I am on Verizon with the Curve. I know that the curve isnt an international device, but I randomly heard from someone that the bb messenger can still work overseas. Is that true? And if not, what are my options?

I also read that verizon will rent out international phones?

any help here would be greatly appreciated!!!
    01-08-09 03:29 PM
    GSM curves can be unlocked to be used in other countries, they have sim cards, CDMA ones, no

Youd have to check it out as far as data is concerned. I have no idea to be honest.
    01-08-09 03:34 PM
    BB Messenger will work fine across the pond, call Verizon and tell then where you are going, they will put you on an international plan during the duration of your visit...
    01-08-09 03:37 PM
    thanks for the help here and I apologize for my ignorance here but.........the bb messenger is separate from the carrier, correct? so im having trouble understanding why the international data plan from verizon would be necessary....

just curious and thank you thank!!!
    01-08-09 04:18 PM
    To make and receive phone calls...
    01-08-09 04:18 PM
    right, that part makes sense.....but if i just wanted to use the messenger and not get into international calling fees, would my phone work as is??
    01-08-09 04:25 PM
    Yes, it should work just fine...
    01-08-09 04:26 PM
    In CDMA areas, yes. Outside of CDMA areas, no.

There is a lot of CDMA coverage in Europe, contrary to some claims. It isn't as prevalent as GSM, but it is there. Been there, done that & it does work.

Without checking into an international plan, I don't think you'll be happy with charges, as BBM functionality IS tied to the phone and it DOES require carrier connectivity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD