I got my first blackberry about 3 years ago and at the time I purchased it a sprint employee told me that i could have the phone simply as a calling/messaging device and that i did not have to have a data plan/bb plan. awhile ago i got a free upgrade to a bb curve. however when i was activating the curve i was informed that it was apparently impossible for a blackberry to even function w.o a data plan and that you cannot just use the bb as a phone/texting device. i am not able to afford a bb data plan currently but i love my blackberry and want to continue using it and i will probably be able to active the data plan again in the future. but as of now w/o a data plan is there anyway that i can keep using my blackberry on just a regular family talk/text plan? if anyone knows any loop holes or info on how to do this that would be great!!
    07-31-09 10:51 PM
    Yes you can use it with out a data or blackberry plan added, but why would you? You are holding the phone back from its full potenial. Its like buying a porsch and letting you grandmother drive it. No data means no mail, no internet, no blackberry messenger... Just call, dc and text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 11:01 PM
    Not sure what Sprint's policy is. According to what I've read around here, Verizon won't allow it, I have two 8700's without data on T-Mo and a friend is using an ATT Curve without data.You could maybe activate it and then call in and see if you could get the data pkg removed.

Yes you can use it with out a data or blackberry plan added, but why would you? You are holding the phone back from its full potenial. Its like buying a porsch and letting you grandmother drive it. No data means no mail, no internet, no blackberry messenger... Just call, dc and text.
    Well, if you got a free Porsche but couldn't afford the gas to take it out on the freeway, wouldn't you still like to drive it around town?
    07-31-09 11:15 PM
    Doesn't the sprint plan include everything?
    08-01-09 03:54 AM
    Yes so is the blackberry plan if you have a blackberry, but its 99 dollars. He said he can't afford it.

08-01-09 06:33 AM
    Not sure what Sprint's policy is. According to what I've read around here, Verizon won't allow it, I have two 8700's without data on T-Mo and a friend is using an ATT Curve without data.You could maybe activate it and then call in and see if you could get the data pkg removed.

Well, if you got a free Porsche but couldn't afford the gas to take it out on the freeway, wouldn't you still like to drive it around town?
    Sorry, I'm tired, but I just have to point out...

You get better gas mileage on the highway. And you get to use the car as a bit more of a flashier "pizzaz".
    08-01-09 06:58 AM
    Prior to having 5 phones on an everything shared, I had the everything blackberry 450. 69.99 a month and 450 voice minutes, free nights/weekends/sprinttosprint/data unlimited.
    Wasn't too bad.
    08-01-09 07:23 AM
    If u want to text I believe u have to activate the data, then remove it so u can text. I did it about a year ago on a 7100i

08-01-09 12:23 PM
    ok so how should i got about getting it activated w/o data because the last time i went to the sprint store and asked the associate to do it they said it wasent possible for the phone to work w/o data and they refused to help me.
    08-02-09 06:22 PM
    call nextel and ask.... but there are people that are on nextel and dont have data.... im pretty sure about that
    08-02-09 10:24 PM
    Our systems won't allow us to activate a bb without adding the BB plan to it or some type of data SOC. So they are right when they told you it "needed it".

08-03-09 01:32 AM
    kairkurax have you considered using Boost?
    Sounds like this maybe more of what you are looking for.
    If I remember correctly $50/month get you what you are asking about. I would imagine it would depend on if it is available in your area.
    08-03-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD