Hi all. I was just given an 8310 yesterday and I unlocked it (thanks to the help of this forum), and popped my Nextel SIM card in. It recognises the card and everything, but I am getting no signal (get the red SOS icon in the upper right hand- what does this mean?)

I called Sprint customer support and they say I need a data plan to register the phone in thier system. My old blackberry (a piece of crap 7520) worked fine without a data plan. I dont want to get a data plan- what a waste of money for my useage. I just want it to be a phone, texter, camera and maybe an alarm clock. If I want to do internet and email, I can do that on the computer. Any suggestions?

If it helps, the SIM card number ends in 330 and is a 128k nextel card.

Thanks, Chris
    08-01-09 10:27 PM
    Well some companies are actually requiring a data plan which I think is unnecessary. I have a 8320 with tmobile and i dont have a data plan. But i do like my wi-fi. .

I just went on to the sprint website and it looks like you will need SOME kind of data plan.

I do not know if this also includes the 8310 though

About plans for this phone
    08-01-09 10:35 PM
    I almost think at this point that I would have been better off not unlocking it (wasting 24 dollars) leaving the ATT sim card in there and for what sprint wants I could get a plan from ATT, whom are better when it comes to smart phones and data plans (even though overall I like Nextel more)
    08-01-09 10:55 PM
    I almost think at this point that I would have been better off not unlocking it (wasting 24 dollars) leaving the ATT sim card in there and for what sprint wants I could get a plan from ATT, whom are better when it comes to smart phones and data plans (even though overall I like Nextel more)
    You've lost all creditably in my book for saying that AT&T comment.
    08-01-09 10:58 PM
    You've lost all creditably in my book for saying that AT&T comment.
    ... and you lost all credibility by spelling it wrong.

@ the OP. Most CDMA carriers require a data plan of some sort for all BlackBerrys
    08-01-09 11:04 PM
    lmao that was awesome man. I personally like t-mobile just because its cheap, reliable, awesome coverage, and im not required to have a data plan. Oh and i got my bb for 25 bucks.

I dont know much about AT&T and Sprint though. I know verizon requires you to get a full data plan. Ive heard good things about Sprint but ive also heard good things about AT&T.

Do what you want to do though. You now have a Sprint sim card and a AT&T sim card right? Its now all about the plans. Just do some researching on the sites..
    08-01-09 11:21 PM

@ the OP. Most CDMA carriers require a data plan of some sort for all BlackBerrys
    OWNED!!!! lmfao!
    08-01-09 11:23 PM
    Nextel is not a CDMA carrier nor is it GSM, its an IDEN network. Nextel sim won't work in a GSM phone. Plus nextel won't actiavte it. And yes sprint/nextel requires data on all blackberrys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 11:32 PM
    AT&T will try and get you to get a data plan, but your not required to.
    Like the comments about CDMA carriers most do require some sort of a data plan. Pick the cheapest one or leave them and go to T-mobile or AT&T.

And about those $25 to unlock it OUCH! I could have done it for $10 or $6 if you had one of the promo codes to my site.
    08-01-09 11:42 PM
    I mean...why get a BlackBerry if you're just going to use it for calls, texting, camera, and maybe alarm clock? Seems silly to me...
    08-01-09 11:45 PM
    I agree with that,it has many more uses than that.
    08-01-09 11:49 PM
    Why not though? Your saying just because you dont have internet, it makes it a crappy phone? Its still a great phone without it. So many features and so many downloadable files also. Most of them have at least a 2 mp camera and video recording. You can put a pretty good size sd card in it. There are so many features on a blackberry that have nothing to do with internet. All the different settings is what puts it right up there with all the other top phones. It has a micro usb port which a lot of computers and other devices have (interchangeable is a plus). It has a audio jack that works with any type of headphones. And to top it all off, it has a kickass main button, THE TRACKBALL!!! Its always nice to have internet to look up something on the spot, but its not necessary. Just because you dont get internet with your bb DOES NOT make it useless. ITS FAR FROM IT!!!

If I wanted a cool internet phone, I would have gone with the iphone. But Overall, the blackberry is way better in so many aspects. You cant just look at 1 thing when your looking to buy a phone.
    08-02-09 12:43 AM
    I had a BB pearl and cancelled my data and it was fine. I have sprint also. However, I switched the the anything unlimited plan and data is included so I do not know if they changed the rules recently
    08-02-09 12:45 AM
    Why not though? Your saying just because you dont have internet, it makes it a crappy phone? Its still a great phone without it. So many features and so many downloadable files also. Most of them have at least a 2 mp camera and video recording. You can put a pretty good size sd card in it. There are so many features on a blackberry that have nothing to do with internet. All the different settings is what puts it right up there with all the other top phones. It has a micro usb port which a lot of computers and other devices have (interchangeable is a plus). It has a audio jack that works with any type of headphones. And to top it all off, it has a kickass main button, THE TRACKBALL!!! Its always nice to have internet to look up something on the spot, but its not necessary. Just because you dont get internet with your bb DOES NOT make it useless. ITS FAR FROM IT!!!

If I wanted a cool internet phone, I would have gone with the iphone. But Overall, the blackberry is way better in so many aspects. You cant just look at 1 thing when your looking to buy a phone.
    Oh no I agree with you that BBs are awesome for many things, but the OP only said s/he wanted it for phone calls, texting, camera, and maybe alarm clock - didn't mention anything else. If the OP wanted the BB for all the other apps and stuff well then I understand, but if you just want basic (by today's standards) phone functions there are literally hundreds of other phones to choose from, why choose a smartphone like a BB if you just want basic functions? Just seems silly.

In short: agreeing with you, confused w/the OP (:
    08-02-09 01:26 AM
    Oh no I agree with you that BBs are awesome for many things, but the OP only said s/he wanted it for phone calls, texting, camera, and maybe alarm clock - didn't mention anything else. If the OP wanted the BB for all the other apps and stuff well then I understand, but if you just want basic (by today's standards) phone functions there are literally hundreds of other phones to choose from, why choose a smartphone like a BB if you just want basic functions? Just seems silly.

In short: agreeing with you, confused w/the OP (:
    lol gotchya.
    08-02-09 01:36 AM
    I "chose" it because it was free. My old phone is a motorola i836 that sucks, always dropping signal and whatnot. Plus a smartphone is the only kind that has QWERTY keyboard that can be used on nextel.
    08-02-09 07:47 AM
    Not true. They i465 clutch just came out with a full QWERTY keyboard. And with an upgrade, after rebates its only $40

08-02-09 02:50 PM
    Thanks for that. I will look into that phone, however I wont get any rebates. I am on my mom's plan to make things cheaper, and she doesn't want to renew the contract in case things get tight.

So there is no way to make this phone work on Sprint/Nextel, even with a data plan?
    08-02-09 06:18 PM
    No. You cannot use an 8310 on Sprint or Nextel. It's a GSM only device. Sprint is CDMA and Nextel is iDen. Sorry.

You might try selling it (if that's an option) and using the money to get a compatible device.
    08-02-09 06:42 PM

Hahahaha +1 on that!!

Also I don't get why people would want a BB if hey can't afford or want data. WTF...

08-02-09 07:19 PM
    Hahahaha +1 on that!!

Also I don't get why people would want a BB if hey can't afford or want data. WTF...

Look at my post on the 1st page of this thread and you will kno why people like blackberries. Just because you dont get internet with your bb doesnt make it a ****ty phone.
    Last edited by YouBoysReady4Mexico; 08-02-09 at 07:37 PM.
    08-02-09 07:23 PM
    Please don't use profanity in your posts. Thanks.
    08-02-09 08:07 PM
    Thanks for that. I will look into that phone, however I wont get any rebates. I am on my mom's plan to make things cheaper, and she doesn't want to renew the contract in case things get tight.

So there is no way to make this phone work on Sprint/Nextel, even with a data plan?
    In that case, its $240 without a contract.

08-03-09 01:50 AM
    If you're too cheap to get a data plan, you're too cheap to own a Blackberry.

End of story!

08-03-09 07:12 AM
    Thanks for laying down the law there. Now we all know that a BB without data is completely useless and won't even work as a phone.[/sarcasm]

There's hundreds of reasons to have a BB and not pay for data. I'd discuss but I can see that you have made up your mind already, and I don't feel the need to waste any of my time.
    08-03-09 07:46 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD