I have to tap the case behind the trackball on my 8900 to get the trackball to respond. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm thinking I have to replace the trackball but don't know if this indicates some other issue.
    08-07-09 10:48 AM
    Might be worth taking the phone apart and cleaning it.
    08-07-09 10:51 AM
    I'll give that a try first before spending $30 on a trackball. Now I need to look around to see who sells a #6 torx.
    08-07-09 10:56 AM
    You might want to contact T-mobile for a warranty replacement before you open up your device and void the warranty.
    08-07-09 11:00 AM
    You might want to contact T-mobile for a warranty replacement before you open up your device and void the warranty.
    Yeh that's true!
    08-07-09 11:03 AM
    No can do. The warranty sticker came off. I'm all on my own now, I'm a TMO orphan. Shame too, its only 2 months old.
    08-07-09 11:04 AM
    You won't be on your own there
    08-07-09 11:06 AM
    Whem I replaced my bezel I took the sticker off nicely the sticker doesn't have anymarks if yours is the same put it back and call for an exchange.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 11:08 AM
    Did you take your device apart or did the sticker just come off? If the sticker just fell off, you can always contact them anyway and plead your case, it might work.
    08-07-09 11:23 AM
    Did you take your device apart or did the sticker just come off? If the sticker just fell off, you can always contact them anyway and plead your case, it might work.
    That is a valid point. The sticker could come off very easily if you remove and put the rear battery cover all the time.
    08-07-09 11:26 AM
    Nope, they kicked me to the curb. Times are hard and they need $$$$ I guess. They had no sympathy.

I just used an alcohol pad on the trackball. It wasn't working at the time but the 'tap' behind the trackball brought it back. It seems as though if it sits for a while that it freezes up.

Does anyone know the difference between the $30 OEM trackballs and the $6 jobs out there? Are the EOM versions really better?
    08-07-09 12:17 PM
    08-07-09 12:21 PM
    OK. The alcohol wipe didn't do the trick. The trackball works for a couple of hours and then I go and check again and its frozen again. A gentle tap at the back and it works again.

I have navigated to the trackball test and am letting it sit until it freezes again. I am curious to see if I can get a reading for a click but not for motion. I'm assuming it won't show the up/down or right/left and it will show the click.

Oh well....
    08-07-09 04:00 PM
    I let it sit and sure enuf it froze again. I move all directions and nada. I click and trackball and I can see the 'click' and 'unclick' responses fine. So, my trackball is clicking but not balling. Ok, maybe the new trackball I just ordered will take care of this.

...waiting for the USPS man
    08-10-09 03:37 PM
    don't know why but trackball works today
    08-10-09 03:56 PM
    Replaced the trackball using the video on this site and the new trackball has been working perfectly since then. Woohoo. I got my BB back! ! !

thanks to everyone.
    08-12-09 10:18 AM
    I am glad your trackball is working again!

08-12-09 10:32 AM
    Now you can go crazy with the bezel and other stuff. If you are a TMO orphan then go to town. Buying stuff for the berry is fun.
    08-12-09 05:02 PM
    Same thing happened to my first 8900. I replaced the trackball and it worked for about a week and then just stopped. So I called them and they said they would replace it. Luckily I pulled the warranty sticker off carefully and was able to put it back on. So I would just call T-mobile and tell them what happended. If your out of the 90 day warranty then they may not replace it, but since I have been with them for like 9 years they offered to replace it.
    08-12-09 05:09 PM
    Same thing happened to my first 8900. I replaced the trackball and it worked for about a week and then just stopped. So I called them and they said they would replace it. Luckily I pulled the warranty sticker off carefully and was able to put it back on. So I would just call T-mobile and tell them what happended. If your out of the 90 day warranty then they may not replace it, but since I have been with them for like 9 years they offered to replace it.
    Your warranty was for only 90 days?

08-12-09 05:11 PM
    No, the warranty is for one year.
    08-12-09 05:18 PM
    Oh ok I think I read your previous post wrong. Were you trying to say if you're 90 days out of your 1 year warranty tmobile won't honor it?

08-12-09 05:21 PM
    Oh ok I think I read your previous post wrong. Were you trying to say if you're 90 days out of your 1 year warranty tmobile won't honor it?

I think the guy that posted about the 90 days warranty was just confused and/or misinformed on the length of the manufacture warranty.
    08-12-09 05:26 PM
    I think the guy that posted about the 90 days warranty was just confused and/or misinformed on the length of the manufacture warranty.
    Lol my bad I didn't know I'm quoting two differnt users. I need to get use doing this on my phone

08-12-09 05:28 PM
    Lol my bad I didn't know I'm quoting two differnt users. I need to get use doing this on my phone

LOL!!! Its all good!
    08-12-09 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD