I have an overseas 8520. It's unlocked because when I pop in the SIM card, it works, voice and sms, but when I tried to activate BB service with AT&T, it won't work.

I am thinking the service books must be updated somehow, but I don't know how.

Please help! Thanks.
    05-29-10 12:39 PM
    I have register the device with AT&T. I called them and have the BB plan activated, but still, I can't get the registration email from BB like what I received with my 9700.
    05-29-10 02:22 PM
    I have register the device with AT&T. I called them and have the BB plan activated, but still, I can't get the registration email from BB like what I received with my 9700.
    Have you tried resending the service books? You may want to try contacting ATT and seeing if they can push the service books to your device.
    05-29-10 02:34 PM
    OK. It looks like the BB is working now, thanks for the advise, kellyjdrummer. Now I am trying to upgrade to OS 5.0, and it wouldn't let me.

Any tips?

Thanks.
    05-29-10 02:43 PM
    kellyjdrummer, I already did.

Installation instructions.

Step 1: Download desired OS to your PC.
    Step 2: Install and complete the setup process to have the OS installed.
    Step 3: Remember to delete vendor.xml file if your carrier the OS is not from your carrier.
    Step 4: Do a comprehensive backup in case anything goes wrong.
    Step 5: Connect Bold to PC and click on the Loader and let the process initiate. Loader can be found in the same folder as the vendor.xml file.
    Step 6: Do not unplug the Bold during the process. Process may take around 30-60 minutes to complete.

This is what I used exactly. This is the error I got

"The BB Desktop SW doesn't have BB Device SW for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator."

What is .alx or .ali files?
    05-29-10 02:47 PM
    kellyjdrummer, I already did.

Installation instructions.

Step 1: Download desired OS to your PC.
    Step 2: Install and complete the setup process to have the OS installed.
    Step 3: Remember to delete vendor.xml file if your carrier the OS is not from your carrier.
    Step 4: Do a comprehensive backup in case anything goes wrong.
    Step 5: Connect Bold to PC and click on the Loader and let the process initiate. Loader can be found in the same folder as the vendor.xml file.
    Step 6: Do not unplug the Bold during the process. Process may take around 30-60 minutes to complete.

This is what I used exactly.
    Three questions;

1.) Did you just download the OS or did you install it after downloading?
    2.) Did you disconnect from the internet on the PC prior to trying the update?
    3.) Did you delete any previous OS's that may have been installed on your PC?
    Last edited by kwkid; 05-29-10 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Addition
    05-29-10 02:50 PM
    1. I clicked the .exe on the OS after download and it's installed in the PC. I managed to delete the vendor.xml and clicked loader.exe and that's the error message I got
    2. my PC is always online
    3. Yes, this is the only BB OS in my PC
    05-29-10 03:03 PM
    1. I clicked the .exe on the OS after download and it's installed in the PC. I managed to delete the vendor.xml and clicked loader.exe and that's the error message I got
    Great, ok, follow up question:

What OS did you download and where did you download it from? I have heard several people mention that you should disconnect from the internet while doing the update when it is NOT an update for the provider you are currently using. My guess is that when connected to the internet it checks for an official update and thereby won't let the installed OS load.
    05-29-10 03:11 PM
    When I click on your link I get the following:

We're Sorry...

* You've entered this page in error because you have the incorrect link.

Please make sure that you have the correct link to download BlackBerry software.

If you have any questions, please contact the webmaster.
    05-29-10 03:42 PM
    Also, here is another link to try from HootyHoo:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/up...system-444046/
    05-29-10 03:47 PM
    I download using the sticky from the top page (5.0.0681 from Singapore Telecom)
    05-29-10 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD