I use Alltel and I have a few choices of GPS devices. I can use the "telenav" that is pre-installed on the phone, or I can purchase the Garmin Mobile from the Axcess Shop.

Which is better? Both are the same price per month.
    06-07-08 07:50 PM
    Anybody? I'm curious
    06-08-08 11:01 PM
    I have also been searching for a good Alltel GPS app and here's what I have come accross.

Telenav is probably the best so far, but it costs money....and I'm not a big fan of paying for things.

There are a couple of free options out there but not all are worth exploring.

nav4all (Google Nav4All) Is the first one I tried. The interface is pretty plain and the maps are ugly. Also, the turn by turn directions never worked for me. I used 2 separate curves and the voice nav never worked once.

amAze (google amaze gps) I used amaze for quite a while. I dont know if there is something wrong with the way the Alltel curve processes audio but again, the turn by turn directions didn't work well. The actual driving directions are accurate though and the maps don't completely suck (but the lag time when selecting different options makes me want to choke somebody.)

CoPilot (do a google search for CoPilot Live)
    This isn't technically a free app, it's actually pretty pricey. BUT (and this is a big BUT) you get a 6 month trial before you actually have to buy it. This is my highest recommendation. The driving directions are stellar, the maps look nice, and it's super easy to use. After my 6 month trial I dont know if I will plunk down the serious coin to buy the software, but I will definatley consider it.

I hope my trials and tribulations with GPS will help you. I tried posting the actual links but apparently this forum has rules against helping people so they were blocked. Google searches will turn up your results though.
    06-11-08 05:44 PM
    I have an 8310 on ATT and I've been using nav4all with no problems. The voice prompts work fine for me. Its as accurate as my wifes Camry nav. I also use google maps. No voice prompts, but for finding my way around it works fine.
    06-12-08 12:31 AM
    I recommend the Google maps app, it uses your data plan it's not text to speech but I like it better than the carrier mapping services.
    06-12-08 12:54 AM
    I have used Telenav for years now and just love it, but I might check out these other, you know with the money issue and all.
    06-12-08 03:15 AM
    I almost forgot..

Tellme | Say it. Get It.

But it is AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint only
    06-12-08 03:19 AM
    I have also been searching for a good Alltel GPS app and here's what I have come accross.

Telenav is probably the best so far, but it costs money....and I'm not a big fan of paying for things.

There are a couple of free options out there but not all are worth exploring.

nav4all (Google Nav4All) Is the first one I tried. The interface is pretty plain and the maps are ugly. Also, the turn by turn directions never worked for me. I used 2 separate curves and the voice nav never worked once.

amAze (google amaze gps) I used amaze for quite a while. I dont know if there is something wrong with the way the Alltel curve processes audio but again, the turn by turn directions didn't work well. The actual driving directions are accurate though and the maps don't completely suck (but the lag time when selecting different options makes me want to choke somebody.)

CoPilot (do a google search for CoPilot Live)
    This isn't technically a free app, it's actually pretty pricey. BUT (and this is a big BUT) you get a 6 month trial before you actually have to buy it. This is my highest recommendation. The driving directions are stellar, the maps look nice, and it's super easy to use. After my 6 month trial I dont know if I will plunk down the serious coin to buy the software, but I will definatley consider it.

I hope my trials and tribulations with GPS will help you. I tried posting the actual links but apparently this forum has rules against helping people so they were blocked. Google searches will turn up your results though.
    I have a question, I have downloaded the amAze and looked at it on line and it looks real neat, but I cannot figure out how to created an account so I can mess with it. It is on my phone and tells me to create an account on line and I don't see how.
    06-12-08 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD