So I haven't purchased my first BB yet, but I'm pretty settled on the Curve. I finally went into the store today to actually put my hands on one, and my fingers felt so fat! I attempted typing a few sentences (of course it was just a model, so it's not like I could see the results of my typing), and it felt like I was hitting every key next to the one I wanted. Or if I was really careful about it, then the typing just seemd slow and awkward.

...so tell me, how long does it take to accomplish efficient, mostly error-free typing. The whole thing felt so forign to me, that I ended up walking out discouraged.

(keep in mind, this is my very first smart phone of any kind, and I never text on my cell phone)

Please tell me its not so bad...
    10-04-08 04:37 PM
    its not so bad. you have to play with it some. I learned that you don't have to push to keys all the way down to type. and if you use the tips of both thumbs, you can be very fast. the more u use it, the faster you get.
    10-04-08 04:43 PM
    I got big hands and I type on it just fine. It took me a bit but only a few days of getting used to it... Good luck and go for it.
    10-04-08 04:44 PM
    Also don't double post.. You already have a thread created.....
    10-04-08 04:54 PM
    It should be pretty straight forward to type on the curve . You'll be whizzing along after no time at all.
    10-04-08 04:58 PM
    It takes a while, I have small fingers, but it does take a lil getting used too,
    10-04-08 04:59 PM
    I dont know how to do much... but I have mastered texting, Its easy, and I must say I like the format of the letters on the curve. I had the Palm Centro before and I forget what else I had, but as far as the space between the letters, I think the Curve is the best. trust me youll get used to it in a matter of hours or days, depending on how much you text. If I were you when you get it, Just randomly Text people or have some one converse with you via text and you"ll master it in no time!
    10-04-08 04:59 PM
    You get used to it! When I first got mine I was typing with my nails and then I decided I didn't want to scratcht he letters off the keys so I really worked at not using my nails...and it's really fast now.

You'll never be 100% error free...especially if you're rushing, but you can type uber fast and with autotext fixing words you routinely misspell...it's not that bad!
    10-04-08 05:10 PM
    @ 1st i couldnt type for crap. but now i been gettin pretty used to it and i had it a wk now
    10-04-08 05:20 PM
    like everyone else is saying "dont worry about it, you'll get use to it!" i got big hands too and it got easier after a few weeks. but just make sure u aint got no long thumb nails cuz it kinda makes it harder to type IMO haha.
    Also b4 i got the bb i had a t-mobile HTC Wing, and i find it that i type alot faster w/ the bb qwerty keyboard than the Wing's larger keyboard. weird isn't it?
    Last edited by VillanBB; 10-04-08 at 05:27 PM.
    10-04-08 05:24 PM
    Coming from a Palm Treo, I find the Curve keyboard buttons much nicer and a little bigger. I also have long nails and get a long just fine!

If it's any comfort, I am also not a teenager that types so fast, if you blink you missed it. You will find your comfort level and will love it!
    10-04-08 05:27 PM
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement... I'm excited once again for my new purchase!

And I'm sorry about the double post... I posted it on one forum, then figured it was better suited for the other. I've been a member for like a day and a half, and already I broke the rules... won't happen agian.
    10-04-08 05:36 PM
    I can type grat on my curve.. U just have to get use to the keys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 05:41 PM
    I have massive hands and I could type fine within a few days... I also have an 8830 unit and the keys became terrible to type on..
    10-04-08 05:42 PM
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement... I'm excited once again for my new purchase!

And I'm sorry about the double post... I posted it on one forum, then figured it was better suited for the other. I've been a member for like a day and a half, and already I broke the rules... won't happen agian.
    No Problem. Welcome to CB! Once you learn more about your Curve, you are going to realize how great a phone it is! Definlitely check out the lectures under the newbie tab.....so much great info!
    10-04-08 05:45 PM
    I have massive hands and I could type fine within a few days... I also have an 8830 unit and the keys became terrible to type on..
    what do you mean the keys became terrible??
    10-04-08 05:48 PM
    There is truly no better way to type up long reports for work than laying on my bed at night while my wife sleeps beside me... Knocking out a 10-12 page report on my BB Curve.

Yes, you really DO get used to it!
    10-04-08 07:04 PM
    The curve is my first smart phone. I've used cell phones for just over 10 years and I can say that the curve is the best phone I've ever used. The full keyboard I feel is one of its best features.
    10-04-08 07:09 PM
    my first bb and it is so easy to get use to. never even had a smart phone before too. Only thing I ever touched lightly was a friend's sidekick and that's nasty to me
    10-04-08 07:15 PM
    I'm upgraded from a Nokia E61i to a BB 8320. The E61i's keypad was larger than the 8320. I had the same problem as you. I would consistently hit the keys next to the ones I wanted. I eventually go use to the Curve keyboard. I'm sure I'll have the same problem when I upgrade to a Bold.
    10-04-08 07:35 PM
    There is truly no better way to type up long reports for work than laying on my bed at night while my wife sleeps beside me... Knocking out a 10-12 page report on my BB Curve.

Yes, you really DO get used to it!
    Jesus. I knew you could use it for e-mails, buy you actually type 10 page documents on it? That's impressive.
    10-04-08 08:10 PM
    type emails like no tomorrow and you'll get used to it
    10-04-08 08:12 PM
    you get use to it
    10-04-08 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD