I've had my curve for a few weeks now and checking emails only by the hotspot browser is quite a pain (I don't have a data plan). Is there any way emails could be forwarded from my gmail account automatically as an sms text message to my phone? I've looked around and found a great application from amikamobile.net at a yearly rate of $5/month or $50/ year, but I was hoping to find something free. Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by vtsang; 03-29-09 at 04:34 AM.
    03-29-09 04:15 AM
    I've had my curve for a few weeks now and checking emails only by the hotspot browser is quite a pain (I don't have a data plan). Is there any way emails could be forwarded from my gmail account automatically as an sms text message to my phone? I've looked around and found a great application from amikamobile.net at a yearly rate of $5/month or $50/ year, but I was hoping to find something free. Thanks a bunch
    My honest answer to you is I don't know.

I would have to say due to the amount of characters in a text message and what might come through in an email, I would think not.

There are only 160 characters for the text messages on the Blackberry. If you received a (3) three page email then you would receive so many text messages just to compensate for the email.

Example: (4,000) four thousand characters in an email sent to you via text message, that would be 4,000 / 160 = 25 text messages just for that email. Talk about tying up your phone for a little while, and that is just (1) one email. What if you got (15) fifteen emails? WOW!

Most, I did say most, not all, emails have pictures and graphics in them, they cannot be sent via text message. If they did then your talking about MMS text message, which is a different animal in itself. You might not even receive them correctly

So, again, I will answer if there is, I don't know...

msblueline
    03-29-09 05:59 AM
    i know with VZW i used to have gmail forward my emails as MMS to my phone. Character limit is longer. [email protected]. i did this on my dumb phone as a sort of push email..worked great.

You just need to find the MMS email address for your carrier. i can't see who you have on WAP.

If nothing else, almost every carrier has an email address to send sms to the phone (@vtext, @tmomail, etc). Find that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-29-09 at 06:20 AM.
    03-29-09 06:13 AM
    I would think that the service chrisy is talking about isn't entirely free though, no?
    03-29-09 01:16 PM
    Chrisy's method would work fine. I don't know about the format they would show up in but seems useful if you don't have a data plan

03-29-09 01:22 PM
    the email would arrive as an MMS. So, if you have an MMS plan it will be deducted from your bucket. If not, it will cost you per MMS.

when i forwarded my gmail to my phone via MMS, it arrived as plain text.

03-29-09 04:16 PM
    the email would arrive as an MMS. So, if you have an MMS plan it will be deducted from your bucket. If not, it will cost you per MMS.

when i forwarded my gmail to my phone via MMS, it arrived as plain text.

That makes sense, I think my plan allows for a certain few of those a month, so this option for email seems like it would be costly.
    03-29-09 04:18 PM
    If you have VZW, Sultan, then your message plan includes sms, mms and videos up to whatever your monthly allowance is.

i know some carriers have separate sms and mms packages. Not sure which ones but not VZW. Even if you have the cheapest message package at 5, that's 250 text, pics or vids.

03-29-09 04:23 PM
    Hey thanks for the suggestion chrisy, I'm currently on Fido with an unlimited text messages plan. Would i get any luck with Fido?
    03-29-09 10:16 PM
    You may want to call and ask a rep. i suggest googling for the info first. Try to find someone on here with FIDO and see if they can help.

Are pic messages included in your plan?

03-30-09 06:28 PM
    If not mistaken, Google's Grandcentral allows for messages to be sent as SMS. Not entirely sure why one would want to do such a thing given the small number of characters SMSs allow.
    03-30-09 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD