Hi,

I have searched around and found many problems faced regarding the email icon showing unread emails but in actual fact there are none. My problem however is the opposite of that - there are unread emails but it is not indicating as such.

This is specifically for Gmail as all my other email accounts are showing unread emails just fine. It is a minor issue but it does get on my nerves trying to figure this out.

Recent activities include upgrading OS to OS5 and changing telco, doubt if these are the cause of it. I have tried deleting and creating the email account and battery pull to no avail.

Any ideas?
    06-14-10 06:07 AM
    Hey dgod, and welcome to Crackberry!

I believe there is a setting under email settings to show the unread count of emails. My phone is currently restarting and I can't point you to the exact place to go, but I believe it is under Messages>Options>General Option/Email Options, and there should be an option there.

What OS are you running? Have you tried doing a battery pull?
    06-14-10 09:15 PM
    Hi rcnathan, thanks for the welcome. :-)

I did go to the settings to ensure that it is enabled at Messages>Options>General Options>Display Message Count and did a battery pull a few times (both before and after saving the settings!).

I upgraded my OS4.6 to OS5 (specifically 5.0.0.509). Any other ideas? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 10:36 PM
    Are you using the stock theme?
    06-14-10 11:07 PM
    I am guessing it is stock as I did not change themes when I bought it. Is there a possibility my telco might do some changes to the theme?

06-14-10 11:18 PM
    I am not sure what telco is. :/ I would try downloading another theme from here on crackberry, just almost any theme will do and going in to your Messages and click on an email and mark it as unread and see if the envelope icon pops up.
    06-14-10 11:46 PM
    Oops, apologies! I meant telco in the context of a telecommunications company or carrier.

Ok, updates:

1) I downloaded a theme and somehow it did not appear anywhere. New question, where can I find it to delete it?
    2) Downloaded a different theme and installed it. Noticed that all the icons changed as per the theme except for the Gmail icon. Still not showing unread emails. Performed a battery pull and the results were still the same.
    3) Re-activated the default theme and surprisingly 2 Gmail icons appeared. This time one of it is working and the other not. Checked in Email Setup and there is only 1 Gmail account visible.
    4) Performed another battery pull and only 1 Gmail icon visible and it is not working.
    5) Deleted Gmail account in Email setup and activated the new downloaded theme, problem still persists. Tried the same step to reactivate default theme and 2 icons appeared.
    6) Workaround: I hid the icon that is not working.
    7) Unfortunately problem persists when I performed a battery pull.

More updates:
    8) Decided to wipe my device to solve the issue. Unfortunately it still persists.
    9) Performed both variations of wipe through Options>Security Options>Security Wipe and JL_Cmder.
    10) Still see 2 icons of Gmail visible; one will disappear after a battery pull.

This is getting very frustrating, can someone please help? :-(
    Last edited by dgod; 06-15-10 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Included more updates
    06-15-10 01:11 AM
    Anyone with ideas?

Perhaps a method to clear email/messages history/settings? I tried to perform a wipe and it still did not resolve it. I still see 2 Gmail email icons when I change themes.
    06-17-10 05:35 AM
    Geez you have been through the ringer. I would try logging into your BIS account from your computer. Google your carrier + BIS account, and log into your account and see how many email accounts you have set up on there. Then, search around on there and find the, Send Service Books, button and click it. You should see your email account pop up on your device.

Make sure, when you go into Messages and click on the BB button>Options>General Options>Display Message Count (unread in selected)>Display New Message Indicator (Yes). Then under Message Alerts in Messages, click on your email account and make sure that the LED setting is set to Yes.

06-17-10 08:25 PM
    Oh yes I have!

Anyway can you elaborate further on how to login to my BIS account from my computer? I tried going to my carrier's website and login but it says that I am only able to login to BIS using my BlackBerry.

Is there a way to completely wipe out email settings? I have a feeling there is some kind of corruption with it as it displays 2 Gmail email icon when I change theme (of course it disappears when I try to send an email, etc.).
    06-18-10 03:35 AM
    Who is your carrier? Google for your carriers BIS page.

Yes that is weird, to me as I said, it sounds like you have multiple of the same email account setup in BIS and that may be causing you some grief. So you will need to log in to find out.

Well, yes there is a way to wipe the device - however, if you reinstalled the OS than that has been done already for you.

06-18-10 08:35 AM
    Maybe is a Carreir problem with the bis...

Its weird...
    06-18-10 10:11 AM
    I did get to my carrier's website to login BIS but it appears that I am not allowed to login using my computer. Perhaps I will give them a call to see if they can assist. Will keep you guys updated, thanks for all the help thus far.
    06-19-10 04:49 AM
    I did get to my carrier's website to login BIS but it appears that I am not allowed to login using my computer. Perhaps I will give them a call to see if they can assist. Will keep you guys updated, thanks for all the help thus far.
    i have gmail and had 2 icons for a while and then i resent service books and it solved the issue one just disapears. you can log in to your bis from your phone go to the setup wizard and setup email it will direct you to your carriers bis login you should delete your email account then re add it , try then click on help link it should have option to re send service books. close out the site . give it a couple mins to recieve the service books and see it it help. If still nothing try pulling the battery to see if it will refresh that way. good luck
    06-19-10 11:51 PM
    I did try to resend the Service Books, delete and add the email account. Unfortunately it still did not resolve the problem.
    07-01-10 06:03 AM
    Throw it at the wall. I have no idea then, I'm sorry. :/

07-01-10 09:25 AM
    Just to make sure I understand - this is ONLY happening with GMail, all your other email shows the unread indicator? The emails from Google Mail show up properly, but they don't increase the unread indicator appropriately? Does that accurately reflect the issue?
    07-01-10 07:51 PM
    rcnathan,
    LOL! Thanks for all your help though, really appreciate it.

kwkid,
    Yes, that sums it up perfectly. The emails goes in/out as per normal but the unread indicator does not work at all. Any ideas?
    07-02-10 12:56 AM
    dgod,

Did you get this resolved? I, too, have the same problem. It just started today after I deleted my GMail accounts and recreated them in order to get the 2-way sync to work. Now my unread message count does not display under my GMail icons.
    08-06-10 08:18 PM
    dgod,

Did you get this resolved? I, too, have the same problem. It just started today after I deleted my GMail accounts and recreated them in order to get the 2-way sync to work. Now my unread message count does not display under my GMail icons.
    Hey chelleygirl, unfortunately the issue is still not resolved. I kinda ran out of ideas on what to do.
    09-03-10 07:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD