hi ive posted before regarding my unlocked at&t blackberry curve and the pains i am getting to activate the data service.The curve has just been introduced in trinidad where im based and all curves available through my provider appear to be able to connect to the blackberry service that my provider (tstt) offers except mine.I have entered their APN,signed up for the blackberry service but edge still remains in common letters.I unlocked my phone thinking that it would unlock both data and voice but now my provider is telling me that my phone may be data locked by at&t and may need to be data unlocked?..is there such a thing or are they just messing me up.Maybe it is that i got a faulty phone??...i dont know...just wondering if anyone has some advice or has been thru a similar thing...thanks a million
    08-10-07 11:33 PM
    Have your provider push service books to your device and ensure they have your device registered in their data base as well as the rim relay.
    08-12-07 07:16 AM
    I really don't think a service provider would BS you out off taking their service, esp since that's their source of income, and they actually sell phones for less that the pay for it What you need to check would either be the OS version on the handset as some OS versions don't get the service books from other carriers, and I believe the "data lock" would actually be if the handset was activated with another carrier. Part of RIM's security feature is a universal blackberry database, which prevents a device from being activated with numerous carriers (too discourage sale of stolen devices). If this was done, only the carrier it was activated with would be able to release it, to be able to be activated again. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by whizzard; 08-26-07 at 12:53 PM.
    08-26-07 12:48 PM
    Edit.......
    Last edited by Jamdiver; 07-16-08 at 03:19 PM. Reason: EDIT
    08-26-07 10:03 PM
    I believe the "data lock" would actually be if the handset was activated with another carrier.
    I don't think that's the case. I've had the same issue with a Verizon phone. I contacted them many times regarding this issue, and all reps swore to me that my PIN is not in the global RIM database.

However I am still unable to activate BB data plan with another provider. There is something more which is the "data lock" setup by the providers (in my case Verizon). I suspect it is something similar to the "phone lock", but it is for the data side not the GSM (i.e. calls & sms) side. Not sure if it's hardware or software based lock.
    09-04-09 02:01 PM
    did you get this issue resolved?
    09-05-09 01:26 PM
    I don't think that's the case. I've had the same issue with a Verizon phone. I contacted them many times regarding this issue, and all reps swore to me that my PIN is not in the global RIM database.

However I am still unable to activate BB data plan with another provider. There is something more which is the "data lock" setup by the providers (in my case Verizon). I suspect it is something similar to the "phone lock", but it is for the data side not the GSM (i.e. calls & sms) side. Not sure if it's hardware or software based lock.
    Did you manage to fix it?
    Cause I have a Verizon Tour that's efficiently a basic cell phone now. I can call and text with my local provider but I cant use any of the DATA services
    09-09-09 09:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD