This was also posted in the general discussion section, with no response as of yet.

A bit of background first: for years I have used and still use a classic Palm OS as my personal (vs. business) PIM. I hard sync with (now) my Treo and thereby keep my phone's and 4 computers' Palm desktops' calendar and address book in sync. I do this via a hard (cable) sync and am pleased to do it that way. Changes made to the calendar or address book on any devices winds up on all of them soon enough for my purposes (I do not need OTA syncing, not that I would mind it, but I do like to have a current hard disk copy should I not be able to connect to the cloud.)

I also use a BB8900 on BES which OTA syncs my calendar and e-mail from Lotus Notes (Domino server), but requires a hard (two-way) sync for the address book. Also fine with me. It also brings in new mail that hits my yahoo in-box, but its e-mail client does not let me see/use my many yahoo folders. (To do this, I must use the browser.)

Now comes the issue. In a while I may no longer have a BES account and wonder what options there are for using the BB rather than the Treo for my personal e-mail (yahoo), calendar, and address book. Ideally I would like to have a dynamic copy on my desktops and happy to be required to do hard two-way syncs of the calendar and address book.

I think I would rather not use MS Outlook, and would prefer to continue to use the Palm Desktop PIM, although doubt I will be able to.

Can you wise and experienced BIS folks help me? If I designate yahoo as my primary e-mail service, will it OTA bring in my e-mail and allow access to all my yahoo mail folders (as it does for Notes)? Will it OTA bring in my yahoo address book and calendar? Will it do that well?

For several reasons I would rather not go to google mail/address book/calendar. But if I had to, would it give me access to the "folders" allowing both a view of their contents and filing ability for new mail? How well does it sync the address book and calendar?

Finally, is there any way of using my beloved Palm PIM Desktop calendar and address book and keeping it up to date with hard syncs?

Sorry for this long-winded question. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Blazor Boy
    Last edited by BlazorBoy; 09-07-09 at 01:56 PM.
    09-07-09 01:43 PM
    BIS is mail only, nothing else - like contacts, tasks etc.

An alternative would be a hosted exchange service with a hosted BES - around 15$/month, if it's worth that much to you...
    09-07-09 02:04 PM
    BIS is mail only, nothing else - like contacts, tasks etc.

An alternative would be a hosted exchange service with a hosted BES - around 15$/month, if it's worth that much to you...

Thanks for the reply. A bit discouraging, I must say. How do you then get your address book and calendar on the BIS BB? I thought you could bring in those items OTA from gmail, but may be mistaken. Alternative can you use the BBdesktop to do a hard sync?

Sorry for these naive questions.

Thanks again

B B
    09-07-09 02:21 PM
    I think the 101 lectures will be very helpful for you. I have a link to them in my signature and you can also find them at anytime through the "Blackberry Help" menu option at the top of every page here at Crackberry.
    09-07-09 02:25 PM
    I think the 101 lectures will be very helpful for you. I have a link to them in my signature and you can also find them at anytime through the "Blackberry Help" menu option at the top of every page here at Crackberry.
    Thanks for your quick response. I read the 4 that looked relevant, but still do not know the answers to my questions: how do you get your phone book and/or calendar onto your BB (if at all) under BIS. Prior response said, no way. Also if you put on your yahoo mail account, will you see your folders and be able to file new mail into them?

If I missed a relevant 101 lecture, please point it out.

Thanks again.

B B
    09-07-09 02:48 PM
    You can import contacts into your BB quite easily.

You are answering your own quesitons.

You are being overly paranoid here.

5O million people use BIS BB for calendaring and contacts.

You are no different.

Quit tripping.

09-07-09 04:02 PM
    Ok, I re-read your post and I guess I jumped the gun on a few things.

You cannot effectively synch multiple calendars and contacts through DM from multiple sources.

Yahoo contacts does not integrate with your BB contacts the way you want them too, I may be wrong, but thats not often. LOL.

You need to get familiar with importing contacts and exporting through Outlook or Palm.

This is one way to effectively manage contacts from multiple sources by importing and synching.

I'd also look into using Google Calendar as your primary calendar if you need multiple calendars.
    09-07-09 04:18 PM
    Ok, I re-read your post and I guess I jumped the gun on a few things.

You cannot effectively synch multiple calendars and contacts through DM from multiple sources.

Yahoo contacts does not integrate with your BB contacts the way you want them too, I may be wrong, but thats not often. LOL.

You need to get familiar with importing contacts and exporting through Outlook or Palm.

This is one way to effectively manage contacts from multiple sources by importing and synching.

I'd also look into using Google Calendar as your primary calendar if you need multiple calendars.

NP glad to give you a second chance, for as I recall Lazerus was given one, they say, some 2000 years ago. In any case, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Can I two-way sync, via cable not OTA, (on a regular basis, not just an initial one-way switch) the information in my Palm desktop calendar and address book with the BB? I have not seen anything in writing that says I can do this.
    If you know how this works I would appreciate learning.

Were that to work, my only other questions is that if I make yahoo my principal e-mail source, will the BB mail client allow me to see my yahoo mail folders as it does with Lotus Notes?

Thanks again.

Blazor Boy
    09-07-09 09:37 PM
    Instead of starting my own thread I will just ask a simple related question here in hopes that someone has the answer for me. I have BES now and due to a recent layoff I don't have need for enterprise access. I use Gmail as well and I'm thinking that if I downgrade to BIS I can save $10 per month (T-Mobile) by doing this. Is all I'm giving up enterprise access or do I give up anything else? I couldn't help but notice that T-Mobile makes no reference to DATA on their website but it does happen to say that the BES includes unlimited internet. I thought that all BIS plans include unlimited data, right?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the off topic.
    09-08-09 01:36 AM
    Yes, you will only give up BES access to a corporate BB server. Drop it. Spend that 10 bux on looking secksy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 06:14 AM
    Yes, you will only give up BES access to a corporate BB server. Drop it. Spend that 10 bux on looking secksy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Done and done.
    09-08-09 10:50 AM
    Good jawb for not creating a new thread.
    09-08-09 10:52 AM
    Good jawb for not creating a new thread.
    Thanks, I try.
    09-08-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD