I bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve off of eBay, put my AT&T SIM card in it, and it worked great for about two weeks. Then I ignorantly downloaded a "free theme" and about a week after this, my Blackberry started freezing whenever I would go to make a phone call, the screen just goes black and it freezes until the hourglass comes up and the phone turns back on in about two minutes. Also, if someone tries to call me, my phone will do the exact same thing and they will go straight to voicemail. I have removed all the applications from my phone and done my best to wipe the entire system, but it still freezes whenever I try to make phone calls. It has pretty much stopped freezing at any other times besides when I am attempting to make phonecalls now so there is a slight improvement. Is there any way I can redownload the operating software (even though the phone is unlocked) or what else would be advised that I do?

Thank you!
    02-09-10 11:05 AM
    Upgrading your Curve is simple and is the best chance of curing your problems.

There are two way to upgrade. The simplest is with the BlackBerry Upgrade site:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

This will guide you through the process which will take a couple of hours.

Alternatly, you can upgrade to the most current software verison manualy. You will find the link at the top of each device sub forum.
    02-09-10 12:30 PM
    Thank you for the response! But I just went to the website and hit "update," however it then told me that my blackberry is currently running on the most updated software at this point and therefore no changes were actually made. Is there any way I can uninstall my current software and redownload it so that it begins to work? Please let me know!
    02-09-10 02:43 PM
    That is good news, it means you are running current software. There is a simple way of resetting everything.

Make a backup, then: Options / Security Options / General Settings. Menu / Wipe Handheld.

If you use a utility program like CrackUtil, you can erase the memory content so it has to start fresh. I am not sure if the automatic update can manage that, but you can do it manually.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-374782/

02-09-10 03:24 PM
    I have already done that to "Wipe Handheld," but do you think that if I use CrackUtil to delete everything on the phone I can just completely start over? And if so, which function of CrackUtil would I use? Wipe Device Applications? Wipe Device File System? or Reset IT Policy?

And then after completing that I would use the link you provided to redownload the software? And hopefully it will all work like new?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
    02-09-10 03:39 PM
    You have already tried the easy way, you are ready for the next step.

Before you wipe your BlackBerry, download and install the file. You will also have to prepare it by deleting a security file at:

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Navigate to the bottom and select the file Vendor.xml, then Delete it.

Wipe File System will erase everything leaving a white screen with a JVM 507 status message. That will force a fresh start.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
    Helping make happy BlackBerry users, makes my day.

02-09-10 03:53 PM
    Ok so I just deleted the security file. And I downloaded CrackUtil but I am afraid to use it until I know exactly what I should do. Just attach my Blackberry to the computer and run the program and then select "Wipe File System?" And after I do this, will I just be able to reconnect my Blackberry to my computer and reinstall the operating system? Sorry if this is repetitive, I just want to make sure I am doing everything right and get this problem fixed!
    02-09-10 06:29 PM
    Yes, you have the procedure right.

You will have a factory fresh build when you are done.
    02-09-10 07:10 PM
    I just did everything and I received the 507 error. I then redownloaded the software that you provided the link to, but when I put my SIM card into the phone, the exact same problems continued with it freezing and be unable to make/receive phone calls. Is there any other ways I could fix this problem? Or does it matter that I don't have my SIM card in the phone when I used CrackUtil/reinstalled the operating system?

The good news is, it didn't get any worse! But I am still looking for answers! Thanks again
    02-09-10 08:40 PM
    I guess that is definate now, it is not a software problem.

The SIM card does not have to be installed during the process. It is the next suspect to be ruled out.

Take it to your carrier storefront. They can test it with a know good SIM card and replace yours if required.
    02-10-10 08:57 AM
    Ok, if there is not an issue with SIM card does this mean that my Blackberry will be done forever? Should I look into purchasing a new one?
    02-10-10 10:31 AM
    We have ruled out a software cause, it is now isolated to something in the hardware. It is not likely, that it can be repaired economically, that leaves replacement.

02-10-10 12:24 PM
    does it have a media card in it? if so take it out and see what it does, that might be the error.
    02-10-10 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD