08-21-09 08:50 AM
31 12
tools
    Here's the back story.

I got an 8310 from AT&T and used it for a few months until the iPhone came out. Before it came out, I read how you can call AT&T and they'll give you the unlock code to enter. I did that, it appears to have accepted it, and that was the end of that.

Now I'm considering selling the phone and I don't want to be dishonest, so I want to test it and make sure it's truly unlocked. The problem is that I don't know anybody with t-mobile for me to test it! Is there anything in the settings of the phone that would say whether or not it is unlocked?

Thanks.
    10-29-08 12:41 PM
    options>advanced options>sim card

if at the top is says security disabled, then it is unlocked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 12:43 PM
    Awesome, thanks. I don't have the phone with me but I will test it tonight.

I appreciate it.
    10-29-08 12:45 PM
    options>advanced options>sim card

if at the top is says security disabled, then it is unlocked

Benzworm, I think the Jay means unlocked as in being able to use another carriers SIM card, that is not from the original carrier of the phone.

Jay borrow a non AT&T SIM pop it in the phone, when the phone boots up it will either work or show the message Unregistered SIM. If it works it's unlocked.
    10-29-08 01:05 PM
    Or you can do JUST what BW said! At the top it will say security Disabled. No need for another SIM.

Attachment 5433
    10-29-08 01:10 PM
    Benzworm, I think the Jay means unlocked as in being able to use another carriers SIM card, that is not from the original carrier of the phone.

Jay borrow a non AT&T SIM pop it in the phone, when the phone boots up it will either work or show the message Unregistered SIM. If it works it's unlocked.

ya i know... but that is how to do it without a sim installed

10-29-08 01:14 PM
    ya i know... but that is how to do it without a sim installed

Oh Ok you meant after typing in MEPD on the SIM CARD screen to bring up the Menu/Screen that pltaylor shows in his post.. Got it. Otherwise just seeing SIM CARD:Security Disabled at the top of the screen in your original post, is just telling you that the SIM card password is turned off.

Options - Advanced Options - Sim Card - type MEPD, and the screen below will pop up, it will look like the one below if the phone is not unlocked, and like the screen in pltaylor's post, if it is unlocked.

Attachment 5439 Attachment 5440

Then If you see that Network says Disabled, the phone is indeed unlocked.
    If Network says Active, you will need to redo the unlocking steps you were given by AT&T.

not picking nits, or saying anyone is wrong, just making sure he sees what he needs to see, to make sure his phone is unlocked. Please forgive lousy mousepad drawing skills.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 10-29-08 at 03:25 PM.
    10-29-08 03:21 PM
    hehe drawing skills aside, all this info is very helpful. I'll post my findings later.
    10-29-08 03:42 PM
    When the phone is unlocked,what type of sim cards can I use. Does the phone carrier matter? Boost mobile,t mobile ,sprint,etc. Can anyone help me. My curve is unlocked and wanted to know what types of sims can I use

10-29-08 04:08 PM
    you can use almost any gsm sim card. boost is cdma and i dont even know wth tracfone is...

10-29-08 04:12 PM
    Benzworm I have to ask... what are that thing in the picture with you?
    10-29-08 04:18 PM
    hahah
    wings.... i am going to be an angel for haloween, but i am an angel every day

oh, and im cheesy...

10-29-08 04:21 PM
    Here's the back story.

I got an 8310 from AT&T and used it for a few months until the iPhone came out. Before it came out, I read how you can call AT&T and they'll give you the unlock code to enter. I did that, it appears to have accepted it, and that was the end of that.

Now I'm considering selling the phone and I don't want to be dishonest, so I want to test it and make sure it's truly unlocked. The problem is that I don't know anybody with t-mobile for me to test it! Is there anything in the settings of the phone that would say whether or not it is unlocked?

Thanks.
    Jay, do you (or anyone reading this for that matter) if the GPS onboard an unlocked 8310 will work with Tmo?

If so, I might be interested in your phone.

Thanks
    10-29-08 04:27 PM
    Benzworm I have to ask... what are that thing in the picture with you?
    You haven't seen anything. BW is very....Photogenic. You never know what you'll get.
    10-29-08 04:29 PM
    the gps would be useable...

and thank yo pltaylor! i needed that ego boooost!

10-29-08 04:37 PM
    Thanks for all the help, you were all correct.

10-29-08 11:58 PM
    sweeet
    and nice mac pro!
    10-30-08 12:06 AM
    Ah thanks. It's a rev A macbook pro, been using it daily for over two and a half years now - never a hiccup.
    10-30-08 12:09 AM
    Gettin' kinda Sappy in this thread
    10-30-08 12:14 AM
    hahaha hey better than than namecalling and hatred.
    10-30-08 12:15 AM
    Gettin' kinda Sappy in this thread
    I'll fix that.... You are all Berry Addicts and you you.... you touch your berries!
    And Dawg... you're a DAWG! Arf! or is that Ruff?
    **flinging mud at everyone**

So Jay... how much did you want for that there Curve you'll going to be selling?
    10-30-08 09:27 AM
    Well used, unlocked ones on ebay are going in the neighborhood of ~$200. I have all the accessories for it, except for the little pocket case it comes with, and it has little use. I've also updated it with 4.5.0.81. I'll probably throw it on the Marketplace and see what happens.
    10-30-08 10:29 AM
    Hey all I was going to ask this same question.

I bought an unlock code, installed it per the instructions. My Curve screen does say Sim Card: Security Disabled
    But, below this is ID: with a long number,(I think its the unlcok code?)
    And below this shows my phone number. Is this o.k.? is the phone unlocked for other services use?
    11-01-08 03:22 PM
    the code below it is your imei (device serial number)
    11-01-08 03:52 PM
    So I'm o.k. then? The device is unlocked yes?
    11-01-08 04:26 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD