Hi

I am fairly new to this Blackberry stuff and browsing through this Forum I see various entries saying File Free shouldnt be below 12MB.

Interested I have checked mine and it is 11882380 (i.e. 11.9MB) after a battery pull. Looking at the DB sizes nowt is very large (largest is messages at 1.1MB) and I have no non default apps loaded on it. I cant see what the total space is either (so I cant really see how much is being used).

Any advice for a newbie - surely with a clean system it shouldnt be hitting that limit yet?

Thanks in advance

Dave
    03-03-09 10:56 AM
    alt + shft + h brings up a screen that lists the total memory.

Your file free is pretty low for not having 3rd party apps. Things you can do to free up memory and then do another battery pull are:

Delete all messages and emails

alt + lglg brings up the event log. Menu > Clear Log, clears it.

Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning, Menu > Clean Now.

Clear the browser cache, cookies, etc. Browser > Options > Cache Options.

And of course, read this thread:http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-03-09 11:05 AM
    And make sure any apps you are using (i.e. browser, media player) close them out by pressing Menu-close.
    03-03-09 11:09 AM
    And make sure any apps you are using (i.e. browser, media player) close them out by pressing Menu-close.
    If I close them then they still appear (when I do Alt Escape) - Am I doing something wrong?
    03-03-09 12:25 PM
    alt + shft + h brings up a screen that lists the total memory.

Your file free is pretty low for not having 3rd party apps. Things you can do to free up memory and then do another battery pull are:

Delete all messages and emails

alt + lglg brings up the event log. Menu > Clear Log, clears it.

Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning, Menu > Clean Now.

Clear the browser cache, cookies, etc. Browser > Options > Cache Options.

And of course, read this thread
    The memory clean gave me an extra half a meg so its now 12.5 - I cant get Memmax to do anything - should it auto run - I have no app associated with it.
    03-03-09 12:37 PM
    If I close them then they still appear (when I do Alt Escape) - Am I doing something wrong?
    If I'm not mistaken, there are certain apps that ALWAYS run...phone, browser, BB Messenger, messages, and home screen
    03-03-09 12:40 PM
    Have you installed a memory card? Are you are saving ringtones, pictures and/or video to your device memory? If so, that most likely is using up your memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 12:50 PM
    kcmo is correct, and qc10 raises a good point about media stored in the device memory.
    03-03-09 12:52 PM
    Have you installed a memory card? Are you are saving ringtones, pictures and/or video to your device memory? If so, that most likely is using up your memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes I do have a memory card which I have formatted today just in case that is impacting (but it shouldnt since it is seperate) - I have no pictures, ringtones or video that I can see - I did take a video of foxes at 3am in London about 3 months ago on it but deleted it soon after and cant see any trace of it. Video, Camera and ringtones all seem empty (and will not let me store to anything other than the SD card anyway). I can only think summit is hidden somewhere!
    03-03-09 02:27 PM
    To close out of apps, push the button (menu) left of the trackball, skroll down and select close.
    03-03-09 02:52 PM
    I have had a thought. Before I had the Blackberry I had an XDA that was O2 branded - on Windows Mobile they pre-loaded a load of horrific software that 'piggy backed' the OS that you couldnt turn off without hacking (which I did) - I am wondering if O2 in their wisdom have done somehting like that - certainly there are some additions since I have an O2 Active browser selection I can use that I assume nobody else would have.
    03-04-09 02:43 AM
    Thanks to all the help I have now got my file free up to 28MB. Got crackme working and also went through the OS 'hacking' and loading - most of the space seems to be the multi language - seems O2 ship with everything loaded!

Thanks again
    03-04-09 07:45 AM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    03-04-09 07:54 AM
    Great. Glad you got it worked out.
    03-04-09 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD