New here and am totally confused.

I get a mesasge
    The following application is requesting access to your Handheld Key Store. Please enter your store password.

What is it and where do I get it.

Thanks,

Leo
    06-19-08 04:07 PM
    Do you have a data plan.......wait a minute, stupid question forgot you're with Verizon you HAVE to get data plan, any ways, if you are connected to the internet (because bb's communicate that way) you may be getting an outsider trying to gain access to your handheld, I would contact Verizon CS.
    06-19-08 06:29 PM
    It's unlikely an outsider is trying to take over your phone. Try going to Options/Security/Key Stores. If you don't have one, you'll be given the opportunity to create one. If you're not given the opportunity to create a new one, the phone thinks you have one. If you've ever set a phone password, even if you no longer use it, try that. If that doesn't work, then 10 wrong guesses will result in your phone being wiped, according to others who've posted. I have not experienced that.
    06-19-08 08:20 PM
    Jeff your knoweledge blows me away!!!! YOU GO DUDE!!!!
    06-19-08 08:32 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    The only password I ever set was for use with Desktop Manager. Would that be the one?

Leo
    06-20-08 09:14 AM
    I apologize that I don't have a better answer, but I don't. I don't understand everything that goes on with Key Store. It's on my list of things to get smarter about, but I'm not there yet.

Be sure you make a backup, and try that password. It may work.
    06-20-08 11:58 AM
    I cant remember ever making one, but every time i plug my Pearl into my pc the Desktop Manager asks for Key Store Password, I just hit cancel and it continues to do its thing,,, am i doing the right thing, or is it skipping something i don't know about
    07-09-08 06:55 PM
    I was trying to access a secured website with a non trusted certificate, and the key store password prompt kept coming up. I entered any password I could think of with no luck. Upon my 10th unsuccessful try IT COMPLETELY WIPED MY PHONE!

Be careful, you will lose everything if your backup is not current!!!
    I used the backup/restore from Desktop Manager and I got everything back. At least that worked well.

I then went into the options, Key Store, and was able to enter my own password without knowing an old one. I dont know if that would be possible without the wipe. I have searched these forums and there isnt much info on this issue.

I have a 8130 Pearl.
    08-23-08 12:04 PM
    The Keystore is set up during the BB setup Wizard. Had a user with the same problem. Said he hadn't set a keystore password. I started him back through the Wizard, and all of a sudden it hit him, he had in fact created a separate keystore password, and luckily he'd remembered what it was.

My point is: If you did set a keystore password while setting up your device, short of wiping the device, I don't know of a way to reset it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 12:10 PM
    I cringe every time a see a post with Key Store in it. It never seems to come up unless there's a problem, and it's typically of the "I know I never set a password..." variety, so it's hopeless.

I had forgotten that it was set up by the setup Wizard. Thanks for posting that. Obviously it's optional, since I don't have one. I'm sure it's for security reasons, but I don't know why RIM couldn't have set it like the password keeper, where only the app itself is wiped, not the entire device.

EDIT: I just wiped my 8830 using JL_Cmder and reinstalled my OS. When I ran the setup Wizard, I was not prompted to create a Key Store password. That fits with my previous observation that I didn't have one, but doesn't help in determining why some people get one set and don't recall how or when they did it.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-24-08 at 02:20 PM. Reason: more info
    08-23-08 01:47 PM
    I've just got my new curve.
    I have read many many postings on different forums regarding this Handheld Key Store and it seems that no one has the solution. I would suggest to users to wait for a better answer.
    09-22-08 11:52 AM
    Unfortunately, when the problem comes up, the user is typically in the middle of downloading or installing an app. Waiting for a better answer isn't usually an option.
    09-22-08 12:00 PM
    I went through this with a user at work. The BB Security password is not the same as the Key Store Password.

The Key Store password is created during the Device Setup Wizard. When I walked him back through the wizard and he saw the page to set up the key store, he then realized that he did indeed create a separate password.

The only way I know of to re-create the keystore password is to wipe the device.
    09-22-08 12:40 PM
    I recently wiped and reloaded my device and was not prompted to create a Key Store password. I do have a device password. I don't have a Key Store password. Maybe being a BES user kept me from having to create one. I don't know.

09-22-08 01:02 PM
    I've tried installing Facebook. Get prompted for the Key Store password. Don't have one. Tried logging onto certain websites. Get prompted for the Key Store password. Don't have one. This is really frustrating!! I've had the darn 8330 for less than a week...
    09-26-08 02:10 PM
    If you don't have one, you can go to Options / Security Options / Key Stores and create one. Be sure you don't forget it. Entering the wrong Key Stores password will cause your BlackBerry to be wiped, just like you'd entered an incorrect device password.
    09-26-08 02:31 PM
    What i did: go to options-Security-general settings. once you are there press the menu key. then chose change password. It worked for me. Good luck
    01-22-09 02:39 PM
    Does anyone know what the keystores contains or what it used for?
    01-22-09 05:09 PM
    It looks like the key store does exactly that... It securely stores the encryption keys for communications and emails.

View Document

01-22-09 06:29 PM
    It looks like the key store does exactly that... It securely stores the encryption keys for communications and emails.

View Document

Nice post. It's always good to refer to RIM documentation on obscure and confusing topics like Key Stores. Even if it doesn't answer every question, it shows people where to look.
    01-22-09 09:14 PM
    OK, I had the same issue as everyone that didn't know what this was, then just before my 8th turn I had a brainwave. Turns out the pass is the one you use on app world
    05-23-14 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD