Ok my trip is this week and I want to make sure I have everything straight about using my phone.

My purpose is not to make any calls or text messages, but use my internet only in free WiFi areas (hotel, a few city centers that have it etc).

My understanding is if I use local WiFi I will not be charged anything (like the insane data charges per mb from providers and such).

So let me know if I this is right and if these are the things I need to do.

a) Turn off roaming on my data services

b) Switch my browser to (Hotspot Browser) (under browser and under general

c) Turn off Mobile Network under Manage Connections

Is that everything?

When I did this before (going to Canada for a week) I seem to recall being able to use the internet through WiFi free and using IM and somehow I recall using text messages though not getting charged (maybe that is only in Canada that worked).
    08-30-10 12:43 PM
    Your settings should be fine. You wouldn't be able to send or receive a SMS if your network connections are off.

Your wifi should work fine and you should be good to go
    08-30-10 02:25 PM
    Make sure you have Int'l roaming on your line.
    08-30-10 08:41 PM
    Your settings should be fine. You wouldn't be able to send or receive a SMS if your network connections are off.

Your wifi should work fine and you should be good to go
    Ok thanks, that's all I wanted to know. Seems many people have asked this question but wanted to text and recieve mails too making the answer somewhat confusing. I just want the internet and nothing more, which I should be able to get from WiFi alone and having the T-Mobile mobile network turned off...
    08-31-10 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD