Thanks for laying down the law there. Now we all know that a BB without data is completely useless and won't even work as a phone.[/sarcasm]

There's hundreds of reasons to have a BB and not pay for data. I'd discuss but I can see that you have made up your mind already, and I don't feel the need to waste any of my time.
    Brother, you obviously don't get it!

No one is laying down any law, and sarcasm is always welcome!

I will say it again, if you are too cheap to get a data plan, you are too cheap to get a Blackberry!

There are several other phones out there that will do what a BB can do without a data plan. The real benefit of a BB is its data handling capabilities, especially its handling of email. If you are not going to use any of these capabilities, why get a BB and then complain that you need a data plan?

A cheap sub compact car will get you from your home to your office. So will an expensive Italian exotic car. Why buy the Italian car and then complain that you don't understand why the manufacturers insist you use premium gas in it?

Not looking for an argument, just pointing out the obvious!

I hope you find the time to continue this and other interesting Blackberry related discussions.

Have a great day
    08-03-09 08:17 AM
    ^^ Wow dude chill out. Did you notice that the phone was FREE? I just wanted to see if it could serve as a direct replacement for my old piece of junk phone. Maybe when I have more use for the data aspects I would have gotten a data plan in the future. Im 18 and college bound, I dont need to spend extra money on something I dont need and I refue to sign another contract (my nextel one is finally expired as of April) for the time being.

Basicly you are saying that I dont deserve to own a blackberry because I choose not to use EVERY feature that it has immediately? I see no point in doing email and web surfing on a 2.5" screen with buttons smaller than my fingers. I spend enough time on the computer to get all that done.

This phone would be useful, TO ME, as a PHONE first and formost, a messenger/texter, alarm clock, callender, address book (a damn good one too), simple games maybe, a memo pad, calculator, and (i just discoverd this yesterday) a music/video/picture player since my ipod broke, oh almost forgot the camera. I just dont care to do internet or email on my phone.
    08-03-09 04:14 PM
    so no. you don't need a data plan. i don't care what the flamers say, i used a bb for over a year w/o a plan. did what i needed it to do. although a 7290 was a lil bulkier than my SE W810i, it had a heck of a lot nicer calendar. my curve has been the best phone i ever owned, and i went half a year without a data plan.
    08-03-09 04:48 PM
    so no. you don't need a data plan. i don't care what the flamers say, i used a bb for over a year w/o a plan. did what i needed it to do. although a 7290 was a lil bulkier than my SE W810i, it had a heck of a lot nicer calendar. my curve has been the best phone i ever owned, and i went half a year without a data plan.
    how do I go about doing that? If i can get away with no data plan from nextel, I will sell this one and get an 8350i. and for those serious blackberry user-haters on here, in the future when I have and want use for internet (and Im sure I will one day) I will get a data plan.

ANOTHER ?: Will the iDEN 8350i work on boost?
    08-03-09 05:12 PM
    Never mind, I have done some searching and found some useful info on the subject.
    /f137/boostberry-8350i-workarounds-177019/
    08-03-09 06:06 PM
    I just ordered my blackberry 8330 and renewed my 2 year contract with Sprint and I DID NOT HAVE TO GET A DATA PLAN!! The guy offered it to me but I said I don't want it and then he transferred me and the lady said it is alright. I also called back later in the day and talked to someone else and asked them whether i needed a data plan...She said no, it is just if you want to use the extra features. So there u have it...Sprint will try to force it on you but JUST SAY NO!! Also, I don't have any kind of plan that involves any kind of data plans/features...I have a basic family plan.
    08-03-09 06:13 PM
    cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130308706148

what do you all think of this?

sorry i cut it short add the http in front, it wont let me post links just yet
    08-03-09 06:14 PM
    I just ordered my blackberry 8330 and renewed my 2 year contract with Sprint and I DID NOT HAVE TO GET A DATA PLAN!! The guy offered it to me but I said I don't want it and then he transferred me and the lady said it is alright. I also called back later in the day and talked to someone else and asked them whether i needed a data plan...She said no, it is just if you want to use the extra features. So there u have it...Sprint will try to force it on you but JUST SAY NO!! Also, I don't have any kind of plan that involves any kind of data plans/features...I have a basic family plan.
    thats for sprint... what about for Nextel? Its a different (ish) phone (8350i) and a different network (iDen)
    08-03-09 06:15 PM
    Since sprint/nextel are together...I think you can argue with them and force them to give it to you without the data plan...TRust me...I know a guy that works at verizon and he says that they are required to sell data plans with the blackberrys but if the customer fights enough and argues they will just sell the blackberry. Just argue and see where u can get with it...they will eventually give it to you.
    08-03-09 06:17 PM
    off topic but can someone answer me whether or not I can use Wifi on a college campus on my blackberry for free since I don't have a data plan..I have SPrint and 8330
    08-03-09 06:19 PM
    ^^ Wow dude chill out. Did you notice that the phone was FREE? I just wanted to see if it could serve as a direct replacement for my old piece of junk phone. Maybe when I have more use for the data aspects I would have gotten a data plan in the future. Im 18 and college bound, I dont need to spend extra money on something I dont need and I refue to sign another contract (my nextel one is finally expired as of April) for the time being.

Basicly you are saying that I dont deserve to own a blackberry because I choose not to use EVERY feature that it has immediately? I see no point in doing email and web surfing on a 2.5" screen with buttons smaller than my fingers. I spend enough time on the computer to get all that done.

This phone would be useful, TO ME, as a PHONE first and formost, a messenger/texter, alarm clock, callender, address book (a damn good one too), simple games maybe, a memo pad, calculator, and (i just discoverd this yesterday) a music/video/picture player since my ipod broke, oh almost forgot the camera. I just dont care to do internet or email on my phone.

Well said my man. Some people above are just senseless. You can have a bb without data and its still good phone for so many reasons. I use mine for the same reasons that you stated. Even know it has email and internet, its main purpose is still a phone (a very good phone) too. It has a calendar, music player, memo pad, address book. A lot of things to do on a bb that dont require internet. Theres just to many haters on here. I guess they have nothing better to do with their lives.
    Last edited by YouBoysReady4Mexico; 08-03-09 at 06:35 PM.
    08-03-09 06:27 PM
    off topic but can someone answer me whether or not I can use Wifi on a college campus on my blackberry for free since I don't have a data plan..I have SPrint and 8330
    I dont think the 8330 has wi-fi at all dude which really sucks IMO. I may be wrong but im pretty sure it doesnt. 8320, and 8900 have wi-fi though. If your phone does have wi-fi, then yes you can use it at colleges free of charge. At least i could anyways lol!
    08-03-09 06:28 PM
    I agree BB without data plan is still AWESOME!! can't wait for mine to come in....i just ordered it.
    08-03-09 06:29 PM
    I dont think the 8330 has wi-fi at all dude which really sucks IMO. I may be wrong but im pretty sure it doesnt. 8320, and 8900 have wi-fi though. If your phone does have wi-fi, then yes you can use it at colleges free of charge. At least i could anyways lol!
    are u serious? ohh man that sucks...I googled "Blackberry 8330 specs" and clicked on the second link and under wireless networks it says that it does have this: Dual-band 800/1900 MHz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    I have no idea what that means...can someone else follow what i did and see if you can help me out...I would really appreciate it
    08-03-09 06:33 PM
    the 8350i also has Wi-Fi I hear
    08-03-09 06:35 PM
    never mind...I found out it does not have wifi thanks for the help guys!
    08-03-09 06:36 PM
    the 8350i also has Wi-Fi I hear
    oh yeah forgot about that.

Sorry skittles, no wifi man.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/8330-wifi-31436/
    08-03-09 06:38 PM
    are u serious? ohh man that sucks...I googled "Blackberry 8330 specs" and clicked on the second link and under wireless networks it says that it does have this: Dual-band 800/1900 MHz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    I have no idea what that means...can someone else follow what i did and see if you can help me out...I would really appreciate it
    from wikipedia

"United States: Alltel, Cellcom, Cellular South, Cricket Communications (from Leap Wireless), MetroPCS,nTelos, Sprint PCS, U.S. Cellular, Alaska Communications Systems and Verizon Wireless use 1x & EVDO."

should work for any of those carriers. Has nothing to do with wi-fi sorry
    08-03-09 06:38 PM
    Since sprint/nextel are together...I think you can argue with them and force them to give it to you without the data plan...TRust me...I know a guy that works at verizon and he says that they are required to sell data plans with the blackberrys but if the customer fights enough and argues they will just sell the blackberry. Just argue and see where u can get with it...they will eventually give it to you.
    Give what to you? If you want to activate a BB on VZW, a data plan is required, that is not negotiable.
    08-03-09 08:02 PM
    Give what to you? If you want to activate a BB on VZW, a data plan is required, that is not negotiable.
    even though sprint forces it on you...they DON'T require it...I know that verizon is putting the foot down and requiring people to get the data plan but don't be surprised if you see someone with a blackberry from verizon without a data plan...just saying that it can be done...its just harder with verizon, much easier with sprint.
    08-03-09 08:38 PM
    even though sprint forces it on you...they DON'T require it...I know that verizon is putting the foot down and requiring people to get the data plan but don't be surprised if you see someone with a blackberry from verizon without a data plan...just saying that it can be done...its just harder with verizon, much easier with sprint.
    Just for clarification, the data plan is not negotiable with VZW. It is a mandatory feature to activate. I don't know about Sprint's plans, but VZW has always required the data plan. There are extremely rare instances where a BB has been activated with the data plan missing on VZW, it's a mistake and it will be caught.
    08-03-09 09:53 PM
    never mind...I found out it does not have wifi thanks for the help guys!
    the 8830 world phone does but I think that you have to have a data plan for the wifi feature to work..... newer models than the curve I believe have wifi.
    08-03-09 11:54 PM
    Brother, you obviously don't get it!

No one is laying down any law, and sarcasm is always welcome!
    If you're too cheap to get a data plan, you're too cheap to own a Blackberry.

End of story!
    That's not laying down the law? You basically said "this argument is done because I say it's done!"
    I will say it again, if you are too cheap to get a data plan, you are too cheap to get a Blackberry!

There are several other phones out there that will do what a BB can do without a data plan. The real benefit of a BB is its data handling capabilities, especially its handling of email. If you are not going to use any of these capabilities, why get a BB and then complain that you need a data plan?

A cheap sub compact car will get you from your home to your office. So will an expensive Italian exotic car. Why buy the Italian car and then complain that you don't understand why the manufacturers insist you use premium gas in it?

Not looking for an argument, just pointing out the obvious!

I hope you find the time to continue this and other interesting Blackberry related discussions.

Have a great day
    I ordered three 8320s for my family. I'm the only one that has a data plan. Let's review the facts.
    • All three 8320's were free. Why get a lesser phone if the BB is free?
    • Parts are now interchangeable. We all have the same charger, headset, etc...
    • Training is easier since I know how to do so much on the Curve, as my work phone is also a Curve.
    • If my Curve dies, I can get a cheap "normal" phone for either of them and use their phone. Known in my line of work as a "hot spare."
    • After our two years are up, we should have three Curves to keep for backup phones.
    • My wife gets a full keyboard for texting, making it easier on her.
    • My daughter can have a 4Gb MP3 player with an inexpensive SD card.
    • I've never complained about them not having a data package.

Now, here's one reason to NOT get a Curve without a data plan, and this is called "logic," not just spouting out random pooh...
    I called T*Mo, and even though they used text messages, without a data plan, my daughter can't use AIM or Yahoo Messenger on her phone. So she's not happy about that. That alone will guarentee that her next phone isn't a Blackberry, so there's a lost sale for RIM. She's 12, figuring 2 year contracts, that's 3 less Blackberries sold over the next 6 years when she turns 18.

Looking forward to your rebuttal!

08-04-09 07:13 AM
    That's not laying down the law? You basically said "this argument is done because I say it's done!"

I ordered three 8320s for my family. I'm the only one that has a data plan. Let's review the facts.
    • All three 8320's were free. Why get a lesser phone if the BB is free?
    • Parts are now interchangeable. We all have the same charger, headset, etc...
    • Training is easier since I know how to do so much on the Curve, as my work phone is also a Curve.
    • If my Curve dies, I can get a cheap "normal" phone for either of them and use their phone. Known in my line of work as a "hot spare."
    • After our two years are up, we should have three Curves to keep for backup phones.
    • My wife gets a full keyboard for texting, making it easier on her.
    • My daughter can have a 4Gb MP3 player with an inexpensive SD card.
    • I've never complained about them not having a data package.

Now, here's one reason to NOT get a Curve without a data plan, and this is called "logic," not just spouting out random pooh...
    I called T*Mo, and even though they used text messages, without a data plan, my daughter can't use AIM or Yahoo Messenger on her phone. So she's not happy about that. That alone will guarentee that her next phone isn't a Blackberry, so there's a lost sale for RIM. She's 12, figuring 2 year contracts, that's 3 less Blackberries sold over the next 6 years when she turns 18.

Looking forward to your rebuttal!

LOL....this is gettin good........I gotta agree....your phones...you do with them as you please...and i like the resourcefulness on "hot swapping".....although i wouldnt blame RIM for the crippled IM apps.....I think thats a carrier decision......
    08-04-09 07:47 AM
    stubbornswiss is not worth arguing with. just look at the s/n, theres just no point. As far as your daughter's dilema goes, you can try to set up the messengers on the computer and set up forwarding through texting. I have done that on AIM, not with a BB, but it should work with normal texting.

I have decided to trade my phone for a 8350i. Then I will try to wrangle nextel out of having to have thier plan by threatening to cancel my plan completely (I can do that since my contract is far over). If that doesn't work I will just turn it into a boostberry and use thier $50 a month unlimited plan, cheaper than nextel's data plan that isnt even unlimited.
    08-04-09 08:58 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD