Hello, Crackberry!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I had a question about a recently purchased curve 9360 - I'm prepping it up for a friend so that they can use it on the FIDO network in Canada. The phone is currently locked to the KOODO network. I'll be buying an unlock code over the weekend. I'll enumerate my questions for ease in answering-

(1) Just wanted know if it's better to unlock first and then update, or to update first, and then unlock it (or no real difference).

(2) Am I able to install the FIDO version of the OS with no problems- or must I update only with the Koodo version. I want to update the software, but also want to make sure that the SplashScreen is the Fido one.

(3) I use mobileunlocked to get my codes. Recently been seeing some guys on eBay advertising codes for $3. Any thoughts or recommendations that you'd like to make?

(4) I have a backup file from the old phone (before it completely died out). Am I able to restore the backup file to the new phone without using the old phone?

That's really all for now. I appreciate the time anyone takes to read and reply- thanks very much for your help!

Have a great weekend.
    09-27-13 07:37 PM
    I can give you a code. PM me your IMEI, MEP and PRD.
    snake992145 likes this.
    09-27-13 07:49 PM
    I don't believe it will make any difference if you load the OS before or after it's unlocked. Just remember to delete the vender.xml files from your computer before installing if it's not from the service provider.

As far as the splash screen, i'm pretty sure that will stay what ever the phone's branding is.

And lastly, yes you can restore the old backup from the old phone on the new one.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the unlocking providers.
    Lendo and snake992145 like this.
    09-27-13 07:55 PM
    Awesome. Will do - though I can see the PRD and IMEI, whereabouts do I find the MEP?
    09-27-13 08:06 PM
    Ok so I wanted to update this thread with final notes in order to provide an appropriate conclusion.

I managed to update the software on the phone, and unlock the phone (many thanks to Lendo the super duper moderator who helped me out with the unlock code). Once unlocked, all I had to do was connect the phone and restore the data from the old backup to the new phone, and presto, all is fine and like it was previously.

One thing though, the splash screen cannot be changed easily, and was certainly not worth the hassle in my case.

Again, LENDO will forever be a legend among this crackberry user.
    Lendo likes this.
    09-27-13 10:29 PM
    You're very welcome and I'm glad I could help.
    09-27-13 11:20 PM