I just got my first Blackberry yesterday and have been very confused, needless to say, about a few things. One thing I was curious about was how I can fully power down or restart the Curve 8330. When you delete an app it prompts you to restart but I chose not to. Any way I can do this easily now?

When I hold the end button to turn off the phone, it apparently turns off. But when I press it again to turn it on it starts up right away, with no long power up sequence like when I first turned it on. Any idea if this is normal or, if I want to fully turn it off, how would I do so?

Last question. Can anyone recommend a good weather app and data usage tracker? I tried WeatherEye and it won't work, as well as getting error messages from e-office Mobile Data Alerter.

Thanks in advance!
    09-07-09 10:34 AM
    I can answer your first question. Just take off the back cover, pull out the battery and then put it back. There is an app called QuickPull that can do the same.
    For a soft reset (which would suffice for deleting an app) you can try ALT+right shift+delete. (I think that's it lol)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 10:43 AM
    The easiest way to do a full power-off is to pull the battery; it's like a "reset" of sorts. Another option is to download Quickpull, an excellent app that simulates the battery pull so you don't have to physically do that.

As far as weather apps go, get the latest version of BBWeather...that's the best in my opinion.

Hope this helps! :-)

09-07-09 10:43 AM
    I can answer your first question. Just take off the back cover, pull out the battery and then put it back. There is an app called QuickPull that can do the same.
    For a soft reset (which would suffice for deleting an app) you can try ALT+right shift+delete. (I think that's it lol)

That is how you do a soft reset (just tried it). Thank you very much for all the info!

The easiest way to do a full power-off is to pull the battery; it's like a "reset" of sorts. Another option is to download Quickpull, an excellent app that simulates the battery pull so you don't have to physically do that.

As far as weather apps go, get the latest version of BBWeather...that's the best in my opinion.

Hope this helps! :-)

Thanks for the info. I'll look into BBWeather right away.
    09-07-09 10:51 AM
    Alt+rt shift+delete is the same as a battery pull and a good way for rebooting the phone after deleting apps and all that. At least that's what I've been seen told in similar threads since I've been bb'ing.

09-07-09 10:53 AM
    If I'm not mistaken alt+rt shift+delete is a soft reset as opposed to a batt pull which is a hard reset.

09-07-09 10:55 AM
    A battery pull is a hard reset.
    09-07-09 10:58 AM
    Thanks for all the info.
    Two last related question:

Where can I find BBWeather?
    Also, how can I track how much data I've used this month?
    09-07-09 10:59 AM
    bbweather

email this link to yourself and click the link, will prompt an install..its confusing at first to set up for a first time user, but be patient and play around.. as far as the number of days forecasts, thats been broke for a while, the max displayed is 5

http://www.tateu.net/software/downlo...ther.jad?q=php
    09-07-09 11:03 AM
    Here's a link to a bunch of different applications. I use accuweather which works pretty well, too. Once you install it, it takes a day or so to show up on your desktop - it pushes current weather to your device, and you click the icon to get forecasts - after you set it up.

http://m.crackberry.com/otaapps.html

As for resets, there is a bit of confusion about what is the best to do. The alt-rt shift-del method is called a soft reset. If you press those keys again just as the screen lights up from the first time you pressed them, you'll be doing a hard reset. A battery pull while your device is on is also a hard reset - and is something Rim recommends to do a complete reset of your device. I usually do a battery pull every few days or so to keep my device "tuned up" .

Other things you should consider doing every once in a while is clear your browser cache. Also, close your apps properly - while in the app, press the menu key and select close. Too many apps running in the background will slow your device down. You can check which apps are open by pressing the alt and back keys at the same time to open the device switcher. There will always be 5 listed, browser-mail log-phone log-home screen-bbmessenger, all the rest you can close.

To clear cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

Good luck.

Last edited by exelant; 09-07-09 at 11:26 AM.
    09-07-09 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD