Is there any way to assign a custom ringtone (such as "Who Are You") to unknown/private calls whenever a caller ID is blocked? I could do it on my old phone and haven't figured out a way to do it with my new Curve. Is there a way to add "Unknown Caller/Private Caller to the address book to do this?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm new here and to a new BB Curve w/ Verizon.

Thanks,
    05-16-09 12:05 PM
    You have to make an exception in your profile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 12:13 PM
    Okay, I've looked at making an exception in the profile, but how do your get unknown/private callers to be an exception?

Thanks, again
    05-16-09 12:23 PM
    thats always been a major concern for me too
    05-16-09 12:27 PM
    Goto Profiles - scroll down to advanced - hit the menu key and select New Exception. When that screen comes up, the cursor will be at the top of the screen and it says From. Type in UNKNOWN; Unknown Number. Than just select whatever ringer you want. I have mine set to mute. I also did this for PRIVATE and Private Number.

Hope that helps ya!

05-16-09 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply and info. Unfortunately, I still can't make it work.

Is it "Private Number; Private Number" with the semi-colon" I've tried it with it, without it, just putting in "Private number" "Private," "Unknown" with and without the semi-colon and "number/caller" after it.

Can you please let me know if the semi-colon is supposed to be there or not?

Again, I'm very grateful for all the help.
    05-16-09 01:04 PM
    In mine I typed "Private Number" and it works no problem...
    05-16-09 01:38 PM
    Thanks for all the help but this getting really frustrating.

I have tried "Private Number" in the "exception" field and nothing in the "From" field. I've tried "Private Number" in the "exception" field and "Private Number" in the "from" field (and even made an address entry called "Private Number" to be able to do that--both with and without an entry called "private number" in a phone number field in the address entry) and still can't make it work. Aarrghhh!
    05-16-09 02:13 PM
    Under advanced profiles does it show use active profile except for: Private Number, Unknown Number and if it does when you select one of them is it checked for custom phone tune: MUTE?
    05-16-09 02:21 PM
    Yes to both.
    05-16-09 02:30 PM
    I get several calls from UNAVAILABLE and from PRIVATE.

Went in my addy book and created 2 new contacts: Private & Unavailable. I gave each contact 3 phone numbers: private, unknown, & unavailable (had to hold the ALT key to type letters in the number fields). Assigned a ringtone for the two contacts in the address book options which automatically created the exception (I did NOT have to go to Profile & perform a separate function). It worked!

05-18-09 11:39 PM
    I have tried all of these suggestions and I am still unable to get it to work...no matter what, calls from Unknown/Private #s come through. Any thoughts?!
    01-16-10 03:01 PM
    Yeah always wondered this too
    01-16-10 03:06 PM
    I too would like a designated ringtone for a private caller. Can someone please talk me through the steps? Like where is profiles located and so on? Thank you!!
    06-18-10 08:28 PM
    I have the 8530 Curve...would that make a difference? Thanks for the help!
    06-18-10 08:44 PM
    Thanks for this really helpful 'tweak.' I have always wanted to do this, but never knew where to look!
    06-22-10 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD