I looked at my file free and it says I have 34605987 bytes.

I can't figure out if this is good or bad.

Also can someone explain it to me so I could figure it out on my own next time.

Thank you so much
    Dana
    02-15-09 08:08 PM
    I think its about 33 MB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 08:14 PM
    It's real easy to compare that to the File Total and take a stab at it yourself and see how it compares.

02-15-09 08:18 PM
    Well, that says you have about 34mB (megabytes) of free memory, and that's pretty good.

Your 8830 has 64mB, and uses about half of that for the operating system and basic applications. I'm guessing you do not have many (if any) 3rd party applications installed, and probably not many emails in your inbox.

You want to have at least 10 or 12mB of free memory. When it gets much below that level, you run the risk of running out of memory. When that happens the BB will dump stored emails, sms messages, call logs, etc without warning to conserve memory and prevent a lockup. This will happen at some memory level below 10mB or so. Sometimes you will be fine at 6mB, sometimes it will dump at 8 or 9mB.

You can free up unused memory by doing a battery pull occasionally -- some people do a battery pull regularly every week, some every day, some never. But if you see free memory below 10mB then it is a good idea to do a battery pull.

But -- 34mB is a very good number !!

Hope that helps.
    02-15-09 08:18 PM
    Thank you Go Blue and sinkcolinsink. I have to update my phone status thing because I now have an 8330 Curve.

Also, hbailonjr, When I go to options and status, it doesn't tell me the file total. Do you think there is somewhere else I could maybe look for that information at?
    02-15-09 08:29 PM
    you can hit alt lshift H as well to see file free
    02-15-09 08:36 PM
    As Tremortality said.
    I tend to take a look there every now and then when I feel like my BB is getting sluggish. I usually try to keep about 17MB free so, it seems as though you are keeping the memory consumption on the low side, which is a very good thing for your BlackBerry.

02-15-09 08:44 PM
    Thank you Go Blue and sinkcolinsink. I have to update my phone status thing because I now have an 8330 Curve.

Also, hbailonjr, When I go to options and status, it doesn't tell me the file total. Do you think there is somewhere else I could maybe look for that information at?
    Well, in that case, *almost* everything I said before is still true.

However, your 8330 has 96mB total memory rather than the 64mB I described for the 8830. The CDMA OS uses about 30mB more memory than the GSM OS, so you end up with about the same amount of free memory in the end.

So, your 34mB free is still a good number. My 8330 runs about 24 to 28mB free, but I have many 3rd party apps and several (9) BIS mailboxes.

You are correct that the 8330 does not show total memory in the status screen. Previous models did so, but the 8330 only shows free memory.

Hope that helps.
    02-16-09 10:54 AM

Well, in that case, *almost* everything I said before is still true.

However, your 8330 has 96mB total memory rather than the 64mB I described for the 8830. The CDMA OS uses about 30mB more memory than the GSM OS, so you end up with about the same amount of free memory in the end.

So, your 34mB free is still a good number. My 8330 runs about 24 to 28mB free, but I have many 3rd party apps and several (9) BIS mailboxes.

You are correct that the 8330 does not show total memory in the status screen. Previous models did so, but the 8330 only shows free memory.

Hope that helps.
    02-16-09 10:55 AM
    Ok, I have TwitterBerry, Quick Pull and Viigo as 3rd party apps and have usually 45.6mb. So is that good?
    03-16-09 10:16 AM
    Ok, I have TwitterBerry, Quick Pull and Viigo as 3rd party apps and have usually 45.6mb. So is that good?
    45.6 is quite good

No worries there...
    03-16-09 11:18 AM
    Glad I read this..... battery pull time lol.
    Had 11mb left
    03-16-09 11:28 AM
    Coming into this late, but maybe someone can suggest a fix. I have a BB 8830 from Verizon. They only start out at about 46mb, and once I add in my third party programs, I find I am down to 4mb immediately after a battery pull. this gets down to 0 pretty quickly, and i get the revolving hourglass, and it hangs up. I already store most add-ons an an SD card. Any way to increase memory, or delete part of the operating system?
    08-18-09 09:21 AM
    also i just noticed that when i deleted texts and emails and cleared the event log ( hold alt and press lglg) i gained a whole mb of free space, so im sitting pretty at 30 or so
    08-18-09 09:30 AM
    My 8330 shows a total memory... Around 84 mb...

After battery pull I had 47 mb free.
    Last edited by rayman21186; 08-18-09 at 11:30 AM.
    08-18-09 11:24 AM
    I have QuickPull, QuickLaunch, PeekaWho, BerryWeather, UberTwitter, Poynt, Facebook, Wordpress app, Pandora, Opera Mini, Bolt, Google Sync, a custom theme, and the Fictionwise eReader app all installed, and I still have 30256140 bytes free. I think that's pretty good.
    08-18-09 01:44 PM
    Just an fyi. if you check out some of the tutorials on here regarding freeing up file memory, you can save even more. I have lots of apps and a couple themes several emails and I stay around 41-43 file free with quickpull scheduled to run overnight.

I'm also on a hybrid so that may help as well
    08-18-09 02:08 PM
    I didnt know how to do this.

Thank you, now I have even easier quick access to the essential details
    08-21-09 10:35 AM
    I have the 8310 from att and my free is always between 12 and 17mb and it seems I have to do a battery pull once a day to get back up to 17. My starting mem is only 57mb guess I got jipped from the start. But I am running the 163 os that was only released for like 3 days then pulled and replaced with 161 but it won't let me downgrade to 161. Any thought? Just trying to get by until the onyx is released...

08-21-09 12:21 PM
    I dont understand the gb/kb etc. I just know that I dont store tons of stuff so whenever its something I want to store, i should have plenty of gb/kb's to do so
    08-21-09 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD