Good evening ladies/gents,

How's it going?

I just registered here and am already impressed by the quality of the posts in this forum.

I am buying a used 8900 for 180 CAD from someone who had an ad on Craigslist. Having said that, I am a total noob when it comes to BBs and I was wondering if you experts could give me some pointers on the common hardware and software problems that BBs have.

The device should be unlocked and I'll test it with my current Fido SIM card before purchasing it for sure. The least I want is to end up with a partially functioning phone.

Thank you in advance,
    HW
    Last edited by cn_habs; 05-17-10 at 08:09 PM.
    05-17-10 07:43 PM
    When you check out the phone, go to Options > Status, type "test" (you will NOT see the letters being typed). This will take you the "Device Selt Test Application" screen. Press the BB key, Start. Select as many of them as you can. Hopefully he has a headset, 3.5mm, so you can test the jack (or bring your own). These test will assure you that all of the keys, trackball, screen, speakers, etc. are okay. Some of the earlier operating systems did not have this program but I'm pretty sure the 8900 has it.

Also, check the water indicators. There is one on the battery that will have a red line (or red X's) and another on the phone. The one on the phone should be a small white square. As long as they are not solid red, it's an indication that it did not get wet. There is another one but you can't see it unless you disassemble the phone (it's on the trackball sensor).

Good luck.
    Last edited by shfjcs; 05-17-10 at 08:13 PM.
    05-17-10 08:07 PM
    Good evening ladies/gents,

How's it going?

I just registered here and am already impressed by the quality of the posts in this forum.

I am buying a used 8900 for 180 CAD from someone who had an ad on Craigslist. Having said that, I am a total noob when it comes to BBs and I was wondering if you experts could give me some pointers on the common hardware and software problems that BBs have.

The device should be unlocked and I'll test it with my current Fido SIM card before purchasing it for sure. The least I want to do is to end up with a partially functioning phone.

Thank you in advance,
    HW
    The problem is 8900 is now outdated and no longer sell at some carriers, you should get either 8530 or 9700 for possible have OS 6.0 in it the future and 8900 might not see 5.0 ??? but no way 6.0 for 8900 anyway.

Good luck
    dg
    05-17-10 08:09 PM
    I currently own a Motorola W510 so I am not particularly picky at all as I just want a professional looking phone with a good screen and to some extent easy texting. Occasionally, I wouldn't mind using the Wifi or the GPS. It's mostly for calling afterall.

I considered the 8530 but found it to be a a lower end trimmed-down version of the standard BB. Is having a newer OS that much better? I am a total noob so please feel free to chip in.

Thanks again guys.
    05-17-10 08:24 PM
    the 8900 is a very solid advice and great for your first berry. unless there is something wrong with it, it wont have any issues as far as hardware/sorftware. just make and receive a call and text messages, and see f there are any problems.
    05-17-10 08:25 PM
    the 8900 is a very solid advice and great for your first berry. unless there is something wrong with it, it wont have any issues as far as hardware/sorftware. just make and receive a call and text messages, and see f there are any problems.
    Thanks, it's good to hear that. I did some research before deciding on a second hand 8900 as it's rather affordable for a student. I never own the newest electronics so as long as it's reliable and doesn't lag, I am happy.
    05-17-10 08:30 PM
    I got a Curve 8900 about a month ago, I had a 3G iPhone believe it or not, but just was bored of it, great apps, etc but was bored. I had an 8900 before I had my iPhones and went back to it.

Am getting to the point where as you just want a nice looking phone which I can text, call, use the web from.

If you find the phone is on OS 4 then I *strongly* suggest you upgrade it to the 5.0 OS. You will find the phone far less sluggish. Mine was 4.6 when I got mine from eBay and first thing I did was upgrade!

Enjoy your phone when it arrives.
    05-18-10 07:06 AM
    The problem is 8900 is now outdated and no longer sell at some carriers, you should get either 8530 or 9700 for possible have OS 6.0 in it the future and 8900 might not see 5.0 ??? but no way 6.0 for 8900 anyway.

Good luck
    dg
    Wow I'm upset that I just got a brand new 8900 just last week. I didn;t realize it was outdated already. BTW my significant other got a new 9700 and guess which model we both prefer? Thats right, the 8900. Congrats on picking the 8900 as its a wonderful choice. Ignore the pleebs who insist that only the very last model is somehow worthy of choosing.
    05-18-10 08:02 AM
    Just one more thing, I have noticed that my Canadian carrier, Fido, has never offered the 8900 in their lineup. Will I be able to use my current Fido SIM card on it?

Thanks again guys.
    05-18-10 02:52 PM
    I don't know how anyone would prefer the 8900 over a 9700, but I have enjoyed my first BlackBerry - however it does feel so dated now, and OS 5 and even 6 don't seem much of an improvement. I'll be upgrading to an HTC Desire as soon as I can, but the 8900 is a solid device and very easy to use. I can't upgrade to 5.0 myself (Mac user) but would recommend as the the phone does slow down quite significantly with only a couple of open apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 05:16 PM
    I got a Curve 8900 about a month ago, I had a 3G iPhone believe it or not, but just was bored of it, great apps, etc but was bored. I had an 8900 before I had my iPhones and went back to it.
    I had the same feeling about my iPhone 3G! Plus Apple is just arrogant.

I'm thrilled to bits with my 8900, but I'm still running 4.6. I'm too scared to update to 5.0. I'm one of those people who waits for AT&T to release the offical update. Granted I realize that might never happen, and I'm okay with that. lol. I plan on getting a Bold in a year.
    05-19-10 07:33 AM
    Just to make sure, are the 8530's charger and USB cable compatible with the 8900's?
    Thanks again.
    05-23-10 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD