A few weeks ago I dropped something on my 8320. It broke the front lens only - NOT the screen. I bought a new lens on ebay for $15, put it on - being VERY careful to keep dust out, and all was good - not a spec of dust inside. NOW it's really dusty in there. I dunno how it got in there, I am assuming through the ear-hole. The original lens didn't allow it, but maybe this aftermarket lens has a little spot that the dust can sneak in - I don't know.

My question is, can I easily take the phone apart to get in between the lens and screen, or is it easier to take the lens off, clean it, and put a new one on? If I CAN do it from the other side, could someone forward a link that shows instructions on dismantling it.

Thanks in advance!!
    10-09-08 09:20 PM
    You can take off the front plate, using a t5 screwdriver to clean it out, there are vids on youtube for taking apart the blackberry, its pretty simple.
    10-09-08 09:36 PM
    Warning disassembling your device will void your warranty
    10-09-08 09:41 PM
    Use a screwdriver to clean a lens off? What the heck? You can take the lens off and clean it, or you can take apart the whole thing and clean it out. I just took mine apart yesterday, it's not too difficult. If you look in the FAQ forum there is a thread with links on how to get the BB apart.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 09:42 PM
    Use a screwdriver to clean a lens off? What the heck? You can take the lens off and clean it, or you can take apart the whole thing and clean it out. I just took mine apart yesterday, it's not too difficult. If you look in the FAQ forum there is a thread with links on how to get the BB apart.

It didnt read like i meant it.. take it apart using a screw driver, the front plate. Obviously.
    10-09-08 09:44 PM
    The original lens has a seal between the lens and LCD...when you take the original lens off that seal is broken and it can't get brought back. Therefore yes, dust will get in...get some compressed air and take the faceplate off and squirt away!
    10-09-08 09:44 PM
    It didnt read like i meant it.. take it apart using a screw driver, the front plate. Obviously.
    I knew exactly what you meant - Thank You
    10-09-08 09:47 PM
    The original lens has a seal between the lens and LCD...when you take the original lens off that seal is broken and it can't get brought back. Therefore yes, dust will get in...get some compressed air and take the faceplate off and squirt away!
    I guess that explains it. It just kinda sux that after only like 1 week, it had dust...now it has aa pretty good amount. Guess I have to find a T5 screw driver and clean it every other week!!
    10-09-08 09:49 PM
    You dont really need to every other week.. but like someone said, the adhesive probably isnt there anymore like the stock case.. I get dust under mine, but if I hold it right, I cant see it LOL

Ill clean it out when I get my newer housing, I think I have had this one on about a month, needs a clean, but I can wait.. its not buggin me
    10-09-08 09:58 PM
    wow. Rachel, am I to infer from your experience that getting dust under the lens is a common problem?
    10-10-08 12:04 AM
    wow. Rachel, am I to infer from your experience that getting dust under the lens is a common problem?
    i heard plenty of people get dust under the screen. its pretty common. there is dust under my screen. its a simple process like she said, take to face plate off and clean. end of story.
    10-10-08 12:06 AM
    thanks Greg. I figured that it wouldn't be too hard to get the dust out, but was just a bit surprised that it could get in so easily. haven't had that problem yet, but then again, my berry is only three weeks old...
    10-10-08 12:11 AM
    thanks Greg. I figured that it wouldn't be too hard to get the dust out, but was just a bit surprised that it could get in so easily. haven't had that problem yet, but then again, my berry is only three weeks old...
    yea it likes to sneak in on the right side some times.
    10-10-08 12:14 AM
    I've seen sand in the desert get into sealed liquid filled guages so no matter what you do you're never going to keep it totally dust free. It's just one of those things you can't do anything about. The only solution is clean it when you can't stand it anymore. At least that's what I do.

10-10-08 02:07 AM
    I can deal with the cleaning. at least the berry can be disassembled enough to make it possible. that's more than what can be said for some of my other devices that really drive me nuts. especially my Alpine faceplate in the car
    10-10-08 10:44 AM
    You shouldn't need to clean it because you have the original seal around the LCD and the lens. It prevents dust from getting in. These issues are with aftermaket housings and lenses.

Most bb owners swap out their housing at some point I think
    10-10-08 12:50 PM
    You shouldn't need to clean it because you have the original seal around the LCD and the lens. It prevents dust from getting in. These issues are with aftermaket housings and lenses.

Most bb owners swap out their housing at some point I think
    this is true in my case, i have replaced my housing. but i have two friends that have not replaced theirs and they have dust. care to explain that?? stuff just happens
    10-10-08 01:04 PM
    dust is dust is dust.. nothing is ever dust free/tight..eventually
    10-10-08 01:05 PM
    dust is dust is dust.. nothing is ever dust free/tight..eventually
    i second that!!
    10-10-08 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD