I bought an 8320 curve from tmobile and followed the guide to get some free space back. I can get about 25 mb back, but noticed the phone holds nearly 95 mb. I can see my mb's from the blackberry app world application's memory bar. I notice I can download an program for 326 kb, but I'll lose maybe 2 mb. How is that possible or is something else going on? Also, when I search the devices software on my pc, I see files for my deleted apps. Can I delete those? I think maybe they are different languages. How can I get to maybe 50 mb free??
    08-10-09 09:16 PM
    I bought an 8320 curve from tmobile and followed the guide to get some free space back. I can get about 25 mb back, but noticed the phone holds nearly 95 mb. I can see my mb's from the blackberry app world application's memory bar. I notice I can download an program for 326 kb, but I'll lose maybe 2 mb. How is that possible or is something else going on? Also, when I search the devices software on my pc, I see files for my deleted apps. Can I delete those? I think maybe they are different languages. How can I get to maybe 50 mb free??
    You can use BBFile Scout to get rid of all the sample media and unused ringtones/wallpapers.

You can use CrackMem or Shrink-A-OS to remove preloaded programs i.e. VAD, languages, games, etc.

I would also recommend you reading the Increase File Free thread in my sig along with the BB101 Lecture Series, if you havent read through it already.
    08-10-09 09:21 PM
    I've read the tutorial and have done all of the things in the thread. I still can get to about only 25mb free. I search through my device software on my computer and see the files for my deleted items. I don't know if they're foreign languages or what. I just don't know what else to do to get more space. Also, why does downloading an app with 326kb take off 1-2 mb of space??
    08-10-09 09:29 PM
    I've read the tutorial and have done all of the things in the thread. I still can get to about only 25mb free. I search through my device software on my computer and see the files for my deleted items. I don't know if they're foreign languages or what. I just don't know what else to do to get more space. Also, why does downloading an app with 326kb take off 1-2 mb of space??
    Ok then what do you have on your device? What OS are you running? Some OS's will have better memory management than others. Did you use CrackMem or Shrink-A-OS to clean up your OS? What did you check to remove? The app size is one thing, however that app is also going to use memory to operate and run. Thats why it takes down more memory, however every app is different. Amy app that is constantly running, or auto updates, or is using gps is going to eat up memory faster as well as battery.
    08-10-09 09:37 PM
    your not gonna get 50 mb from a 83xx....25 is pretty good. i've got 21 with all the apps, games and themes on mine after getting rid of stuff i didnt need
    08-10-09 09:41 PM
    your not gonna get 50 mb from a 83xx....25 is pretty good. i've got 21 with all the apps, games and themes on mine after getting rid of stuff i didnt need
    This is true. Nice addition I have 48 on my gf's 8330 but nowhere near that many apps. Just a few basic stuff.
    08-10-09 09:43 PM
    How much space did u have free before u added all those apps and after deleting unwanted apps??
    08-10-09 09:44 PM
    I've got BB app world, viigo, crackberry app, facebook, pandora, and quickpull lite. It says in the BB app world's memory bar that I have 18mb free space. I bet it'll be maybe 19 after a battery pull. So, does that sound the norm or could I get more space?? I thought maybe I did something wrong, but now feel after seeing your replies that I may've done things right and shouldn't worry. Also, how did u get opera mini? Is it free? Google maps?
    08-10-09 09:48 PM
    http://mini.opera.com/ yes, it is. And an 8320 has 64MB ram, not 96. The 8330 has 96.

Viigo and facebook are notorious memory hogs in th early model Curves and pearls, so those you'll have to watch.

Redirect

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-10-09 at 09:58 PM.
    08-10-09 09:53 PM
    I've got BB app world, viigo, crackberry app, facebook, pandora, and quickpull lite. It says in the BB app world's memory bar that I have 18mb free space. I bet it'll be maybe 19 after a battery pull. So, does that sound the norm or could I get more space?? I thought maybe I did something wrong, but now feel after seeing your replies that I may've done things right and shouldn't worry. Also, how did u get opera mini? Is it free? Google maps?
    AppWorld has bugs and is a memory hog, I would get rid of it. Viigo is a huge memory hog as well, check your settings and make sure all is set to manual and not auto. This will help, but viigo is massive. You have ye to answer if you have ran SAOS or CrackMem and what you checked to be removed. Also you have not responded with what OS you are running? Help us help you!

Edit: Also keep in mind that the only number you want to know is 10mb. That is the critical threshold where lack of memory will start causing problems. Memory is there to use it!
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 08-10-09 at 09:56 PM.
    08-10-09 09:54 PM
    I've got crackmem on my pc and used it. I got OS 4.5. I removed a lot. Tasks, memo, BB messenger, voice recorder, icq, google talk, my tmob theme, wallpapers and video. VAD and some more stuff. I'm striped to the bare minimum...
    08-10-09 09:58 PM
    I've got crackmem on my pc and used it. I got OS 4.5. I removed a lot. Tasks, memo, BB messenger, voice recorder, icq, google talk, my tmob theme, wallpapers and video. VAD and some more stuff. I'm striped to the bare minimum...
    Sounds like you should have a lot more at startup with all that removed. What 4.5 build are you running? If you are not on the latest OS build for the 8320 then I would load that up and see how the memory management is. Also you have tripled checked in applications on your device to make sure all those programs have been removed?
    08-10-09 10:05 PM
    I guess this is right, but the build is 4.5.081. Also, the apps are gone, but when I check the software with windows explorer, there are some files from the deleted apps still on the device. An example is net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper_resourc_eu.cod What's that?
    08-10-09 10:22 PM
    I guess this is right, but the build is 4.5.081. Also, the apps are gone, but when I check the software with windows explorer, there are some files from the deleted apps still on the device. An example is net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper_resourc_eu.cod What's that?
    I would update your OS to a newer build. Latest for your device is .162 and is stickied in the 83xx forum. Check that out. Also if you havent updated your OS before make sure you read thr BB101 Lecture Series and specially OS upgrade/downgrade procedures before doing so.Link in my sig to the lecture series.

Good Luck!
    08-10-09 10:28 PM
    That is the OS build your carrier recommends. I use the same build and it works well.

You have done a substantial amount of optimizing, 25 Mb is very good for that model.

I think you may be confused about how COD files are used. It is normal to have multiple variations of a file in the .../Java directory. Only the one that matches the Language/Application you have installed, will actualy be used.

The alternate choices are skipped because they are not needed.

If you want to verify which files are actually installed on your BlackBerry:

Options / Advanced Options / Applications. Highlight an Applications and select Menu / View Properties.

As for the 300Kb file taking a couple Mb of memory, I suspect you are actually seeing the effect of the memory manager at works. Sun Java uses an automatic memory manager to optimize performance.

The best way to level the playing field is to check memory immediately after a restart.
    08-11-09 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD