I bought a Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330 on Ebay. Seller has been with Ebay since 2007 with 100% positive feedback & over 120 transactions. Stupid me didnt check the ESN before paying & the seller shipped quickly! In the back of my mind I was thinking I shouldve checked that ESN, but the seller appeared reputable & trustworty. When I tried to activate the phone - Verizon tells me its stolen.

Ive emailed the seller numerous times, but he has fallen off the face of the earth & wont return my emails. I have filed claims with Ebay & Paypal in an attempt to get my money back? Ive communicated with the seller but he refuses to write back? Im baffled why someone would deliberatly do this? i really need a new phone, but my new every 2 isnt up for a long long time.

Learn from my mistake -- ask the seller for the ESN before paying for your phone. If seller wont tell you the ESN run away..... Call your carrier & make sure its clear before paying!!
    06-12-10 01:29 PM
    Keep insisting that Paypal recind your transaction!!

Also, post a very negative rating to the seller!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asking for the ESN is helpful if you can get the phone in your possesion right
    away, but the seller can still report it lost after they give it to you.
    06-12-10 01:34 PM
    I bought a Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330 on Ebay. Seller has been with Ebay since 2007 with 100% positive feedback & over 120 transactions. Stupid me didnt check the ESN before paying & the seller shipped quickly! In the back of my mind I was thinking I shouldve checked that ESN, but the seller appeared reputable & trustworty. When I tried to activate the phone - Verizon tells me its stolen.

Ive emailed the seller numerous times, but he has fallen off the face of the earth & wont return my emails. I have filed claims with Ebay & Paypal in an attempt to get my money back? Ive communicated with the seller but he refuses to write back? Im baffled why someone would deliberatly do this? i really need a new phone, but my new every 2 isnt up for a long long time.

Learn from my mistake -- ask the seller for the ESN before paying for your phone. If seller wont tell you the ESN run away..... Call your carrier & make sure its clear before paying!!

That really sucks, sorry to hear that. Other than not checking the ESN you had your bases covered ya know? I know it is not gonna change anything but you did attempt to follow the right steps. I would keep after ebay safe harbour and paypal as well. I had a similar situation once and the seller finally paid up. NEVER GIVE UP! You should have come to the Marketplace here to buy your berry. Best of luck to you and your situation. Welcome to crackberry!
    06-12-10 01:40 PM
    Oh good point - Never thought that someone might report it stolen after buyer checks the ESN -- Thanks for mentioning that!

I would never in a million years scam someone - im just baffled! Glad I only paid $56.00 - Im angry he has my money & I have a worthless phone!

I never thought of checking the Marketplace on here for a phone - are sellers pretty repuatable? Thanks
    Last edited by carolinagal; 06-12-10 at 01:46 PM.
    06-12-10 01:44 PM
    Oh good point - Never thought that someone might report it stolen after buyer checks the ESN -- Thanks for mentioning that!

I would never in a million years scam someone - im just baffled! Glad I only paid $56.00 - Im angry he has my money & I have a worthless phone!

I never thought of checking the Marketplace on here for a phone - are sellers pretty repuatable? Thanks
    Your welcome anytime check it out. There are some good people here. I would always warn BUYER BEWARE though. But that's just me...
    06-12-10 01:56 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much. You will eventually receive a full refund from PayPal. Just make sure you do all your communication from now on the PayPal site, so they can see that you are trying to resolve the issue and that the seller is the one who isn't responding to the issue.

Once the time is up, PayPal will decide in your favor. I believe you will be refunded for everything, even the shipping charges.

I have been burned before on eBay, I have lost over $400.

There still are advantages to purchasing a phone on eBay though. You have the backing of PayPal, and you can purchase a low-cost warranty through Squaretrade to cover your phone, something you can't do if you purchase your BB through the forum marketplace or craigslist, etc.
    06-12-10 03:08 PM
    FWIW, Anyone with 120 transactions and 100% positive feeback since 2007, is obviously not a "professional" retailer on ebay, but they are probably someone who cares about feedback. I am betting he is more concerned than he seems to be and he will likely get back to you as soon as he figures out how to fix it. I bet he used insurance to replace his phone, and didn't think about the ramifications of then selling it instead of mailing it back (summary: unless he just sold 1000 stolen phones at $57each, I bet he cares about losing his feedback rating, and should try to explain and make it right)
    06-13-10 05:26 AM
    Make sure that you start an eBay Dispute.

I have done this several times and have gotten my money back each time. eBay/PayPal are very good with buyres who genuinely get scammed.

However their process does take a few weeks.
    06-13-10 05:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD