I found a Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 on the street.

No calls (probably deactivated), but wifi works.

I wanna use it or sell it.
    What can i do with it.
    Can i use it on Sprint?
    Can i unlock it and sell it?
    Can i flash it and use it with another cheaper carrier?
    06-02-10 03:02 PM
    You can try unlocking it and go to different carrier.
    06-02-10 03:11 PM
    The 8530 doesn't have a sim card so you can't use it on any gsm networks and CDMA networks other than Sprint won't activate it.
    06-02-10 03:46 PM
    Make sure the ESN is clean...if it's been reported lost or stolen and you try to activate it, they can track it and find you and get it and other things could happen as to why you didn't turn it in
    06-02-10 03:46 PM
    And as stated above, say you sell it. If they report it lost, the ESN will be blocked and it's worthless.

If you sell it and they report it lost, same result and you have to deal with the person you sold it to as to why it no longer works.
    06-02-10 03:49 PM
    The 8530 doesn't have a sim card so you can't use it on any gsm networks and CDMA networks other than Sprint won't activate it.
    Thats what i thought.. no sim card... i looked inside but couldnt see any slot.

It had a 2gb memory card in it though.

The question still remains... what should i do with it... will anyone buy it if i list it on ebay?
    I'd rather sell it if i can... but i don't even know if you're allowed to sell a found phone on ebay.

It's like brand new with no scratches on it, and it still has the factory protective clear sticky film on the screen. And it's in a silicon case.
    06-02-10 03:50 PM
    Make sure the ESN is clean...if it's been reported lost or stolen and you try to activate it, they can track it and find you and get it and other things could happen as to why you didn't turn it in

If it was me i'd sure call and report i lost it... so he - who lost it - probably did too.
    Does Sprint give me a reward for turning it in to a sprint store?
    06-02-10 03:54 PM
    sprint won't give you a reward but if lucky and find the owner they might give you something, as far as up here in canada if you try to activate a stolen or lost phone or caught selling one you can be charged for theft
    06-02-10 03:56 PM
    Take it to a Sprint store and give it back. It should be returned to the rightful owner. You shouldn't be asking how you can profit off finding a phone.

How would you feel if you lost your brand new phone and somebody found then kept it? Do the ethical thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 04:32 PM
    For the life of me, I do NOT understand why people won't turn these phones in when they "find" them. If mine were lost or stolen I'd be tearing heaven and **** apart to find it or get it back; and you better believe I'd prosecute for theft if I found who had it and wasn't giving it back.

You people who think you're somehow entitled to keep these "found" phones are thieves, no matter how you slice it. You're a thief and a slimeball.

Turn the thing in.
    06-02-10 05:26 PM
    The ethics don't even really matter in this case. There isn't crap you can do with it because they can lock out the ESN very easily anyways.
    06-02-10 05:33 PM
    @ the op: if you found an abandoned car, would you be looking for ways to sell it? How about a wallet or purse? Would you take the cash and throw it in a dumpster?

Sounds like you would.

Where did you get this "finders keepers" mentality?

06-02-10 05:35 PM
    If it was me i'd sure call and report i lost it... so he - who lost it - probably did too.
    Does Sprint give me a reward for turning it in to a sprint store?
    Are you serious? You need a reward as an incentive to do the right thing?

You're a real piece of work.

06-02-10 05:41 PM
    Its probably a bait phone...brand new, plastic film, found in a street...smells like a setup.. I'd say activate it and see if the nsa, fbi, cia, sas, bp, ice, cbp, local police and state sheriff coming crashing down on you and fyck you up for being a fycking *****..I would at least if I found out you were trying pawn my phone for 50 bills

06-02-10 07:42 PM
    just turn phone in that the right thing to do
    06-02-10 08:16 PM
    Only a total f-ing loser would try to use or sell it. Turn it in or at least, find the owner's number (which should be very easy) and give it back. How is this even a thread?
    06-02-10 08:19 PM
    Someone at my job had their phone stolen today and I felt bad ... I think you should turn it in as everyone else said before me... And she had verizon so the person who stole it definitely won't be able to use it and neither will you sorry !!!

06-02-10 09:26 PM
    Do the right thing and turn it in... who knows they may have thrown it out on purpose and let you have it... Karma's a b- and you definitely don't wanna be on her bad side...
    06-02-10 10:19 PM
    It's actually a quite interesting subject, i see a lot of opinionated people here boasting "ethics".

I'm not debating the "ethics". Ethics say i should return it no doubt...
    But of course there is "finders keepers loosers weepers"...
    ...and then there is this society we live in where everybody is trying to screw you at every corner and every opportunity they got. So in a way we are all being brainwashed to one extent or another, to ignore the "ethics" and try to profit.
    So you can't blame me for trying to profit.

My case: Over the last 5 years i lost my phone twice just shopping at the malls. Not ever did the finders answer my calls, or made any attempt to return it - or if he did return it to a store - the store owner probably gave it to their kids to play with it... or sold it on ebay for parts.

And both times i had to buy a phone without a contract costing me twice more than what i originally paid ... but a lot more than i would've offered as a reward - and i though was beeing quite generous with a $60 reward for a $180 phone. I talked to people working in all the stores i shopped at...etc..but no cookie.

Now
    Take the case of Brian J. Hogan for example. He found an iPhone prototype in a bar left behind by an Apple engineer. He sold the iPhone for $5000 to Gizmodo.
    Gizmodo later did a review and i'm sure they made a ton more money from just the ad revenue generated by the traffic to their site.
    Can Brian be charged with theft? He did keep it and then sold it.
    Is Gizmodo allowed to keep the iPhone since they paid for it? They did..
    ...and this is not like an obscure transaction that took place in a shady parking lot.. it's all over the net... yet nobody was prosecuted.

In the end all i can say is : society dictates what we become so don't blame for wanting to profit.
    06-03-10 01:39 AM
    ^^ The most ignorant post I have ever seen on this site! I can't believe that you're actually arguing for keeping someones phone that ISN'T yours.

You just confirmed to all of us that you are one of the few people who are corrupting our society.

You should of listened to your mother better, remember what she said when Jimmy got a new bike and you expected one too? If everyone else was jumping off a bridge would you too?

I guess you would...
    06-03-10 02:02 AM
    ..also to add:
    States with "lost and found property" laws:
    Lost and Found State Property Laws Summary
    20 States do. but PA does not have one. My phone was found in Philly.

but interesting:
    CA does !... and yet Brian got $5000 for that iPhone found in CA.
    06-03-10 02:02 AM
    ..also to add:
    States with "lost and found property" laws:
    Lost and Found State Property Laws Summary
    20 States do. but PA does not have one. My phone was found in Philly.

but interesting:
    CA does !... and yet Brian got $5000 for that iPhone found in CA.
    Now you proved that your a criminal now. Did you even read that article you posted? What's with the animal site from Michigan for anyway? How does that even apply?

From the very first paragraph
    In essence, these enactments override or supplement the common law rule that a finder's interests are always subordinate to the true owner's. In fact, it is said the goal under common law is to reunite the lost property with its true owner. Not all states have enacted such laws; in those states without a statutory scheme, the common law rule applies.
    06-03-10 02:17 AM
    Dude no you shouldn't sell it do you have no soul? You need to turn it in its not yours. That's the problem with this world people like you.

06-03-10 06:15 AM
    Lol I love how people have turned this moderately normal topic, into a mountain of FBI investigations and moral debates.

1. As mentioned, the guy/girl who lost it has most likely reported it lost, therefore it has been barred (hence the wifi only). This handset could only be sold for parts.

2. Most people these days tend to take out insurance on their handsets which means, the "owner" will probably be getting a replacement handset.

3. Having worked in Mobile/Cell Phone retail for around 10 years, I have NEVER ONCE had a handset brought into the store by someone who found it.

tinvaltino - Hand it in or throw in it the trash, a barred handset is no use to you.
    06-03-10 08:19 AM
    I find your statement about you losing phones and never having them returned as a way to justify your intent to sell this phone absolutely ridiculous. Just be thankful that people in this forum gave you advice and don't try to justify what you are trying to do. I've had a phone stolen from me before and it doesn't make me want to steal other people's phones one bit. You got an answer to your question: you cannot use the phone. I guess if you really wanna squeeze every penny out of this, you could sell it for parts. Don't try to prove you are doing a good thing if you do end up selling it - you will just end up making excuses for yourself.

06-03-10 08:20 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD