First of all, I love this phone. However, if I had known that I would be unable to receive email at all without a BIS plan, i probably wouldnt have gotten it. I had assumed you can check webmail but alas i am not able to.

Second, I am missing blackberry maps. Where can I find that?

third, i am unable to connect to my schools WPA2 Enterprise protected network. is there a workaround for that?

thanks.......
    01-28-09 09:41 PM
    Hmm.. I was wondering about the web based mail too. You really can't login to hotmail etc.. without BIS?
    01-28-09 09:57 PM
    can't you just add a data plan? A blackberry without a data plan is....
    01-28-09 09:57 PM
    i dont want to spend an extra $15
    01-28-09 10:02 PM
    its ridiculous that i cant access webmail through wifi!!
    01-28-09 10:02 PM
    i dont want to spend an extra $15
    but you would spend 200+ on a phone? why not just get a nokia then?
    01-28-09 10:03 PM
    Oh I didn't realize you didn't have a data plan. I was thinking you had data but not BIS. I got BIS but have been wondering if I can just get the cheaper data package and still hotlink my web based mail to save ten bucks.

I can understand u not getting data though, college days are poor indeed haha. But you have to be able to surf CB while in class so you better do something about that Jess!
    01-28-09 10:06 PM
    I'm a college student too and was able to set up my school email through BIS. Did you try that?

My router access point is also WPA2.

I do suggest getting a data plan and then you can get your school mail through push mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:07 PM
    what security do you have your wifi ssid set to? wpa2 isnt an option for me.
    01-28-09 10:10 PM
    Blackberry maps is not that good, I would recommend google maps instead, but without a data plan I'm not sure you can use either app. Both use data to render the maps and directions. Unfortunately to utilize the 8900 and all of its great features you need the BB plan with data. What about adding Hotspot@home? Yes it is another $9.99 but you get unlimited minutes while using UMA over wifi. It may allow you to cut back your minutes and save a few bucks to put towards your data plan. That's my plan!
    01-28-09 10:11 PM
    ok ok ok i give in i just added my 15 dollar bb plan haha. oh the benefits of being a tmo customer for the last 6 yrs!
    01-28-09 10:12 PM
    inevitably, to get the push email on the BB devices... you need to get the data plan. It requires BB server to read the emails, and that's how email gets deliver to your BB. Sorry to say, you would need to get the data plan.

cheers!
    01-28-09 10:13 PM
    would suggest you pick up a lower tier BIS plan.
    if u r disciplined enough and use that for emails alone, i think you won't bust the data limit

use wifi for surfing etc

but i just learned that google maps dun work with wifi alone. so u will need BIS anyway.

BB maps should show up once u activate BIS
    01-28-09 10:14 PM
    $15 is that for unlimited data? I thought the BB plan was $20??? Anyway, you will enjoy the 8900 far more now that you have added the BB plan and can enjoy all of its goodness!
    01-28-09 10:17 PM
    Mine is WPA2.

My router is configured by the school. I have no say about what the security.
    The 8900 can work with all kinds of wifi security. Shouldn't be an issue.

I had to "register" my wifi device on the network with the tech people. I have no idea about you though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:17 PM
    can't you just add a data plan? A blackberry without a data plan is....
    Very true... I second that!!!
    01-28-09 10:19 PM
    with your BIS plan now, you should get your push mails as well as BB maps.
    01-28-09 10:20 PM
    what security do you have your wifi ssid set to? wpa2 isnt an option for me.
    Setup -> set up wi-fi -> next ->
    then either scan for wireless and enter pass when prompted network or:
    manual -> enter ssid -> add -> security type "psk" -> scroll down and enter pass.

This will work for all security "types" that aren't listed specifically...

Voila!
    Last edited by maDgamEr; 01-28-09 at 10:44 PM.
    01-28-09 10:27 PM
    ok ok ok i give in i just added my 15 dollar bb plan haha. oh the benefits of being a tmo customer for the last 6 yrs!
    My question to you is, how is your plan only $15.00? Mine shows $25.00....
    01-28-09 10:28 PM
    Too late now, but you should be able to get WebMail over WiFi if you use a browser other than the Blackberry browser. You should be able to get it with Opera or Bolt.
    01-28-09 10:36 PM
    My question to you is, how is your plan only $15.00? Mine shows $25.00....
    it's $15 for Web ONLY.

and $25 for WEB + 400 messages.
    01-28-09 10:37 PM
    it's $15 for Web ONLY.

and $25 for WEB + 400 messages.
    What really? I don't have that option in my T-Mobile... I have unlimited messages so wouldn't it be pointless to pay for the 400.... is this offer only my phone call or something?
    01-28-09 10:40 PM
    What really? I don't have that option in my T-Mobile... I have unlimited messages so wouldn't it be pointless to pay for the 400.... is this offer only my phone call or something?
    Well, make sure BB curve 8900 is selected in the phone options.

and go to the phone services, there should be a option of $15 web only.

it's where the BB sections are.

cheers!
    01-28-09 10:42 PM
    Well, make sure BB curve 8900 is selected in the phone options.

and go to the phone services, there should be a option of $15 web only.

it's where the BB sections are.

cheers!
    Nope still don't see it....

Line Level Services
    Line level services apply to a particular line on your account.

Service
    Description
    Price per
    month
    Select
    Services
    HotSpot
    Stay connected -- get Wi-Fi access on your laptop, phone, and select cameras and gaming devices at places you already go, including Starbucks, Borders Books and Music stores, airports such as DFW, LAX and SFO, Barnes & Noble bookstores and many more.
    Terms and conditions
    $9.99
    Recommended Service
    BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail
    Make the world a little smaller. Send and receive unlimited e-mail while you travel for one low monthly fee. You must be using a carrier that provides GPRS Internet service to send or receive e-mail. Voice calls are billed at standard international rates.
    $19.99
    BlackBerry Unlimited Web
    Harness the power of your BlackBerry to stay connected on the go with Unlimited Web access.
    $24.99
    Recommended Service
    BlackBerry Unlimited w/Enterprise E-mail Add-on
    Add access to BlackBerry corporate data features to a voice rate plan. BlackBerry Unlimited w/Enterprise E-mail, for use with BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) software, includes unlimited BES access, BlackBerry Web Client e-mail, and Web browsing.
    01-28-09 10:44 PM
    hmm it's weird, i guess try calling tmobile. they can help you out better.
    01-28-09 10:58 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD