stubbornswiss is not worth arguing with. just look at the s/n, theres just no point. As far as your daughter's dilema goes, you can try to set up the messengers on the computer and set up forwarding through texting. I have done that on AIM, not with a BB, but it should work with normal texting.

I have decided to trade my phone for a 8350i. Then I will try to wrangle nextel out of having to have thier plan by threatening to cancel my plan completely (I can do that since my contract is far over). If that doesn't work I will just turn it into a boostberry and use thier $50 a month unlimited plan, cheaper than nextel's data plan that isnt even unlimited.
    good idea...I say that you argue and get angry and they will give in and allow u to activate the BB without the data plan (this should work for sprint/nextel). They would rather keep a customer without a data plan, then lose a customer altogether.
    08-04-09 09:20 AM
    I second the IM forwarding - it took me longer than it should have to figure it out but I got it set up and now when I'm signed off on my laptop, IMs get sent to my phone (:
    08-04-09 09:24 AM
    Sprint doesn't even use SIM cards so how in the world did you get a SIM card?

And you have to have a data plan to get a BB activated. I've been with them 10 years, you need a data plan. It's $30. I actually pay less for my BB through Sprint with the discounts, etc., than I did for a normal phone.
    08-04-09 09:28 AM
    stubbornswiss is not worth arguing with. just look at the s/n, theres just no point. As far as your daughter's dilema goes, you can try to set up the messengers on the computer and set up forwarding through texting. I have done that on AIM, not with a BB, but it should work with normal texting.

I have decided to trade my phone for a 8350i. Then I will try to wrangle nextel out of having to have thier plan by threatening to cancel my plan completely (I can do that since my contract is far over). If that doesn't work I will just turn it into a boostberry and use thier $50 a month unlimited plan, cheaper than nextel's data plan that isnt even unlimited.
    The data plan is unlimited through Sprint ... why not through Nextel? They are owned by the same company.

Maybe you should go into a store.
    08-04-09 09:29 AM

And you have to have a data plan to get a BB activated. I've been with them 10 years, you need a data plan. It's $30. I actually pay less for my BB through Sprint with the discounts, etc., than I did for a normal phone.
    not necessarily, you can get a BB activated without a data plan with sprint/nextel, if you say no when they try to force it upon you and argue....
    08-04-09 09:33 AM
    I'd recommend getting a Family plan. It kind of helps split the costs of the data/messaging plans. I'm on AT&T and we have 3 lines on a FT plan. So unlimited messaging is $30 or $10/line. And because we have unlimited messaging, we can get unlimited data for an extra $10/line.
    08-04-09 09:34 AM
    rb68 I disagree with the verizon forcing you to have a data plan. they will tell you all day long in the store that you have to have it but you call the 1-800 and they tell you that you DO NOT have to have it. I have been around the beaten trail with them over that. But the catch with VW is they will still let some data seep thru and you will be charged for it.
    08-04-09 11:26 AM
    rb68 I disagree with the verizon forcing you to have a data plan. they will tell you all day long in the store that you have to have it but you call the 1-800 and they tell you that you DO NOT have to have it. I have been around the beaten trail with them over that. But the catch with VW is they will still let some data seep thru and you will be charged for it.
    Thank you, finally someone who agrees with me...I am with sprint and they tried to force me to get a data plan when I was ordering it over the phone but I argued and they said ok and agreed...my blackberry comes in a few days and I plan to activate it without any sort of data plan......I think you can do this with most companies, its just that some are tougher than others...Sprint is much easier than Verizon.
    08-04-09 01:45 PM
    The catch used to be with sprint is you could get the phone but any rebates/discounts were not available without a data plan. That is if you buy the plone from them.
    08-04-09 01:49 PM
    Im on sprint and you can switch onto that. On sprint, all you need is the everything plan and you're all good to go with any phone you choose.
    08-04-09 05:06 PM
    Disagree if you want, the data plan is a hard code in the billing system. Not optional.
    08-04-09 05:27 PM
    I didn't read the forum, cause I'm lazy, but decided to put my two cents in.

I myself have an AT&T BlackBerry that my dad let me have. I used to have a Motorola RAZR V3. All I did was pop in my SIM card into the BB (I know it's not that easy with Verizon) and it worked.

It's the same with both carriers: without a data plan, they will charge a LOT for data. AT&T charges a cent per KB. With 2.5 MB of data, that's $25 right off the bat. You could live with it, as I do.
    08-04-09 06:21 PM
    Sprint doesnt use SIM cards, nextel does. Which makes dealing with them all the more tough.
    08-05-09 07:12 PM
    *To clarify some of the questions and concerns some users have:

-I have the family plan, the one with 700 shared minutes. I am the third phone on the plan.
    -When I said Nextel's data plan is not unlimited, I meant that the minutes are not unlimited (the data is). The cheapest one gets you 450 anytime minutes, which is enough for me but boost has unlimited everything for $50 so why not?
    -I will not get the phone through the company. I will buy it used. I will sell the 8310 for about the same as the 8350i will cost.
    -I dont want the simply everything plan. $100 a month for one phone? screw that, all three of ours costs $100 all together. My share is $20 a month, thats how much my parents would save by dropping me. thats a friggin steal there mates, very good for a college kid who will have no income next month! And my share of the minutes is more than enough for my use.
    -I really want to stay on the family plan, it only costs me $20 and my share is more than enough for me. Also I really want to keep my number (hence why I would go to boost if Nextel cant do that). I could use this to my advantage. While neither of my parents care to switch off the service or use blackberrys/data, I can hint that they will loose the whole family and not just me. wink wink
    Last edited by cbburtraw; 08-05-09 at 07:26 PM.
    08-05-09 07:18 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD