I can still get it . Should I?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 08:41 PM
    Doesn't seem worth it to me. The deductable alone is more than the cost of the phone with 2 year contract

05-17-09 08:49 PM
    Doesn't seem worth it to me. The deductable alone is more than the cost of the phone with 2 year contract

True. And also, with the purchase of the phone you get one year warranty off the bat, what more could you need?
    05-17-09 08:50 PM

But what if you don't qualify for a device upgrade with contract extension? The Curve 8900 costs $480 (at least, that's what I paid for mine since I didn't qualify for an upgrade (only five months in my current contract).

The deductable is a pain, but it's the monthly fee the one that stings. I pay $6/month for insurance on a T-Mobile Shadow and $10/month for the Curve 8900.

Think about how easy or hard it's going to be to replace your berry if it breaks, takes a dive or it gets lost/stolen. Can you afford $400+ to get a new one outright? Can you settle with a used one from eBay or Craiglist, or can you settle for an older but less expensive model? If you answered No to any of these questions, you might want to add the insurance.

If on the other hand, you are not too sold on your 8900 and are thinking of getting rid of it in the near future (resell it or give it to someone close to you), then don't bother with the insurance.
    05-17-09 09:39 PM
    I'm just don't throw mine against a brick wall so I don't need it.
    05-17-09 09:41 PM
    I have the insurance just incase I lose my phone. Replacement phone cost they said was 150. So for me its worth it.

05-17-09 09:45 PM
    i have always had the insurance.
    when i was with my previous carrier i replaced my phone twice.
    it was very much worth it.
    do the math and if you still don't think so, when you need one for whatever reason, go ahead and fork out the dough.
    if i need one, i'll be getting a new one @ $150.
    oh yeah, the one year warranty will most likely have you send it in for repairs not just a flat out replacement.
    i'm sure i'll hear from people about how that's not true and how they've done it, but that's people for you. i just know what the warranty contract states.

by the way, why didn't the poster just make a POLL.
    a poll would make more sense, literally, than just posting responses.
    05-17-09 09:52 PM
    I didn't, I figured $5.99 per month + deductible it comes out to $222 per year and by next year they probably will have a new BB out.
    05-17-09 10:10 PM
    Since I paid full price for mine, I had to get it! It's like getting a brand new Cadillac, are you gonna drive it without insurance? I don't think so!

05-17-09 10:15 PM
    If you don't have insurance your a fool.... I've had it so long that come september... If I lose/break whatever my phone the deductable is waived....and I've used it about 6 times already... Worth it everytime.

05-17-09 10:34 PM
    I've lost or broken a phone several times and was always able to replace it for less than what the insurance would have cost. Example: My wife just broke her Pearl, 18 months after we bought it. We would have paid $108 in insurance plus about $100 deductable, for a total of $208. Right now you can get an unlocked Pearl for $119 on Ebay. Instead I got her an 8900 with a two year contract extension for $99. So the insurance cost would have been higher than the actual replacement cost.
    05-17-09 11:32 PM
    Hi, UK user here, I lost my wifes handset when on holiday in Florida, threw it in the trash by accident lol, when we returned home i called Orange UK and they sent out a replacement re-con for a fraction of the cost compared to what i would of paid for insurance over the year.

I would say the replacment handset was as new condition, it didn't come boxed or with charger but i already had these anyway.

personally i don't think insurance is work it, also if you lose your BB what a perfect excuse to uprade to the latest model.
    05-18-09 03:19 AM
    No thanks lol. The monthly fee, $130 deductible, and the risk you may get a different device put me off. Some of the experiences people post don't seem favorable either, chipped up devices or really sucky substitutes. At a base cost of $165 six months in or $202 a year in for a used device I may not even like, I'll cut my losses and just do a partial upgrade or pay full retail.
    Last edited by SpyDude; 05-18-09 at 04:18 AM.
    05-18-09 04:15 AM
    What sucks is for T-mobile and other carriers have a limit on how many claims you can file within a 12-month period. Most carrier's insurance only allow 2 every 12 months, I think. For me, insurance is worth it. Keep it while the phone is expensive. Take it off when the price of a new one decreases. It's there just in case of accidental damage or theft. And it's a no bs deal on most cases. Just call in and a replacement is there tomorrow. Of course, situations will vary. My claims have always been promptly dealt with.
    By the way, I forgot to mention another downside about insurance. The replacement device may most likely be used. And the previous poster's comment about chipped up devices, well, is true for some, if not, most cases. But I doubt even so that it would be really worn. But the fact it is used is a turn-off. Just demand you get a new device or say you'll switch carriers haha!

Last edited by filipinoy973; 05-18-09 at 04:24 AM.
    05-18-09 04:19 AM
    I have insurance cause YOU NEVER KNOW

05-18-09 05:30 AM
    I have always had insurance. Only used it twice and that was probably about 5 years ago. Thank goodness I haven't needed it since then.
    05-18-09 10:05 AM
    I have insurance....not T-mo's, though. I have a personal article policy for it through the same people who provide my car/homeowners insurance. MUCH cheaper and 0 deductible....

FWIW
    05-18-09 10:13 AM
    I was struck by a car when I had my old (first) BlackBerry (an 8100 Pearl) and when I lost that, I had to wait 6 days to get a cheque to pay for my 8900, when I did finally get that, I decided to get the insurance on the 8900, It was only 5.99/month, and because I paid 555.00 (as per the invoice from my T-Mobile shop.) I felt it was well worth it. Not only in the event that I loose, break or damage my 8900, but also just for the peace of mind knowing that I do have *something* to fall back on in the event something happens
    05-18-09 12:11 PM
    I bought it for the first time ever. Remember 2 things: you can only buy it for the upgrade price once, then it's about $450 for the second one. The one year warranty is only if it's defective. The insurance covers it if you drop it, lose it, get it wet (those 3 things happen a lot). My deductable is $130. So I pay $5/month for about $320 worth of coverage. If you have $320 laying around all the time (I actually do) maybe don't get it. You can cancel the insurance anytime you want, like when the price of the phone drops to $200 for instance.
    05-18-09 12:16 PM
    I have an insurance for devices since 2002. I got replacement ones twice times in all years. no regrets..

If you had insurance for 8900. thats mean you and insurance agreed that insurance would pay 370 something and you pay 130, so you should be grateful that insurance pay more than your pay.. and they save your budgets. thats how it works.
    05-18-09 07:50 PM
    I got insurance on my phone...just in case something happens...to me it's worth it...
    05-18-09 07:59 PM
    Ok I don't get how the whole insurance thing works. I got insurance on mine because I lose phones a lot & I'm paying 5.99 monthly. But the salesperson mentioned something about 125$ or somethin & I don't understand. Someone?

05-18-09 07:59 PM
    You are getting a refurbished phone, not a complete new one.
    05-18-09 08:08 PM
    I have had insurance on all of my phones since the Motorola Razr, because you never know when you'll need it.

-Luis
    05-18-09 08:41 PM
    I think the insurance on these phones are a scam from the get go.....BUT yet I still have it. Make it stop!!!!!!!!
    05-18-09 09:02 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD