I'm trying to get my GF's curve to log into Google maps so I can keep track of her during her trip from Oceanside CA to Tucson, AZ. Supposed to be raining today and I want to know where she is if there are flash floods on her route. The Weather Channel mentioned there is a flash flood warning for HWY 8 today.

We just now set up a Google account for her, was able to log on with both computer and curve's browser, but attempts at signing on in the Google Maps app (so we can sign her up for Latitude) fails every time. Have tried at least a dozen or so times, exited Google Maps then relaunched, turned off phone then back on, login fails every time. Do I need to do a battery pull?

Maybe it takes a while for the app to "kick in?"

Your suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!
    08-22-09 11:41 AM
    Google maps and the gps chip in the 83xx aren't real friendly. I'm on my bb so I can't see your carrier but if its vzw it'll never work. I don't have vzw(my gps is unlocked) and its pretty rare when google maps gets a solid sat lock on me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 11:48 AM
    oh so that's it... the chip in the Curve and the fact that yes, we are on VZW?

Google maps works great on my Storm, so I thought it was going to work just as well as her Curve 8330... I did notice that the location finder works down to several meters on the Storm but on her Curve it seems to find only the nearest sat. tower.

But you would at least think the app would let us log on?
    08-22-09 11:53 AM
    With Google maps open, jump to the options menu, advanced options, GPS. Once there, open the menu and refresh the GPS. That works for me.

But if your carrier does not allow it, you're stuck.

08-22-09 12:32 PM
    VZW has GPS locked on all but the Storm and Tour. The only GPS apps that will work on the Curve are VZW Navigator at $10 a month or BBMaps.

08-22-09 01:46 PM
    It stupifies me that the Curve, such a common blackberry wouldn't work with Google Maps latitude? I mean, c'mon!
    But the app itself does seem to work, Latitude notwithstanding...
    08-22-09 02:37 PM
    It's not the Curve itself. It's that VZW has blocked its use. I still use Google Maps for some things because it will work to some degree because without GPS it uses triangulation of cell towers. Sometimes it gets close to my location and sometimes it's off by more than 5 miles closer to 10 miles.

08-22-09 03:10 PM
    Wow, locked the GPS. What could the reason be for that? It's not like it costs them anything to have it enabled, and could in fact help them sell a few?

Boggles the mind really.
    08-22-09 04:03 PM
    Its all abt the Benjamins.
    Why should they let u use something for free when u can pay $9,99 a month?
    I get it now... So why does it work on my storm?

08-22-09 04:53 PM
    Not sure the reason it's unlocked on the Storm and Tour. Maybe an agreement with RIM or maybe RIM made it so they couldn't lock it out. Haven't really seen the reason anywhere.

08-22-09 05:39 PM
    Motrv8d this probably isn't very helpful now for todays trip but for future use I suggest uninstalling google maps on her curve & reinstalling it after a battery pull. That may not work, but its what I would try. I have a curve too & google maps works as well as can be expected with the GPS lock. Its not exact, but its good enough.
    And btw I also agree that its totally bogus. The Storm & Tour are incredibly popular but the Curve has been around much longer & therefore has more users. I guess because GPS was initally locked when the Curve came out VZW just isn't going to bother unlocking it. They want us to buy the navigator app, or buy a new BB.

08-22-09 06:31 PM
    Its almost a moot pt b/c I couldn't even login on Google latitude with her phone.

08-22-09 08:04 PM
    I'm with ATT and google maps and latitude both work great for me and my friends. Sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

08-22-09 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD