Does anyone know a way to disable all data and phone functions easily so that "legally" I can us my curve on a flight? Thank you in advance for your help.
    09-30-07 09:30 AM
    Got this from the user manual on the bb website. WHen you do this you will be unable to send/receive any data/phone calls but will be able to use all other functions.

You should turn off wireless connections in certain places, such as on an airplane or in a hospital. For more information, see the safety
    and product information booklet for your BlackBerry� device.
    1. On the Home screen or in the application list, click Manage Connections.
    2. Perform one of the following actions:
    � To turn off a wireless connection, clear the check box beside the connection type.
    � To turn off all wireless connections, click Turn All Connections Off.
    09-30-07 09:56 AM
    You want to disable fone and data funtions but yet use it onflight?
    What exactly would you be doing?
    Just turn the BB off :?
    09-30-07 10:08 AM
    Solachica--what would we be doing?!?
    � Watching movies
    � listening to music
    � Composing offline e-mails
    � BRICKBREAKER, hello?
    � Poker

And the list goes on...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-07 10:24 AM
    Completely agree with rrrebo! A true "crackberry" always has somthing to do on their bb. The possibilities are practically endless!!!
    09-30-07 10:29 AM
    Ah well ok
    How long is this flight?

09-30-07 01:30 PM
    Completely agree with rrrebo! A true "crackberry" always has somthing to do on their bb. The possibilities are practically endless!!!
    I bet you people with Blackberrys turn them on in flight. I don't think I could wait until the plane landed to know if I have an email just waiting to get pushed to me.
    09-30-07 03:11 PM
    On a short early morning flight to London this morning (about 30 mins) I thought I would just turn the BB off for the flight and turn on when I arrived.

I forgot however that I use the automatic power on option at 7.30 each morning.

Half way through the flight I could hear my emails and messages coming through and even a call. As the BB was in the overhead locker I just rolled my eyes and tutted at the guy next to me as if it wasn't mine.

Heehee
    10-02-07 04:37 PM
    Unless I'm sleeping BB is always on me. Don't think I could ever put it somewhere I could not get to it!
    10-02-07 05:25 PM
    Awww Tommy
    10-02-07 08:43 PM
    Another instance: My doctor's office is located in medical building where cell phone use is prohibited. However I still need to use my BB in order to check my calender when scheduling an appointment in the office. If the phone was completely off I wouldn't be able to use it to schedule my next appointment! I use my BB for everything and love it!
    12-31-07 02:27 PM
    On a short early morning flight to London this morning (about 30 mins) I thought I would just turn the BB off for the flight and turn on when I arrived.

I forgot however that I use the automatic power on option at 7.30 each morning.

Half way through the flight I could hear my emails and messages coming through and even a call. As the BB was in the overhead locker I just rolled my eyes and tutted at the guy next to me as if it wasn't mine.

Heehee
    How is this possible? Once the airplane leaves the ground, you ll lose signal. I dont know about C.A.A. certified aircrafts but F.A.A. certified aircrafts will do this. I fly all the time.

BB are not satellite phones and dream that maybe one day it ll turn satellite phones where you can be talking on the phone at 51,000 ft in altitude.
    Last edited by Txaircraftmech; 12-31-07 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
    12-31-07 11:26 PM
    I've gotten reception at altitude occasionally. It just depends on the atltitude and the strength of signals in the area. In Europe this wouldn't surprise me.
    01-01-08 02:03 AM
    I was wondering about signal reception at altitude myself. Last week, I was on a flight headed to TX and was curious whether Google maps would work (I knew a pinpoint wasn't possible since I'm with VZW, but figured an approximation would be good enough). Stupid I know, but in my partial defense it was nighttime, there was a brightly lit city far below, I had my Berry, and I was VERY curious (a dangerous combination of factors, I suppose). So I powered on for a minute to check. Well, I got absolutely no signal and felt like a moron the second I realized why. Sounds like some folks have been able to get signals at lower altitudes, perhaps?
    01-01-08 02:11 PM
    It just depends on the altitude, the signal, where the airplane is....etc. You will likely get just enough signal to receive emails (maybe send)
    01-01-08 02:16 PM
    How is this possible? Once the airplane leaves the ground, you ll lose signal. I dont know about C.A.A. certified aircrafts but F.A.A. certified aircrafts will do this. I fly all the time.

BB are not satellite phones and dream that maybe one day it ll turn satellite phones where you can be talking on the phone at 51,000 ft in altitude.
    As I said it was a short local flight to London and I could hear the Berry whilst circling over Heathrow so probably not too high
    01-20-08 09:59 AM
    Thanks BarryWhite, however, if I need to go to Manage Connections to Turn All Connections Off, what is the Plane Profile for? It seems pretty silly to have the Plane Profile when I can just turn off all connections, unless of course, the Plane Profile is used to keep the BB quiet while leaving the connections on while in flight.
    01-30-08 01:31 AM
    Cell phones don't cause as much problems as the faa and fcc would like you to belive. The new phones (since 1989) do not affect navigation at all. Though with an att phone I have heard a tiny bit of crackling from phnes that are in the cockpit.

01-30-08 10:05 AM
    so it's illegal to use cell phones on airplanes?
    01-31-08 01:59 AM
    Good Help on this one...I just got my first BB & leave for Florida next week...was wondering If I could watch a few TV shows I have put on it,,,question answered!! Oh, yeah,,,quickly becoming addicted...LOVE IT!!
    03-05-08 10:02 AM
    thanks for the info, folks... going to Vegas on Friday!
    03-05-08 10:29 AM
    Got this from the user manual on the bb website. WHen you do this you will be unable to send/receive any data/phone calls but will be able to use all other functions.

You should turn off wireless connections in certain places, such as on an airplane or in a hospital. For more information, see the safety
    and product information booklet for your BlackBerry� device.
    1. On the Home screen or in the application list, click Manage Connections.
    2. Perform one of the following actions:
    � To turn off a wireless connection, clear the check box beside the connection type.
    � To turn off all wireless connections, click Turn All Connections Off.
    Thanks for the info. I am new to the blackberry but lovin' it. I found this story and thought to myself, "Poor iPhone user"

"Flight Mode" Does it really mean anything | Mobility Site

Have any of you had problems using your blackberry on a plane?
    08-23-08 12:00 PM
    BBs are looked at differently by each airplane attendant. I have had some not freak out and let me listen to my music with all trans/rec turned off. Yet I have had others go into a fit and one literally yelled at me to turn it off.

I just wait until none are around and turn it on for my music.
    08-24-08 10:13 AM
    I just found this new app "Flight Mode". It's an easy to use airplane mode. With one click you can switch to airplane mode and at the same time it downloads all texts that have not been completely retrieved. Quite nice little app..
    11-23-09 07:34 AM
    Thank you for the tip, Guy86!

I've installed Cortado Flight Mode some days ago and already used it on a couple of flights.

It's a great complement to just “Turn All Connections Off” on my BlackBerry. I lets me read all my emails of the day while on the plane and also write my replies. Super app!

For downloading it, just google "cortado flight mode" or go to the Cortado website.
    01-12-10 01:04 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD