I have Blackberry 8530 Curve and my service is from Sprint. I had OS Version 5.0.0.654 + some latest apps installed on my Blackberry before. Last week I got it wet and after it dried-out some of the programs and the apps got severly corrupted and stopped working. For example, when my Blackberry boots boots it gives me "Unauthorized exception: Index 6>=6". Also, email and SMS do not work [it freezes or does not click at all on them or gives me some error messages regarding some files which failed - each time something new]. Also, Blackberry desktop manager can not communicate with the Blackberry normally [it recognizes the Blackberry but says that the battery is dead]

To make a long story short - I want to format everything and reinstall OS 5.0.0.654 and the apps from scratch. The problem is that when I run the Loader in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader" it connects fine with the Blackberry and communicates fine with it, BUT it only attempts to install "new" things and not to over-write the existing ones .... What do I do?
    08-28-10 11:32 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry Digger

I would recommend a few things.

First off, if you can - back up your contacts and such from your phone.

Secondly - download the program in my signature called BBSAK
    - Install the program
    - Open the program and plug in your Blackberry
    - If Desktop Manager opens - close it
    - Do a Factory Wipe with BBSAK

Thirdly - OS install
    - Follow this tutorial on how to install an OS onto your phone.
    - Or - you can use the App Loader that you used previously to install the OS. Personally I like the App Loader Method more. It seems more straight forward.

That should do it. However, I would imagine that your phone could be permanently messed up from the water damage. But, this is a start.

If you have any questions along the way - please post here. We would love to help you out. Keep us up to date on how it goes.
    08-28-10 11:56 PM
    Thank you so much, Nathan!

I followed the steps which you wrote and my Blackberry Curve is now better than it was before!

Even when I got it in the first place [7 months ago] it used to have some software-related problems. Sometimes it would freeze. Often it would start working very slowly for few minutes [like logging behind]. Sometimes some apps would fail and Blackberry Desktop often prompted some problems and errors while connecting [it would suddenly tell me that it can not connect to the device when I would try to backup and/or sync it .... but sometimes it would not prompt me like that]. And my Blackberry was new when I got it [it was not refurbished]

Well, after I "cleaned" the whole thing and reinstalled everything it works much faster and smoother [than even before it got water damage]! And Blackberry Desktop has no problems communicating with it now. And all the apps, which I had problems or issues with before, now work perfectly. Even some apps, which I tried to install before and could not I was able to install now :-)

The only problem is, that apparently all the Backups, which I used to do with Blackberry Desktop every few weeks were never actually created .... Now I am working on restoring all the info I can "by hand" .... But now the Backup option actually does create valid Backups [I checked it].

Anyhow, thank you so much for your help and advice!

Gold Digger
    08-29-10 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD