pray for it, fellow CB'ers!

i'm doing the rice trick and if it works, i win. if i lose, im screwed. i wanted to upgrade to the driftwood but there is no ETA on it.

anyone know when its coming out? i would hate to upgrade to the 8900 and then the driftwood comes out right after.
    08-11-09 12:43 PM
    Please indicate if you dropped it before or after using the toilet...

Just kidding! Good luck with the rice!

That poor poor BlackBerry...
    08-11-09 12:52 PM
    really hope it was after the good ole fush-a-roo!!
    08-11-09 12:55 PM
    Please indicate if you dropped it before or after using the toilet...

Just kidding! Good luck with the rice!

That poor poor BlackBerry...

before using the toilet, obviously!
    08-11-09 12:56 PM
    While with Verizon I dropped my 8830 into the pot, post business, pre-flush. It was all bad, I just went with an ins. claim and answered as few questions as I could. BTW, my drop was "by accident" too. All bad, funny, but BAD. Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 01:11 PM
    I've done that before, when I had T-Mobile. I was at work, and went to use the bathroom. DURING my business I pulled it out of my pocket and it slipped out of my hands. Didn't even think about it, just reached in and grabbed it. Pulled the battery, let it dry for a while. Turned it back on and all that worked were the 2-5-8-0 buttons. Luckily my friends number contained only those lol. Btw it was some p.o.s. Slider phone back in 05

08-11-09 01:18 PM
    When a phone falls in water put it in your jeans then the dryer, my friend wached his ipod by mistake and dried it by mistake 2 times and it's still working... try it...
    08-11-09 01:35 PM
    Luckily I work in electronic assembly and when my boss dropped his phone in a lake lucky for him he didn't try to turn it on too early. If you attempt to turn it on to early there is the potential for shortage. What we do here is after we assemble a circuit we bake them @ 70 degrees C which is 158 F. You can duplicate this in your oven at home. I did this with my ipod while on vacation. I set the oven on bake @ 100 degrees and left my ipod in for about 6 hours. I left my ipod exposed in my pocket during a snowboard trip and the pocket filled with snow which melted.
    Everything worked after the bake, the key is not to turn on the phone/electronics before all moisture is removed. The rice may work but I'd imagine it would take awhile.

Hope that helps.
    08-11-09 01:44 PM
    man, that's a real pisser
    08-11-09 06:15 PM
    Oh...I hope the rice works...
    08-11-09 07:20 PM
    That's a pretty shi++y story.
    08-11-09 08:29 PM
    Not to be judgmental but I hear of this happening a lot and I have to ask--how? Just what is going on in there for this to happen so often?

I can't say anything though--I wear my phone on my hip, one-time I went into the lake, totally forgetting to take my phone off my hip. This was about 3 years ago & luckily it wasn't a smartphone, in fact it was one of those old "black & white" Nokias (ie, it had a monochrome screen). I haven't come close to doing that again since, especially now that I use smartphones (currently the 8310).

08-11-09 09:56 PM
    Oh snap.

08-11-09 10:01 PM
    CRaP!.............!
    08-11-09 10:15 PM
    I had a friend put his phone on vibrate and put it on the back of his toilet to take a shower. Well I called him twice and needless to say the phone vibrated into the toilet lol.

08-11-09 10:24 PM
    I swear toilets have some sort of magnetic pull on cell phones. I have multiple friends who have ruined phones in that manner, and I can't even count the number of customers that have come in looking for a new phone due to the same issue (it's a lot!).

Good luck getting your berry dried. I'll say a little prayer before bed tonight.

08-12-09 12:36 AM
    08-12-09 12:48 AM
    Lol!! The same thing happened to me! Mine died though.. RIP 8300.. Good luck man!
    08-12-09 12:57 AM
    Just make sure it stays in that rice for no less than 8 hrs and hopefully that was new rice that you used!

08-12-09 05:39 AM
    I had a friend put his phone on vibrate and put it on the back of his toilet to take a shower. Well I called him twice and needless to say the phone vibrated into the toilet lol.

Hahaha, my girlfriend had hers on vibrate while it was sitting on the edge of a couch and it vibrated itself off the couch and into a glass of wine. I refuse to put mine on vibrate unless its in my pocket now.
    08-12-09 06:30 PM
    UPDATE:
    It doesn't work. The rice gods frowned upon me. So, I went and bought an 8700 for 50 bucks. I figured I could ride out an 8700 for the remaining 11ish months of my contract and then I upgrade to the Driftwood.

Thanks for the prayers, guys. I'm loyal to the brand, so I will use just about any BB to get my fix.
    08-13-09 11:55 AM
    I'm actually relieved to find out that I am not the only person who plays with it (my blackberry) while on the can.
    08-13-09 12:58 PM
    put my bold in with the laundry a few weeks ago. i feel your pain brother
    08-13-09 01:12 PM
    NEWS!

I now have my 8320 back! I put the battery in to clean up my dresser and was shocked to see it turn on! I'm posting from it now! It loves me!

08-13-09 01:13 PM
    One of these days I'm going to convince one of the engineers here to do a writeup on how to save your BB's if they fall in water. And believe me, it contains no rice.
    08-13-09 02:03 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD