09-09-09 12:10 AM
29 12
tools
    Hey everyone. Hoping someone can help me. I got my phone wet. I dropped it in the toilet and got it out in less than a second and pulled the battery out before it messed up really bad. I left it all night to dry out and turned it on this morning. It turned on and everything worked except the buttons. Do I need to take it apart to get the inside dried out or is this a lost cause? I am totally ******** out bc I just got this a couple months ago and it isn't gonna be cheap to replace.

What do I do?

Thanks,
    Danny Reeves
    07-25-08 10:42 AM
    in the other threads i have read on this, they suggest putting it in a bag of rice for a day or so and the water will dry up
    07-25-08 10:43 AM
    My dad dropped his Treo in the bathtub. He pulled the battery and put it in the oven set at 200 degrees.

This was about 6 months ago and it works as good as ever.

But yes, if you don't like the oven idea, putting it in a bag of rice will suck up the water.
    07-25-08 10:47 AM
    07-25-08 10:49 AM
    thank you so much. I am gonna put it in a bowl of rice and leave it all day. fingers crossed!!!
    07-25-08 11:08 AM
    let us know how it turns out. good luck
    07-25-08 11:10 AM
    oh one more thing. do I need to cover it with rice or just set the phone on top of the rice. I think it will work better with rice completely surrounding it but dont want any grains to get inside it, since I took the back off.

probably doesnt matter but I just wanna make sure I do it right.
    07-25-08 11:24 AM
    i would completely cover it to make sure it really gets all the water out, maybe use long grain too if you're worried about the rice gettin inside the phone
    07-25-08 11:26 AM
    yes complete submerge in the rice, the other person put it in the bag of rice, in the middle and left it the whole day
    07-25-08 11:37 AM
    If rice don't works, I hope you have insurance.
    07-25-08 11:39 AM
    I am very curious how this is going to work out for him
    07-25-08 12:03 PM
    THe same thing happened to me. i just placed my phone in front of a fan for a couple minutes> it still had some bugs but it worked out after a couple of hours. next time i wont come out of the shower and grab my blackberry
    07-25-08 01:47 PM
    LOL... I pay $4.99 for insurance for this reason
    07-25-08 02:03 PM
    If rice don't works, I hope you have insurance.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!
    07-25-08 02:06 PM
    LOL... I pay $4.99 for insurance for this reason
    yeah but i couldnt get insurance, and now att is offering insurance but only if you buy a new bb, so my berry now still has no insurance, but when i get the bold i will get it for sure
    07-25-08 02:07 PM
    I am very sorry to hear about your BB!!! :-( I just had to replace mine a few weeks ago...I placed it in the sun to dry for 3 days...It came back on and everything but i could barely hear, so i had to wound up replacing it!!! Luckily i had insurance, it makes a big difference!!!! Good luck on getting it to work! I know this may be really frustrating for you!!!
    07-25-08 02:13 PM
    I just sent a brand new, never activated Curve in the clothes washer by mistake on Tuesday. I was carrying laundry to basement and put Curve on top to drop off at my pc along the way (to perform swap from my Pearl to Curve that night). I got sidetracked along the way and ended up not seeing it in the basket. Well, it got dumped in and it wasnt until it was totally submerged for a few minutes that I pulled it out. It was turned on when it went swimming, and the red LED was stuck on and screen was dead. I pulled the battery, ran up and used hair dryer on it for 10 minutes on very cool setting as well as some good, hard shakes to fling any water out. I put battery back in and it wouldnt boot right and shut down. Saw online to never use a hairdryer because it pushes water further in, so I used shop vac and carefully used its suction to help. Later found out about the rice trick so I put it in a tupperware container full of dry rice and sat in a warm place. (the next day I found a silica gel packet and tossed that in to help) I bought T5 and T6 Torx screwdrivers at Sears that night and took it apart as per the online video guides. Saw no water. I let it sit in the rice container about a day and a half and crossed my fingers. Yesterday I plugged the phone in without the battery and it worked! The phone wont actually boot up without battery when connected to wall socket but it lit up the screen and recognized there was no battery. Battery in and it started up fine, everything works! I did the phone swap on DM, activated it, and its been perfect. Have been using it non stop for a day now.

Just be sure to take your time and not rush it. Too soon and you could fry the internals. Having had taken it apart I knew there was no water on the screen/keyboard side of the circuit board so I gave it a shot after 2 days and got lucky. Mine was totally submerged at least 4-5 minutes with power on.
    07-25-08 03:46 PM
    i must say that you did get lucky and since its was brand new i would feel you got blessed by the bb gods, since usually when you submerge it while powered up usually kills it with no return. count your blessings
    07-25-08 03:50 PM
    I just sent a brand new, never activated Curve in the clothes washer by mistake on Tuesday. I was carrying laundry to basement and put Curve on top to drop off at my pc along the way (to perform swap from my Pearl to Curve that night). I got sidetracked along the way and ended up not seeing it in the basket. Well, it got dumped in and it wasnt until it was totally submerged for a few minutes that I pulled it out. It was turned on when it went swimming, and the red LED was stuck on and screen was dead. I pulled the battery, ran up and used hair dryer on it for 10 minutes on very cool setting as well as some good, hard shakes to fling any water out. I put battery back in and it wouldnt boot right and shut down. Saw online to never use a hairdryer because it pushes water further in, so I used shop vac and carefully used its suction to help. Later found out about the rice trick so I put it in a tupperware container full of dry rice and sat in a warm place. (the next day I found a silica gel packet and tossed that in to help) I bought T5 and T6 Torx screwdrivers at Sears that night and took it apart as per the online video guides. Saw no water. I let it sit in the rice container about a day and a half and crossed my fingers. Yesterday I plugged the phone in without the battery and it worked! The phone wont actually boot up without battery when connected to wall socket but it lit up the screen and recognized there was no battery. Battery in and it started up fine, everything works! I did the phone swap on DM, activated it, and its been perfect. Have been using it non stop for a day now.

Just be sure to take your time and not rush it. Too soon and you could fry the internals. Having had taken it apart I knew there was no water on the screen/keyboard side of the circuit board so I gave it a shot after 2 days and got lucky. Mine was totally submerged at least 4-5 minutes with power on.
    You my friend are a lucky man.
    07-25-08 03:59 PM
    heck yeah I did!

I have had numerous different cell phones since 1999 when I started working for Verizon Wireless (stopped there in 2001 but had access to getting new phones a lot through friends still working there) and have never had a water issue with any of them, not even close to getting one soaked. I got the Curve by chance from a bud in the company that sent it to me without need to send my 3 month old Pearl back (so I would have a perfect back up phone) and this happens. I felt like throwing up the whole first day. It cost me next to nothing for the phone but it was a stretch for friend to get it to me just to have a better device. Of course a fun part was telling my friend what happened...

and to add to that the Curve has more scratches on it than my 3 month old Pearl due to taking the phone apart! Oh well.. sometimes you learn life lessons the hard way.
    07-25-08 05:17 PM
    try using a different battery. I have scene phones get wet and continue working again once the battery was changed.
    It may or may not work on Blackberrys, but it is defiantly worth they try
    07-25-08 07:05 PM
    yeah I dont have insurance. at&t didnt offer it when I got it. that is why I was ******** out. if it was just a $50 fee it wouldnt be a huge deal.

it is funny tho. i liked my motorola razr that I had before my bb. i am using it again while the bb is in rice and i hate it! it is hard to take a few steps backward in terms of technology. lol
    07-25-08 08:48 PM
    Here what usually happens unless u drop ur phone into salt water or water with a chemical in it that will carry a charge most times u can dry the phone without immediate apparent damage to the phone. Rice works well I have also placed phones next in a shoe box with towels in it to draw out moisture. The only that happens is even after the phone dries out u will have corrosion on the circuit board which will cause shorts and excessive wear on the phone over time. Bassically its phone cancer might work well in short time but u will see it go into remission.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 09:04 PM
    One thing that will also work is the dri-aire crystals. You know the ones they sell at most stores. Wrap the phone in a couple layers of paper towels (crystals should not touch the phone) and set them on top of them in a plastic bag and seal it.
    07-25-08 09:15 PM
    Ouch!!!!!!
    07-25-08 09:19 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD