I've recently, for complex and boring reasons, found myself (a Verizon user with an 8830) shopping around for a new carrier.

The thing is, I want the 8310 from ATT. I miss having a camera on my phone (which Verizon and Sprint don't offer) for various tedious reasons, and I want GPS (which Verizon and TMobile don't offer).

I'm afraid, however, to lose my browsing speeds, and since my local AT&T won't put a working BB Curve in the store, I can't test the surfing speeds against my current EVDO BB 8830.

Yes, yes, I realize that EVDO is 5x faster than EDGE, blah blah blah, but the fact is that the BB bottlenecks a good deal of that anyway. What I want to know is, from a practical perspective, using only the BB's browser (or Opera Mini) and NOT bluetooth tethering (which I never use), how much of a speed loss could I expect to see if I chose AT&T's EDGE network over Sprint's EVDO network?

Please, if somebody has any experience with this - Cingular customers that went to Verizon or vice-versa - I'd love to hear from you. I want the curve's lovely camera and the full QWERTY, but I need to know how much of a browsing hit I'd expect to take.
    11-17-07 07:21 AM
    Well I just left Verizon for T-Mobile and the browsing on EDGE is slower but it is not annoyingly slower. After a few days you honestly forget it is even slower. Also, Sprint is coming out with the 8130 for this holiday season if you can wait and really dont want to switch.
    11-17-07 08:22 AM
    ATT is ok for speed,had verizon for a day not empressed,with evdo not faster, EDGE is better.now back with att bb edge ok.
    11-17-07 08:36 AM
    ATT is ok for speed,had verizon for a day not empressed,with evdo not faster, EDGE is better.now back with att bb edge ok.
    I just got an 8820. Had a 8310 for a few days but EDGE was intolerably slow. It turns out that the 8820 can't hold a wi-fi connection very well and when it does work, it's not much faster than the 8820. I'm thinking of going to Verizon for an 8830 evdo but you're not making that sound much better.

I think that the reality of the situation is that a blackberry handles email well but web access is a chimera for all practical purposes.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. I'm new at this and don't want to make any (more) mistakes.

Ray
    12-29-07 01:09 PM
    I've recently, for complex and boring reasons, found myself (a Verizon user with an 8830) shopping around for a new carrier.

The thing is, I want the 8310 from ATT. I miss having a camera on my phone (which Verizon and Sprint don't offer) for various tedious reasons, and I want GPS (which Verizon and TMobile don't offer).

I'm afraid, however, to lose my browsing speeds, and since my local AT&T won't put a working BB Curve in the store, I can't test the surfing speeds against my current EVDO BB 8830.

Yes, yes, I realize that EVDO is 5x faster than EDGE, blah blah blah, but the fact is that the BB bottlenecks a good deal of that anyway. What I want to know is, from a practical perspective, using only the BB's browser (or Opera Mini) and NOT bluetooth tethering (which I never use), how much of a speed loss could I expect to see if I chose AT&T's EDGE network over Sprint's EVDO network?

Please, if somebody has any experience with this - Cingular customers that went to Verizon or vice-versa - I'd love to hear from you. I want the curve's lovely camera and the full QWERTY, but I need to know how much of a browsing hit I'd expect to take.
    I just moved to AT&T from Verizon. I can only say that speed is in the eye of the beholder. Get a Curve, as I did, and try it out for up to 30 days. After just a few days I was happy with the Curve but YMMV. Once you try it out you will know what to do. It all depends upon your tastes and network quality where you are located.
    12-29-07 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD