I recently purchased an unbranded unlocked 8310. I purchased it for a friend so it can be used in Canada. I have a blackberry plan with my 8900. I confirmed that the 8310 was unlocked by checking the status and everything said disabled. When I went home I had trouble changing pins so I can use the 8310 with my account. I called t-mobile and they said the pin is connected to some other att account (they spoke to rim). I then called att and they said it was released and it probably just needs to be associated with an email (What ever that means).

I am worried it may be fake.... the phone works fine with my sim card in. It makes calls, text, and browses the internet... just not blackberry stuff. I was able to connect to my desktop manager and even download programs and themes via tzones.

Is it fake? Is the pin still connected to another account... if so, how can I affordablely release it? att basicly said screw yourself and tmobile said they couldnt help... this is totally stressing me out ... any suggestsions would be soooooo helpful.

Thanks in advance
    08-08-09 10:38 AM
    If you go to the BIS website for your carrier and enter the PIN/IMEI combo and and it is a no go then either the PIN is still registered to another account, or your are entering the PIN or IMEI wrong. Be careful of zeroes and the letter O. They can look similar. Usually the zero is a little more squished. If AT&T says they cleared the PIN then you should be able to do a PIN swap on your BIS account.

Also did you check the service books? When you put in your sim your carrier's service books should automatically download to the phone. The phone must be on and connected to the internet to do a PIN swap. If the BIS site cannot talk to the phone then the PIN will not register.
    Last edited by jackbox; 08-08-09 at 11:29 AM.
    08-08-09 11:26 AM
    I recently purchased an unbranded unlocked 8310. I purchased it for a friend so it can be used in Canada...

I am worried it may be fake.... the phone works fine with my sim card in. It makes calls, text, and browses the internet... just not blackberry stuff....
    Yes, there is a chance that the software that unbranded the device has also attempted to conceal the true history with a PIN number change.
    08-08-09 11:41 AM
    So, if the phones pin is connected to another account and ATT and Tmobile cannot help, it there another way to reset/release the pin?

also, if the software that unbranded the phone made a pin change ( what can be done)... the pin and Imei # on the phone match what it says behind hte batter though
    08-08-09 02:35 PM
    when i put my sim in my carriers service books did not register
    08-08-09 02:35 PM
    Have you tried logging in to your carrier's, or AT&T's BIS site to change the device PIN on your email accts?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what...site-url-3187/
    08-08-09 02:46 PM
    Yea I tried that, and it says invalid pin or imei... I spoke to RIM and they said the pin was connected to a pearl in spain and the fact that my log in screen was tmobile, even though tmobile does not sell the 8310, suggests something funky is going on (its fake) and to return it to the seller..

I bought this 2 days ago on craigslist and the dude said he would sell it to someone else to give me the money back... I will call him today and threaten him with some bs about calling the cops about selling illegal/counterfit products if he doesnt get my money back by tomorrow... is there anything I can threaten him with???

wish me luck guys
    08-08-09 08:15 PM
    Don't scare him off, or you might not get your money back.

You are lucky he's even responding back to you. Usually, with CL transactions, once the money exchanges hands that's all she wrote on it.
    08-08-09 08:24 PM
    cool... thanks for your advice.. the guy seems nice. He feels bad and says he would try to get my money back via another sale. I will follow your advice and try to play it cool and just keep thanking him (make him feel good about helping me).
    08-08-09 08:31 PM
    Your login screen is T-Mobile because you are a T-Mobile customer. That has nothing to do with the origins of the PIN. It doesn't mean the phone is fake. But if the PIN is still connected to an account in Spain all that means for sure is that the phone was used there and the owner didn't do a PIN change or ask their carrier to clear the PIN. Could be a prior delinquent account, stolen pin, etc. Many possibilities. But the best one for you in this case is to play nice, get your money back, and always, always ask a seller about the PIN and if it is clear. If they don't answer clearly or don't understand the questions (which I find to be the most common response) don't buy the phone. Without a clear PIN a BB is like a lame racehorse.
    08-08-09 09:14 PM
    It doesn't mean the phone is fake. But if the PIN is still connected to an account in Spain all that means for sure is that the phone was used there and the owner didn't do a PIN change or ask their carrier to clear the PIN.
    The phone sold/purchased is a Curve 8310, and the PIN is associated with a Pearl in Spain. Sounds super fishy to me.
    08-08-09 09:34 PM
    so what is the best way to check if a CL phone is good. I am thinking to check if its unlocked... then call tmobile and ask them to see if the pin is released so I can put it on my blackberry plan...

any other suggestions?
    08-08-09 09:43 PM
    so what is the best way to check if a CL phone is good. I am thinking to check if its unlocked... then call tmobile and ask them to see if the pin is released so I can put it on my blackberry plan...

any other suggestions?
    Yes, ask for the PIN before the meet, or at the meet, before you hand over the money. Call your carrier and ask them to check if the PIN and IMEI is clear (ESN/MEID for cdma).

Some people arrange the meeting at the carrier's store so that the phone can be activated there (more applicable to cdma phones), for GSM phones definitely see if your sim works in the phone.
    08-08-09 09:50 PM
    Thanks to everyones advice... The guy was really cool and gave me the money back (or everything but $10... lol). I learned my lesson real well.

1) Always ask about the pin and make sure its released before buying the used phone
    2) Be suspicious about unbranded phones, especially cross branded phones ( ie 8310 tmobile)
    3) stick to newer phones when getting used phones

im going to get my sister an 8900 like me...
    08-09-09 12:06 AM
    Yes, ask for the PIN before the meet, or at the meet, before you hand over the money. Call your carrier and ask them to check if the PIN and IMEI is clear (ESN/MEID for cdma).

Some people arrange the meeting at the carrier's store so that the phone can be activated there (more applicable to cdma phones), for GSM phones definitely see if your sim works in the phone.
    I was thinking about picking up a spare 8310 off eBay because some go for low prices. I emailed a lot of sellers and asked about the PIN and all but one had no idea what I was talking about. So the best advice is go in person, bring a notebook with wireless access, put your sim in the phone and attempt a pin change before paying. That is the only to guarantee the PIN is truly available.
    08-09-09 01:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD