1. robbyp33's Avatar
    Newbie here!
    So expect a problem you've all probably heard of a thousand and one times!.. But do please help! This thing is very frustrating!

    I'm hoping there's some professionals on this forum!
    Here's my problem....

    As soon as I turn on my BlackBerry, it heats up quicker than a kettle!
    I bought a brand new battery for it today as well. So it can't be the battery.

    Someone suggested holding shift, alt and delete (for a soft reset)...which didn't work/help. They also said it could be the OS.. but it's currently using the latest OS?! Perhaps I need a downgrade?! I'm really not sure.

    Please, if you could provide me with a tutorial/guide on how to fix this problem, I would be so so grateful..
    05-24-10 05:27 PM
  2. rockinmobile.net's Avatar
    Is it getting hot while its just turned on and not being used, or are you using it, or is it charging? Most of the time if it is getting really hot there is a short in the phone and you should get it replaced. I would take it back to the provider and do an exchange.
    05-24-10 05:54 PM
  3. robbyp33's Avatar
    Is it getting hot while its just turned on and not being used, or are you using it, or is it charging? Most of the time if it is getting really hot there is a short in the phone and you should get it replaced. I would take it back to the provider and do an exchange.
    Yes, it's getting hot whilst just being turned on. Even when I'm not using it and there's no third-party apps running in the background..

    I'm unable to get it replaced as I bought it second hand. Could it be anything else apart from being a short in the phone?
    05-24-10 05:59 PM
  4. rockinmobile.net's Avatar
    I hate to say it normally that happens after a phone has gotten wet, therefore causing a short, but you could try replacing the battery and that could solve the problem.
    05-24-10 06:06 PM
  5. robbyp33's Avatar
    I hate to say it normally that happens after a phone has gotten wet, therefore causing a short, but you could try replacing the battery and that could solve the problem.
    Uh-oh, I sure hope it hasn't ever been wet in the past (Bought it second-hand you see).

    Everything works perfectly on it however. It's just the overheating problem.

    The battery is brand new, bought it earlier today. The previous battery was completely dead, wouldn't even charge, I'm thinking the old battery probably got fried from the overheating!
    05-24-10 06:12 PM
  6. rockinmobile.net's Avatar
    Yeah, I would check underneath the battery and look for a white square sticker, if it is not there the previous owner removed it, if it is Red it has been wet. If it is white it means the sticker didnt get wet.
    05-24-10 06:15 PM
  7. robbyp33's Avatar
    Yeah, I would check underneath the battery and look for a white square sticker, if it is not there the previous owner removed it, if it is Red it has been wet. If it is white it means the sticker didnt get wet.
    Ah, I see the sticker.
    It's a white square one with a red strip in the middle of it.
    But the battery is brand new from a phone shop in town.

    Although, there is a sticker on the phone where the battery would lay..
    It's a small red circular one with a small white strip through it, any ideas?
    05-24-10 06:26 PM
  8. rockinmobile.net's Avatar
    Thats all you see? the one with the strip on it is a void indicator, if removed it voids the warranty on the device by showing you have taken a screwdriver to it to open it up so thats ok, but if you dont see a white square or a red square anywhere else on the device, it means it was removed. I would post a pic but it wont let me yet.

    Edit
    Also the one on the battery is fine.
    05-24-10 06:30 PM
  9. robbyp33's Avatar
    Phew! Glad the one on the battery is fine. I'll keep the void indicator in place too, thanks for letting me know.

    What do you suggest I do from here to solve the overheating? Install a new OS?
    05-24-10 06:39 PM
  10. rockinmobile.net's Avatar
    You can try anything and everything but I hate to say it I think its a hardware issue and wont be resolved with a new OS but hey I could be wrong.
    05-24-10 06:41 PM
  11. robbyp33's Avatar
    That's one of the problems...
    With my lack of knowledge, I haven't anything to try out, I don't know of any solutions for this. *EEK!*.
    Hopefully someone on this forum comes along and points me in the right direction though!
    05-24-10 06:47 PM
  12. Ahmed G.'s Avatar
    Phew! Glad the one on the battery is fine. I'll keep the void indicator in place too, thanks for letting me know.

    What do you suggest I do from here to solve the overheating? Install a new OS?
    I don't think it is a Software issue Nor a Battery issue . . it is more likely to be a hardware thing
    05-24-10 06:50 PM
  13. Ahmed G.'s Avatar
    Taken From Another Thread

    Make sure you are closing all apps... otherwise they stay running, which sucks battery life and makes the processor run harder, which translates to heat.

    You can check if you close all apps by holding down the Menu button for a couple seconds, this brings up the app switcher, scroll left and right to see all apps... there should be only 5 apps that run all the time as part of the OS: Home Screen, Messenger, Browser, Call Log, and Messages... anything else is not being closed properly... to close apps you should push the Menu button, then select the Close or Exit option.
    05-24-10 06:55 PM
  14. robbyp33's Avatar
    I don't think it is a Software issue Nor a Battery issue . . it is more likely to be a hardware thing
    Will it be something I'd be able to fix myself? e.g. tightening a few screws/removing certain bits/basic things like that.
    Or will it require taking to a phone shop for repair?

    It's not the apps in the background which are causing it, I haven't any other apps on the phone apart from the bog-standard ones.
    05-24-10 06:56 PM
  15. Ahmed G.'s Avatar
    I'm not sure if you can fix it by yourself. It is better to take it to a phone shop for repair
    05-24-10 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD