Hi guys, a few days ago my trackball stopped moving upward so today i decided to pop it out and clean it up with some alcohol. At the same time, i turned off the phone (only in standby, i didnt remove the battery...idk y not) and cleaned the little sensor under the trackball. I cleaned it with a Q-tip and alcohol. Then i dried it with a hair dryer. Now when i turn the BB on, the ball works fine but i cant click anything...then sometimes it clicks by itself like 8 times...idk what to do

Any ideas? is the sensor fried?
    09-21-09 11:58 PM
    If you had to use a hair dryer, that sounds like quite a bit of alcohol on that q-tip.

It sounds like you got some alcohol under the dome switch under the trackball. Whether it gets better after the alcohol dries up or not remains to be seen.

1) Always take the battery out of the phone when doing anything with liquids.

2) When using a q-tip with alcohol, put a little in the cap, then squeeze out the excess alcohol out of the tip by rolling it on the side of the cap as you pull it up. The swab should be moist, not wet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 12:11 AM
    Ok so i did all the wrong things to the phone, my guess is that there is residue under the dome switch thats making contact. Also the alcohol that i used was only 50%. Tomorrow im going to try using almost 100% alcohol and an air bottle to try to blow out any residue out from under the dome...hope it works. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks for the quick reply, any other tips would be appreciated.
    09-22-09 12:24 AM
    In case you need to get under the dome switch to get at the real microswitch under the dome:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tra...le-now-300038/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 12:40 AM
    Fixed it!! Thanks a lot for your help xliderider.

In the end i used brake cleaner (which is close to 100% alcohol) on a Q-tip and an air compressor to blow out the air. Works perfectly now, like new
    09-22-09 09:47 AM
    [QUOTE=LeetPayne;3646716
    "In the end i used brake cleaner (which is close to 100% alcohol) on a Q-tip and an air compressor to blow out the air. Works perfectly now, like new" [/QUOTE]

WOW! That's sounds like overkill. An air compressor?
    09-22-09 11:13 AM
    That is very odd...knowing me, I would have made the phone start smoking. lol
    09-22-09 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD