I got my Curve 8330 yesterday, and I can't figure out how to access and use the installed GPS. There is a link to Sprint's GPS service, Sprint Navigation, on the desktop, but that is an extra cost item. My eyes are getting sore...help!
    10-17-08 03:13 PM
    are you subscribe to sprint navigation?
    10-17-08 03:30 PM
    I was told it was part of the Blackberry, like the voice dial, so I didn't need to subscribe?...
    10-17-08 03:48 PM
    The GPS is in there... You just need an app that uses it. Like:
    Blackberry maps
    Google maps
    Blackberry Tracker
    Blackstar
    The list goes on...
    Check out the GPS forum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by qfadder; 10-17-08 at 07:36 PM.
    10-17-08 03:51 PM
    The Samsung Instinct had Sprint Navigation and there was no charge, but I also found there to be a fee on my BB Curve 8330. I wasn't interested in paying each time I used it, so I did some looking around and found a downloadable version of Garmin Mobile for $99.99.

It's supposed to be good for the life of your phone, but I've heard Garmin will transfer the application to a new phone once.
    10-17-08 04:05 PM
    Thanks, QFADDER, I downloaded Google maps, and it works great. I would love to have spoken directions, but I guess this might require a purchase of Garmin Mobile. Does anyone know of a free GPS application that has spoken directions?
    10-18-08 10:51 AM
    I have the simply everything plan and nav is included in that. You just have to go through an installation process.
    10-18-08 10:58 AM
    If you kept the Simply Everything plan that was required with your Instinct (Either 450, 900, or Unlimited) plan and switched to Blackberry, Sprint Navigation is still included in your plan for no additional cost.
    10-18-08 11:02 AM
    I have the unlimited data, but not Simply Everything, so guess that is why Sprint is locking me out. The Google maps works pretty well, just no spoken instructions.
    10-18-08 11:07 AM
    If you have the simply everything plan or the Everything Plan, then GPS is included. It prompts you that it is a Pay service but it isn't. You just have to follow the install, let it do it, click on when it says subscribe for what ever amount, i never got charged for it and called sprint to double check its included in all the EVERYTHING plans.

welcome to CB!
    10-18-08 11:21 AM
    Simply everything plan includes sprint navigation free of charge. Blackberry maps is included as well.
    Google maps does not use the gps, it triangulates off the cell towers if I am not mistaken.

10-18-08 11:26 AM
    The Sprint GPS is included in your plan. It may initally say there is a charge but there is not. Call customer service first abd they will tell you for sure....

10-18-08 11:31 AM
    Sprint Navigation is free. It says it charges but its waived. Its included with your BlackBerry unlimited plan. If they charge you call CC and they'll straighten it out or they'll sometimes even send you a text saying its been waived. The Sprint Navi so so much better than BlackBerry google and yahoo maps

10-18-08 04:24 PM
    Simply everything plan includes sprint navigation free of charge. Blackberry maps is included as well.
    Google maps does not use the gps, it triangulates off the cell towers if I am not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that Google Maps is able to use the internal GPS chip that's in the Curve as it's pretty darn accurate. When it first starts up it says Your location within 1500 meters waiting for GPS. In version 2.3.1 I see this more when I first start up Google Maps whereas with the previous version I almost never seen "Waiting for GPS".
    10-25-08 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD