Hi guys so i have been lurking around the forums for quite a while and now i am convinced that i need a blacberry after using one for a week . I found it so much better than my nokia e71 . Little things like being able to copy from anywhere and just typing r for a reply made a lot of differnece not to mention the threaded messages much better integeration of email . I can go on but the point is finally i am ready to pay extra for the bb data plan and even downgrade my gadget profile .

The ony confusion is which one to get the older 8310 or newer 8520 . I know the basic differences between the two but as will be using it only for mail and im's I am hoping a slower processor and smaller ram on 8310 wont hurt its performance too much ( i will be on the mail only data plan from my provider which does not have web browsing and other third party apps as such )
    Wont be getting the javelin or bold cause firstly i dont have 3g where i live and secondly i am planning for a bettr upgrade later next year

So finally sorry for the long rant and looking for feedback as i will be making the purchase in just two days
    10-07-09 04:21 PM
    Either one of those is a solid choice but the 8500 might run a little faster due to having more memory.
    10-07-09 04:35 PM
    The ony confusion is which one to get the older 8310 or newer 8520 . I know the basic differences between the two but as will be using it only for mail and im's I am hoping a slower processor and smaller ram on 8310 wont hurt its performance too much ( i will be on the mail only data plan from my provider which does not have web browsing and other third party apps as such )
    In theory, having the slower processor won't hurt you too much. If you're only using it for e-mail and IM (besides the fact that you're missing out on a lot of other things, like GPS and WiFi), you could go with the slower processor. But read on...

Wont be getting the javelin or bold cause firstly i dont have 3g where i live and secondly i am planning for a bettr upgrade later next year
    Quick correction to your understanding: The Javelin (or the new Curve) is not 3G, so not something you need to worry about. But as I mentioned above, you still get GPS and WiFi. With WiFi, even if you don't browse websites, your e-mail and phone calls will go over WiFi instead of the cell network when you are logged into a hotspot, saving you minutes. That alone may be worth the extra cash.

HTH
    CJ
    10-07-09 04:37 PM
    In theory, having the slower processor won't hurt you too much. If you're only using it for e-mail and IM (besides the fact that you're missing out on a lot of other things, like GPS and WiFi), you could go with the slower processor. But read on...

Quick correction to your understanding: The Javelin (or the new Curve) is not 3G, so not something you need to worry about. But as I mentioned above, you still get GPS and WiFi. With WiFi, even if you don't browse websites, your e-mail and phone calls will go over WiFi instead of the cell network when you are logged into a hotspot, saving you minutes. That alone may be worth the extra cash.

HTH
    CJ
    thanx for the fast replies but please correct me if i am wrong isnt UMA a Tmobile specific function through which data and voice gets routed over wifi . As i am not from USA i wont b using Tmo either
    10-07-09 04:50 PM
    Yea I would go with the 8520, is a pretty good upgrade from the 8310 and not a big difference money wise...
    10-07-09 04:57 PM
    Not money but i kinda like the older series design .... dont really dig the 8520 with media keys , but if performance is the case then i might go with curve 8900
    10-08-09 02:55 AM
    I would go with the 8520 if I had the choice but if you do go with the 8300 you are not making a bad decision

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 03:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD