How do you remove this feature? I have downloaded some ringtones and I share them with my husband. I have been sending the ringtones to him through a text message. Now all of a sudden I can't send them because of this forward lock. Any help would be great! Thanks!
    02-17-09 10:39 PM
    I don't think you can. Some of my ringtones have this. I assumed it's so someone doesn't buy it and just sends them. They'll loose money.
    But then only some of them have them. Even though I bought them from the same place.

This is all I know. Maybe there is a way. If there is I would like to know as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 11:27 PM
    I've run into this on every Verizon phone I've ever had, and it is indeed so that you can't buy a ringtone and forward it to everyone you know.

FYI, any MP3 I have on my memory card works as a ringtone. Perhaps there's a way to read the purchased ringtone from the phone and reformat to MP3? I'll probably think of a way in the morning, but it's 2 AM right now... so nothing's coming to mind.
    02-18-09 01:54 AM
    what if you sent them as an mms ?
    02-18-09 06:08 AM
    It has to deal with DRM, it's like how you can buy music from iTunes and then burn that to a CD and just rip it and it doesn't have DRM anymore. I don't know there is a way possible to get around the lock.
    02-18-09 08:59 AM
    Give this a shot: Plug in a pair of headphones and see if you can use media player to make the ringtone play thru the headphones. If you can, YAY! See the instructions below. If you can't... back to the drawing board.

Find an 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable. That's something with a normal headphone plug on both ends. If you go to Radio Shack, they won't know it as anything but a "phono plug." Morons.

Download and install Audacity and LAME MP3 Encoder from the same link. It's very easy to use... note the giant Record button up top. Plug one end of the cable into your curve, plug the other end into the microphone jack on your computer. It's usually pink on most computers made in the last few years, and right next to the speaker port. Hit the record button in Audacity, and the play button on media player. When the ringtone is done playing, stop the recording. Export what you've recorded as an MP3 and you've got a ringtone anyone can use.

Edit: Y'know, that might be over-complicated. If you can save the ringtone to your media card somehow, just plug your phone into your computer with USB. See if you can open the ringer in audacity directly. Export as an MP3 and you'd be all set.

Be sure to come back and let me know if this works... I don't have any protected ringers, so I can't try it myself.
    Last edited by cae2685; 02-18-09 at 11:30 AM.
    02-18-09 11:28 AM
    Alternative solution that I've used:

Play the ringer from your phone and record it into the phone you want it on (i.e. Voice Notes), then set as a ringtone from that phone. Works with any music you can play from a stereo and has pretty good sound quality as long as you have a quiet place.
    02-18-09 11:49 AM
    Alternative solution that I've used:

Play the ringer from your phone and record it into the phone you want it on (i.e. Voice Notes), then set as a ringtone from that phone. Works with any music you can play from a stereo and has pretty good sound quality as long as you have a quiet place.
    I've tried this in the past... I hate the way it sounds. Like my ringtone was recorded over speakerphone while I was standing in a bathroom. But... that's just me.
    02-18-09 11:54 AM
    I have this problem on a picture I took with the camera. This is ridiculous. How do you remove this from the picture?
    03-03-09 07:57 PM
    You shouldn't have any problems with sending a picture. Maybe the file size is too big...? See if that's the problem.
    03-03-09 09:40 PM
    my ringtones are doing this and i can't use them as personal ringtones for people now and they are ones i downloaded for free...
    04-13-09 08:36 AM
    my ringtones are doing this and i can't use them as personal ringtones for people now and they are ones i downloaded for free...
    They are doing what? Can't be fowarded? You should be able to use them aslong as they are saved on the device. But I don't have any experience setting them to a certian user.
    04-13-09 08:38 AM
    No i go to a person in my address book and select a custom ring tone but the ones i want to use have a forward lock on them so then they don't work and i don't know why
    04-13-09 08:53 AM
    I took a picture over the weekend and it's forward locked. I took it on my Storm. Every other picture I took this weekend didn't become forward locked. This is the first time I've ever seen this and its quite stupid. I can't put it up on facebook or any other app except twitterberry. I don't know if it's a fluke that twitterberry is visible as a send option but every thing else is not there.
    07-08-09 10:43 AM
    I wiped my phone the other day and now the customer ring tones I sent to my 8330 from Myxer won't play. I can set them as ring tones but the default ringer plays instead.

It has this "forward lock" crap on it too. Myxer. Really now. UGH. I'm going to make a folder and keep ringers in it and just move it to my phone in the future. If I can find something that isn't crap to use.
    07-26-09 03:41 PM
    I ran into the forward lock problem with Myxer for the first time tonight. What I did was re-download the song to my Berry & I also downloaded the same version to my pc (it currently has that option). The pc version is not locked and I forwarded that to my friend.

Its an extra step but at least you have an unlocked tone.
    08-04-09 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD