Hi everyone! I am new to the blackberries and just got my first ever blackbery (8330 curve). So far loving it and don't think I will ever go back to a regular phone again. I am interested in changing the housing on the phone, but obviously have never done it before.

I was wondering if I could send my phone off with the new housing I wanted to a service/someone trustworthy who would change it and send it back to me. I would be willing to pay a little $ for the service, maybe like 10 or 15 dollars. I don't trust myself with changing it on my phone, I think I would screw it up!

Thanks for any responses!
    05-27-10 02:28 PM
    its really easy

i just changed the color part and left the middle section black as it looked better. they have videos on youtube that show you how to do it.
    05-27-10 02:41 PM
    How did you do that? I have watched the videos, but they look very complicated. All I want to do is change the main house-plate front cover and the battery door, nothing else. Is there an easier way to get around that without having to disassemble all the sides and everything? When I unscrew the back would I be able to just pry and change the front? That's what I'm unsure of/if anyone could even do the full change I would take it.
    05-27-10 02:45 PM
    yep thats exactly it, take the battery door off, unscrew the 4 screws and very gently take the top off, its is glue taped and its strong so just be firm and gentle and it comes off in one piece.

make sure you buy the torx screwdriver and pry thing as well as some extra screws because I stripped one and also make sure the housing comes with the foam underneath the screen. if they dont mention it make sure you ask first.
    05-27-10 03:08 PM
    It is very easy. The one thing to worry about is making sure that you order a quality housing. I replaced my sister's with a cheap metallic one from ebay. It did not fit correctly and it cracked less than 2 weeks after I put it on.
    05-27-10 03:31 PM
    Ok, sorry again I am still a little confused. I have a few more questions if any of you wouldn't mind answering I'd really appreciate it.

1). I'm still a little confused. So could I just remove the faceplate cover and nothing else? And I would just do this by unscrewing the screws in the back and then replacing it?
    2). Does anyone have a good video that's easy to follow for this, maybe one where just the faceplate is replaced?
    3). Do you have any good ebay recommendation/sellers that I should go to to buy housing?

Thanks so much for your help everyone!
    05-27-10 04:58 PM
    I got my yellow housing from bestblackberryshop items - Get great deals on iPhone 3GS LCD, iPod Headset items on eBay Stores! and it was very good quality. No complaints what so ever with it.

Although I see he only sells iphone stuff now :/

Yes you would remove all 4 screws and just remove the faceplate cover, the clip where your logo is on the bottom holding the 2 pieces together and the back cover part. That's it. While you have it open you can air blow the dirt/dust out and put it all back together.

here's some links on changing faceplates/housings
    YouTube - blackberry curve housing change
    05-27-10 07:56 PM
    I recently changed mine to blue. It was mostly easy except I ended up with a small gap in the one the sides in the middle that I do not know how I ended up with that. I am disappointed. It was my first time and I am only 17 so others may have better luck
    05-27-10 08:40 PM
    you could always use a little superglue to seal it up and i mean little so it doesnt go anywhere else
    05-27-10 09:13 PM
    you could always use a little superglue to seal it up and i mean little so it doesnt go anywhere else
    ive got a body glove on it right now and im going to try and redo it and fix the gap later
    05-27-10 09:15 PM
    Hopefully I do ok! This will be my first time too! But I'm just changing the battery door and they faceplate, not the sides or anything. So hopefully it won't be too hard. I liked your blue! I ordered a yellow one!
    05-28-10 11:33 AM
    Thank you. Its really not very hard. Yellow looks real good, I saw pics on here of a yellow one someone did
    05-28-10 02:03 PM
    Here is a good tutorial with excellent pics:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/hous...change-201687/

Don't clean the inside of your lens with anything other than a soft, clean cloth. don't use alcohol like suggested, it may make the plastic cloudy.

Things to watch out for, don't loosen the side rails and be careful around the headphone jack area. Many people have ended up with dead headphone jacks after a housing change.

Also, be very careful when prying the bottom antenna cover off with a screwdriver. Don't gouge the foil antenna underneath.

Last, but not least, the screws on the top/back of the phone are very fragile and can snap off if you apply too much torque to them. This applies to both loosening and tightening them. Go slowly, and GENTLY.

Good luck.
    05-28-10 03:05 PM
    Thanks for all of your input. I watched a few videos online and read the tutorial. So if I just want to change out faceplates, I would first take out the battery door/battery, take out the two screws behind it, and then loosen the siderails half way down?

And then after taking the faceplate out, could I just put the new one on and then tighten the back two screws again? Or will I have to completely remove the siderails? Thanks!
    05-28-10 05:42 PM
    I changed my housing without loosening the side rails at all. It makes it more difficult to get the faceplate off, but I think it helps you avoid the problems with a non-functioning headphone jack post change.
    05-28-10 07:02 PM
    Thank you!! That was one of the main questions I was unsure about. Ok, so when I get ready to change my faceplate then I will:

1). Unscrew the two screws in the back
    2). Just lift the faceplate up and remove it? So this can be done without having to partially remove the two rubber rails at all?

Once again sorry, I just want to make sure I do this right. I should be getting my housing on Monday hopefully so I will post pictures after I finish it!
    05-28-10 09:48 PM
    Yes, you don't have to loosen the side rails at all.
    05-28-10 10:33 PM
    I have done it more than a few times on an 8310, and I have always loosened the side rails for convenience but it is not neccessary. The only step I don't see mentioned is the clip at the bottom. For mine, it had the AT&T logo on it, might be different on the 8330. Anyway, not to difficult, you just have to go in confident. Good luck!
    05-29-10 02:29 AM
    Here it is! Your guys were right! It was so easy! You just have to go into it confident that you can do it! The only two problems I had was 1). I couldn't help but get dust specks in between. I tried a few times to keep cleaning it/air blowing it off, but for some reason they still got in. No big deal though, as long as I know they aren't scratches I'm good! and 2). The new battery door was a ..... to put on! It took forever but I finally got it! I love it! The yellow was a little lighter than I wanted, but I love how easy it was and took! I think I'll go white next time, but for now and summer this will do!

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
    06-03-10 08:28 PM
    now you have a bumbleberry just like my old 8310 lol

im thinking of blue/white for my 9700 but i think i may go the colorware way this time
    06-03-10 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD