My old cell phone was set to vibrate but would switch to Loud when I hooked up the charger, and I really miss this feature with my blackberry. I like to have it on vibrate when it's in my pocket, but when I'm at home and it's on the charger, I miss messages. Is there a way to set a different profile for off-charger and on-charger? Or do I have to manually reset the profile every time I put it in my pocket or take it out? Sorry if this is a dumb question! Thanks in advance!
    09-21-08 03:58 PM
    I think the only way would be to manually change the profile to "phone only" when you are charging it. May I ask why you only want it to ring while charging and not be notified of all messages and email? Or do you charge while sleeping?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 05:40 PM
    I like to have it on vibrate while I'm walking around so when I bring it to work etc. it's not ringing because that's rude -- but when I'm at home, I take it out of my pocket and put it on the charger, and then I can't feel it vibrate. I just want to treat it as a regular phone while I'm at home.
    09-21-08 06:21 PM
    Okay then yeah best bet would be to use the "normal" profile while you are at home. Customize the settings in the profile to how you would like to be alerted at home.

And I assume you used the "Vibrate" profile at work. I understand and agree with having it on vibrate only at work. That's professional. Unless it's a work cell phone, that's different. But yeah, personal phone at work on vibrate or silent.
    09-21-08 06:29 PM
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I just thought there might be some way to have an automatic trigger to change profiles when I connect it to the charger, because I used to have a cell phone with a trigger like that.
    09-21-08 06:34 PM
    My first phone from sprint did this and I loved it; no chaning profile or settings, just plug it in and it would ring when I got a call. I would love this functionality in my curve. I know it's only a few key strokes, but any more than zero is more than I think I should have to for this..
    09-22-08 01:17 PM
    Sounds nifty... I don't know how to replicate that on a BB either.
    09-22-08 01:48 PM
    Ya my old Nokia would change profiles automatically when charging, and I really do miss this. Can't have it ringing in the middle of a class but when i go home and charge it I'd like it to change automatically to another profile. The Nokia would also have timed profiles so like after 3pm, the phone would automatically change from vibrate to loud, for example. I do miss those features but my BB can do so much more, I can live with changing my own profiles
    09-22-08 03:35 PM
    I figured out how to make it ring when charging. Well, sort of. I took the holster that it came with and cut it down the sides and made a sort of "charging cradle" like the cell phones of yesteryear had. I cut the front down so that the screen was visible, the charging port was accessible, and the phone would fit easily with one of those rubber skins on it. So when I put it in it's cradle, it thinks it is in the holster (because it is) and the magnet inside the holster triggers the "holster mode". I changed my vibration settings so that when the phone is in the holster, it rings, when it isn't in the holster, it is silent. It works, so now I don't have to keep changing the ringer settings.
    11-22-08 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD