Soooooooooooooooooooo,

Being a crackhead, and thinking like a crackhead (for those who haven't dealt with actual crackheads, there's not a lot of grey matter functioning there), I noodled around with my OS, pretty much removing every .cod file that looked unneeded.

Apparently, looks can be deceiving, since I got what looked like my 8310's version of the blue screen of death. It gave me an error code and proceeded to power off and on repeatedly. After about 5-10 minutes, it just stopped powering on altogether. Of course, it's also my only phone, home, mobile, everything. And I'm a single dad of a 5 year old. So, there was the brief panic that goes with that.

Not to worry though. I just got it as a Valentine's Day gift. (Yeah, my girl loves me that much!)

Ran down to the AT&T shop, a few blocks away. They looked it over and said, "do you want another Curve, or would you like something different?" That was a nobrainer. So, I got a shiny new curve, and a little humility while screwing with my OS. What was even cooler was, I made a habit of doing a backup pretty regularly. So, I didn't really lose anything. Even my purchased ringtones came back. (Good thing I hadn't entered my registration code into my copy of Ascendo Money yet, huh?) A short bit of time to reinstall BBLight, BBWeather, Viigo, and setup the new device on BIS, and I'm good to go!!! I love these things.
    03-11-08 07:56 AM
    Glad it all worked out for you. I haven't had the courage to fool around with my OS.
    03-11-08 08:51 AM
    Good deal they accommodated you so nicely.

The OS and cod files are not a big deal if you know what to remove and what not.
    03-11-08 08:54 AM
    ya i'm afraid to mess with those lol
    03-11-08 08:57 AM
    my BB is my baby. i wouldnt do anything that even seems harmful without doing research on it first n asking questions. this is my first blackberry... i DO NOT want to loose it n never forget it.
    03-11-08 09:15 AM
    I tell you what, I deleted some service books and got rid of a lot of the CR@P that AT&T had on it. I also got rid of the pre-installed sample video, the AT&T theme, and the pre-installed wallpapers. It's so happy being nice and clean inside. Now I can load it with the stuff I want it to have.

But I also highly value the regular backup, so that if I do jack it up, like I did yesterday, I can restore it, or a replacement, quickly.
    03-11-08 09:19 AM
    Your AT&T service books for all the sales short cuts and stuff will likely be pushed back, mine have been about 4 times. Finally I created a folder called "ATT Crap", placed all those unwanted pushed ATT icons into the folder, and hid the folder.
    03-11-08 09:43 AM
    Nice.

Thanks AT&T.

I had the icons hidden, so, that'll probably be how it continues when pushed back. Oh well.
    03-11-08 12:23 PM
    Nice one! That is the price we *ahem*computernerds*ahem* pay for tinkering with the innards of our tech gadgets. Glad AT&T came through for ya.
    03-11-08 03:13 PM
    I prefer the term "geek", since I'm not the actual computer nerd in my line of work. Just a hobbyist. A geek, for sure.

Now, if I could just figure out how to connect this flux capacitor . . .
    03-12-08 08:17 AM
    I did like jsanders did. I created a folder and put all that CRAP into it and hid it. I'm not going to use that crap anyway.

I did do some os mods by using John Clark's method and haven't had any trouble. I eliminated samples and the PTT and Voice dialing. I now have about 22 mb free space for useful stuff.
    03-12-08 12:18 PM
    Yeah, that was the posting I followed initially too. I kept voice dialing, because I actually use it a lot.

But I did get rid of samples, PTT, and the BES stuff.
    03-12-08 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD