Does Google Maps (on the Curve 8330) actually use the Curve's built-in hardware GPS? (I'm *not* talking about cell tower triangulation�I already know it uses that.)

I thought I'd heard that it does...but on my phone anyway, it seems to ignore the GPS and insist on using cell triangulation (which of course is nowhere near as accurate).

I appreciated Blackberry Maps for this reason (it *does* use the built-in hardware GPS)...but alas, I recently upgraded my Verizon 8330 to OS 4.5.0.131, and Maps disappeared.

I tried downloading Maps from Blackberry, and see a message saying that Maps is only compatible with OS version 4.1.x and 4.2.x (Huh? It was working fine for me before!)

Thanks,
    Scott
    05-14-09 06:53 AM
    Verizon has a tendency to cripple the GPS usage for your device using a 3rd party application. They want you to pay extra to use *their* VZNav. Isn't that sweet?
    05-14-09 06:57 AM
    Google Maps on an 8330, for VZ, will not use the GPS build into your device. Only BlackBerry Maps or VZ Navigator will.

The Storm on the other hand has open GPS, so that will work just fine.
    05-14-09 06:59 AM
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where/how I can download *only* the Blackberry Maps app for my Verizon 8330?

In spite of Verizon not liking GPS functionality for 3rd party apps, Maps worked fine w/the GPS (until I upgraded my OS and lost Maps!)

Thanks,
    Scott
    05-14-09 08:26 AM
    I find it wird too, how blackberry maps will not work with the newer OS.
    I mean it works find with the previous once!
    05-14-09 08:34 AM
    Google Maps on an 8330, for VZ, will not use the GPS build into your device. Only BlackBerry Maps or VZ Navigator will.

The Storm on the other hand has open GPS, so that will work just fine.
    This is incorrect. I am using Google maps with my vzw 8330 and the GPS is working properly as it did with Blackberry maps. Google maps is just 10x better!
    05-14-09 12:10 PM
    Apparently GPS and the 8330 or 8330m is hit or miss. I have been battling with mine for a week now. There is a fix if you have NO gps, just search the forums. Apparently some ppl can get google working, some cant.... no rhyme or reason to it either way.
    05-14-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD