How often are you guys having to replace your trackball? My 8900 seems to be going through bout 2 a month lately.. I don't see how they can gum up so damn fast! Anyone have some insight on this?
    03-19-10 07:14 PM
    I've had my 8900 since March of 09 and I'm still with the original trackball. Works good for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 08:48 PM
    Hi,

Mine lasted about 5 months with the original one, and now thinking of changing it because it hardly can move up.

regards,

Ali Tan
    03-19-10 09:05 PM
    try a little rubbing alcohol on a Q tip to keep it clean
    03-19-10 10:14 PM
    try a little rubbing alcohol on a Q tip to keep it clean
    yeah the last 2 times it gummed up i took the track ball assembly apart and cleaned the rollers.. just gets annoying to have to take my phone apart all the time..
    03-19-10 10:20 PM
    Had my 8900 since Feb '09. Haven't had much trouble from the trackball. Still the original one.
    03-19-10 11:42 PM
    Had mine for about 9 mths and work in a sand mine. No problems. It's like your ole lady - take care and all is good
    03-20-10 02:13 AM
    i take really good care of it, it just recently started going through them like crazy.. dunno whats goin on with it
    03-20-10 04:03 AM
    You got oily/sweaty/greasy hands? I've had my original ball for about 6 months now and it's still just as good as new. It goes every which way without and weird behavior. I think a big trick is keeping your hands (your thumb specifically) clean/dry when you use your phone. My girlfriend has had her pearl for some time, she uses lotion n' all that, and her trackball is so hard to maneuver. I can barely get it to do anything! Her trackball is just so slippery.

A couple of times mine has gotten "stuck" in that it won't roll in one direction. When that happens I just grip the surface of the ball with my nail and move it in the direction it's stuck in. Once I get some movement I just wiggle it around in every direction really fast for a while to clear up the rollers and then I'm good to go.

Also, I had my old pearl for about 2.5 years and I never once had to replace the ball. It still rolls pretty good and is my backup phone should anything happen to my curve.
    03-20-10 04:30 AM
    Had mine for over a year and every once in awhile I use canned air to blow mine out, never any problems for me.
    03-20-10 05:19 AM
    If your trackball is getting dirty all the time then you need to change your habits.

Wipe your thumb real quick on your shirt before you touch it.

Stop carrying the BlackBerry in your pocket, there's lint and other dirt in there.

Don't let others touch it without clean fingers.

If you see a hair near it, blow on it and get rid of it.

And many more. I've never had a problem with any BlackBerry trackball from any device I've owned.
    03-20-10 10:42 AM
    At first mine would get yucky a lot, but nothing a q-tip dipped ina alcohol couldn't fix. I'm going on 6 months now and it works great, haven't had to wipe it since October! I always have clean fingers when I use it and I keep it in its own pocket in my purse.

03-20-10 10:47 AM
    I've had my 8900 a little over a year now and I still have the original track ball. I clean mine every couple of weeks with an alcohol pad. I'm a mechanic and it gets pretty dirty. But now that I've posted this I'm jinksed and its going to go bad on me.

03-20-10 03:15 PM
    Never after a year of use. Keep my hands clean and wipe the face grease and dust away frequently with a lens cleaning cloth.
    03-20-10 11:51 PM
    I had my 8900 for a little while, and the the trackball went bad, but then would work. Until it just went completely out. I ended up not replacing the trackpad, just got a new phone.
    03-20-10 11:54 PM
    Never after a year of use. Keep my hands clean and wipe the face grease and dust away frequently with a lens cleaning cloth.
    This. Wash your hands, people.
    03-21-10 12:17 AM
    i had mine for about a year and 1 month now. and its done...it gets all stuck, moves slow and its frustrating, tried the q-tip with the alcohol on it...didnt help. it used to, but now it gets stuck..grrr. need helpp.... :-(
    03-21-10 06:18 PM
    Keep your hands clean and you should have no issues. I had mine for a year. No probs, except the occasional piece of dirt, which I blow into the crack and it usually does the trick. I have never had to disassemble.
    03-21-10 10:12 PM
    I've had my 8900 for about a year and I've only had to clean it twice. Best advice I can offer is to make sure you try to keep your hands clean when using the device.

03-21-10 10:24 PM
    None since my purchase in February 2009.
    03-21-10 11:53 PM
    none since my purchase in May 2009.

I do use 100% alcohol to clean my berry n trackball a couple of times a month, that does help to make the trackball smoother.
    03-22-10 12:26 AM
    Mine still works perfectly already a year passed as my tour keeps touring! I clean it with alcohol from time to time and clean my hands before using it and blow particles with the air blower for electronic devices from time to time also!

03-22-10 05:47 AM
    My first 8900, the ball started sticking about 2 weeks after I got it. I got a warrenty replacement when the trackball dome cratered and havent had a single issue yet, been about 6 months. I wonder if there were upgrades in processes or materials on the production line? I heard much more about trackball problems from early adopters.
    03-22-10 09:21 AM
    I've had my 8900 since March of 09 and I'm still with the original trackball. Works good for me.
    Ditto! I also clean my BB (ball and all) daily with 70% alcohol...no problems thus far.

03-23-10 01:51 AM
    I've had my 8900 since August and have been using the original trackball. The alcohol wipe method works really well for me as well. I also noticed when I upgraded to 5.0 that the trackball seemed be more predictable and smoother overall.
    03-31-10 05:44 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD