Ok guys, I upgraded from an LG Dare to a BB 8330 Curve last night. I had already watched some youtube tutorials and had a good idea how to use the device. I am sure I will be doing some searches on here and also asking more questions on this thread though.

First impression: LOVE this thing! No wonder they call them a CRACKberry. I can't put it down.

First APP download: Blackberry APP World -only so that I could download the next one.... Beiks keyboard locker. My Dare phone would automatically lock after some time of inactivity. i downloaded this free app and it even let me choose the time before it locks the keypad. downside of this was that i had no idea where to find it to launch it and use it. i had to poke around for awhile before i could find it and launch it. i managed to get it done and it works perfect.

First question: are there any sites or spots on the forum that are good for free apps and SAFE to use? Also -any you would make sure to steer clear of?

Second question: is there any way to change the way you unlock the phone? perhaps with a single button, or two that are more ergonomic to the phone? i have no problem reaching the * button, or the "talk" button, but when operating the phone with one hand, i would think there would be a more ergonomic setup for that. -just wondering?????

Thanks for any help. and by the way guys, don't take this the wrong way, but while i might be new to BB, i am not new to forums and search features. If i wasted your time writing this -my bad. If YOU wasted your time reading it -YOUR bad. don't waste more by flaming me for dumb questions. just move on. I did searches and found answers on several topics already, but sometimes the results are broad and overwhelming in number.

Thanks for the help and support.
    08-20-09 11:09 AM
    First off, Welcome. You can find apps in the app store at the top of the page. If you sort by price it can list the free ones first. I haven't had any problems with any apps I've downloaded and any minor glitches you do find, just post a question and there are more than enough people on here that have probably had the same issue.

Good luck and have fun.
    08-20-09 11:15 AM
    Ok guys, I upgraded from an LG Dare to a BB 8330 Curve last night. I had already watched some youtube tutorials and had a good idea how to use the device. I am sure I will be doing some searches on here and also asking more questions on this thread though.

First impression: LOVE this thing! No wonder they call them a CRACKberry. I can't put it down.

First APP download: Blackberry APP World -only so that I could download the next one.... Beiks keyboard locker. My Dare phone would automatically lock after some time of inactivity. i downloaded this free app and it even let me choose the time before it locks the keypad. downside of this was that i had no idea where to find it to launch it and use it. i had to poke around for awhile before i could find it and launch it. i managed to get it done and it works perfect.

First question: are there any sites or spots on the forum that are good for free apps and SAFE to use? Also -any you would make sure to steer clear of?

Second question: is there any way to change the way you unlock the phone? perhaps with a single button, or two that are more ergonomic to the phone? i have no problem reaching the * button, or the "talk" button, but when operating the phone with one hand, i would think there would be a more ergonomic setup for that. -just wondering?????

Thanks for any help. and by the way guys, don't take this the wrong way, but while i might be new to BB, i am not new to forums and search features. If i wasted your time writing this -my bad. If YOU wasted your time reading it -YOUR bad. don't waste more by flaming me for dumb questions. just move on. I did searches and found answers on several topics already, but sometimes the results are broad and overwhelming in number.

Thanks for the help and support.

Welcome to Crackberry!
    1-The mute button at the top works as a great one touch lock/unlock key for me.

2-Lots of free sites but I use the crackberry one the most and always first. m.crackberry.com gets you this site on your phone and there's a link to the free apps so you can download directly from your browser.

3-A lot of issues with App world recently so I would check this site first and also app world has a new site online so you can browse thru what they have before going there on your berry. Again, welcome and enjoy your stay. You won't be checking out though The addiction is permanent and like no other site.
    08-20-09 11:24 AM
    Mute button works for stand by and not unlock...
    08-20-09 11:56 AM
    is there a way to reprogram the function of the mute button in order to make that the "unlock" key? if someone wrote an app for that, it would be great.
    08-20-09 12:21 PM
    Personally I don't trust any "free" apps, or free app sites. When it comes to my beloved BB, I only want trusted, reliable apps. I stick to Crackberry's App Store (and the app you can install on your BB for this is awesome!), or maybe Handango.

Just be careful when trolling for free apps... It might not be worth the risk.
    08-20-09 12:24 PM
    Mute button works for stand by and not unlock...
    Yes and standby is an alternative to "locking" the phone. Not sure if I made it seem like it didn't but I use that instead of lock/unlock. Quicker and just a suggestion for the OP
    08-20-09 12:41 PM
    is there a way to reprogram the function of the mute button in order to make that the "unlock" key? if someone wrote an app for that, it would be great.
    Can't reprogram the mute button but you can the two side keys but not for the unlock function that you are looking for.
    08-20-09 02:50 PM
    welcome to crackberry! Looks like you're getting all your answers!
    08-20-09 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD