I downloaded Google maps application for my blackberry curve 8330 from Verizon, and every time i do a search on a business listing, on the details/address it will give you the option of calling a place from that screen, but when you push the trackball to make the phone call, NOTHING !! how can i fix this??
    08-02-08 12:50 AM
    Best way to fix it is to use live search
    I love google but live search rocks
    08-02-08 12:52 AM
    I don't know how to fix this, but you might want to try Microsoft LiveSearch. I had google maps and now I'm using LiveSearch instead. I don't want to deter you from Google Maps cause I love Google, but if you find it doesn't do what you want it to, this could be an alternative for you.

edit - that's the second time tonight SGOCKA!!!! You're too fast for me!
    08-02-08 12:53 AM
    I don't know how to fix this, but you might want to try Microsoft LiveSearch. I had google maps and now I'm using LiveSearch instead. I don't want to deter you from Google Maps cause I love Google, but if you find it doesn't do what you want it to, this could be an alternative for you.

edit - that's the second time tonight SGOCKA!!!! You're too fast for me!
    HA! I win again! Better luck next time
    08-02-08 12:54 AM
    Oh btw welcome to CB
    08-02-08 12:55 AM
    Oh, it's ON now!
    08-02-08 12:55 AM
    Oh, it's ON now!
    Bring it on!
    08-02-08 12:57 AM
    I have both, but as you might already know, verizon has their own "gps" app called VZW navigator, so they block the gps on their cellphones making you pay for it, this is the reason why my live search doesnt work the way i would like to, because i cant use my curve's gps with 3rd party app's. (live search doesn't have triangulation location like google maps)
    08-02-08 12:58 AM
    Oh it's already been BROUGHTEN!

(sorry - had to be done)

Rodrigo - I am so sorry to hijack your thread. Welcome to CB!!!
    08-02-08 12:58 AM
    I have both, but as you might already know, verizon has their own "gps" app called VZW navigator, so they block the gps on their cellphones making you pay for it, this is the reason why my live search doesnt work the way i would like to, because i cant use my curve's gps with 3rd party app's. (live search doesn't have triangulation location like google maps)
    You can manually set your location on LiveSearch. You can pick a point on the map.
    08-02-08 12:59 AM
    Oh btw welcome to CB
    thanks !!! I just wish there was a setting that i could just go to and make it work.
    08-02-08 01:01 AM
    Got a question. What version of Google Maps are you using? Perhaps your issue might have been addressed in a newer version? Version 2.2.2 was just released as I found out from the software roundup

Use the first link from your berry to install/upgrade.
    08-02-08 01:01 AM

(sorry - had to be done)

From Urban Dictionary:
    Broughten
    Another piece of ********, backwards, street slang that is slowly helping to erode proper English usage, grammar and meaningful and intelligent communication.

(sorry -had to be done) OWNED
    08-02-08 01:02 AM

(sorry - had to be done)

LOL ! dont worry I dont mind you hijacking my thread... I just wish verizon would enable the gps for their customers, so i can use live search ( which i think it absolutelly rocks !) the way i want it . but google has triangulation locator.. I know you can manually type in a location but its nice that the device knows that already for you :P
    08-02-08 01:04 AM
    Rodrigo,
    Welcome to the forums!

When you highlight the business and scroll down to the call box, did you notice that it asks if Google is allowed to make the call? You have to either check the box or check Don't ask me this again.

Hope this helps!
    08-02-08 01:08 AM
    Got a question. What version of Google Maps are you using? Perhaps your issue might have been addressed in a newer version? was just released as I found out from

i have the mobile updater from google and every time i open it, its supposed to automatically tell you if there is new spftware updates, right? well i just opened it and the version that is ( and has been for awhile now) instaled is 2.2.0 ... weird
    08-02-08 01:12 AM
    I agree - I think that's crappy of Verizon to do that.

And SGOCKA, you got me this time, but watch your back baby!
    08-02-08 01:12 AM
    Rodrigo,
    Welcome to the forums!

When you highlight the business and scroll down to the call box, did you notice that it asks if Google is allowed to make the call? You have to either check the box or check Don't ask me this again.

Hope this helps!
    i installed g maps for the second time and tried, nothing still, it doesn't even ask me that question
    08-02-08 01:19 AM
    I have Ver. 2.2.1 (2227) and I can call without a problem. I only had to let it dial the first time, and have it not ask me again.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm on verizon as well...I ain't payin for the GPS to unlocked either!
    08-02-08 01:21 AM
    Got a question. What version of Google Maps are you using? Perhaps your issue might have been addressed in a newer version?

thanks I just downloaded the 2.2.2 version and it works now !!
    08-02-08 01:32 AM
    thanks to all of you .. I downloaded version 2.2.2 and it works now, why is the Google Mobile Updater not telling me there was a newer version?? is beyond me.. but at least it works now, it asked me again if i would allow google to place a call and now it does it every time.
    08-02-08 01:34 AM
    thanks I just downloaded the 2.2.2 version and it works now !!
    glad I could help. 2.2.2 JUST came out. It's buried in that link. I was only able to find it from a poster (zurjohnx) in the comments of that blog post. It's not even on the m.google.com site for download. 2.2.0 still showed up for me there as of 45 min ago.
    08-02-08 01:36 AM
    Glad you got it working!
    08-02-08 01:38 AM
    Live Search can be very helpful in time of need, I got numbers and address when I needed them in crunch time. I always like Google but Live Search is the heavy here...
    08-02-08 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD