Just wondering if it was possible to only have gmaps have the backlight on permently when that app is open and have the map move a I drive. I was trying to fiddle with it, but have absolutely no luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 12:54 PM
    Not as far as I can tell. Annoying, isn't it?
    05-31-09 01:21 PM
    Haha very. I used it for directions and I have the maps up just bvecause I don't know roads very well. I had to keep scrolling on the maps and almost got into four accidents, but at least I made it...somehow haha.

05-31-09 01:43 PM
    Do I need a specific plan to use Google Maps?
    05-31-09 01:54 PM
    Haha very. I used it for directions and I have the maps up just bvecause I don't know roads very well. I had to keep scrolling on the maps and almost got into four accidents, but at least I made it...somehow haha.

If you map your directions before beginning, then do a My Location... this will keep updating your location and you don't need to keep scrolling... then I think I just hit the space bar occasionally to keep it awake... at least that was what I think I did the last time I used GoogleMaps for driving directions.
    05-31-09 01:58 PM
    Do I need a specific plan to use Google Maps?
    You need a Blackberry Data plan.
    05-31-09 01:59 PM
    Have you tried AmAze? It works pretty well with voice directions - the drawbqck is it doesn't display a large map of your route, just your immediate area. That doesn't matter too much because it gives you voice directions. The biggest plus is that it is free.

05-31-09 02:03 PM
    This link should get you to AmAze
    Download the amAze GPS free navigation suite || amAzeGPS.com

05-31-09 02:11 PM
    I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'm in the middle of installing the GPSLogger in the GPS section.

I'll try AmAze afterwards and see which one is worth keeping. The voice programs sounds appealing. I'm gunna have to give that a try.
    05-31-09 02:22 PM
    just keep hitting the 0 (zero) key, it'll find your current location while you drive, you dont have to scroll
    05-31-09 02:41 PM
    I use bblight to keep the backlight on. Sorry I don't have the link, but it's free.
    05-31-09 03:36 PM
    I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'll try AmAze afterwards and see which one is worth keeping. The voice programs sounds appealing. I'm gunna have to give that a try.
    I use gmaps to plot routes and see where things are. It really accurate finding your location. Voice directions are good when you're driving. Telenav is easier to use, but it costs too much for the few times I would use it. It takes a few minutes to figure AmAze out - where/how to enter addresses and start navigating, but once you figure it out, it's pretty easy to use. For the most part, it has selected the same routes I would have chosen. It will also recalculate if you change things up. Good Luck.

05-31-09 03:45 PM
    Well I installed AmAzed. It seems to be loading and then it had "Communication Error" on the screen. I had to exit by pressing @. Why is it like that?
    05-31-09 03:50 PM
    I don't know Danny. I seem to remember an error once. Hmmm, there is a BlackBerry specific version and BlackBerry instructions at the site. I think I deleted my copy and downloaded it again - I do have it and it's working fine for me. Maybe this link is better.
    Download amAze

05-31-09 05:06 PM
    Ok, delete the errored version, click the above link, you go to a page where you can select a signed version for the 8900. Write the user number and PW, I didn't need them, but to be safe... When you need to accept terms, press the menu key.

05-31-09 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD