Am I the only one around here who thinks QC was out to lunch when they released this model? I'm a long-time bb user, starting with the 8700 (I think) after converting from the Palm TREO. Then I was seduced by the small, ultralight Pearl, that I could keep in my pocket (tres cool) instead of geekily on my belt. But I hated the keyboard and Autotext. It never really anticipated what I was actually thinking - especially certain 4-letter words, even after I added them to the dictionary. Then the trackball broke, about an hour after the warranty expired, and couldn't be fixed! "No parts". On a model that's still in current production. What's that all about?

So instead of fighting "Customer Service" or "Warranty" I used this as an excuse to "upgrade" to the Curve. I also liked the idea of Telenav built in to the phone instead of needing a separate device like I had on the Pearl.

Problems right out of the box. Wouldn't synch properly with Outlook. Took hours of downloading and redownloading to get it to work without crashing, and understand I've been using the Desktop Manager for years. Then Telenav quit. Again, it took hours to get it reconfigured properly.

A couple of weeks later it stopped synching again AND Telenav quit again. 5 days after the "Return" period expired. How do it know? (sorry, old joke)

So, after hours of fighting with CS and Warranty I finally agreed, reluctantly, to accept a "refurbished" replacement. I know I'm not the only one who has received a "refurbished" replacement that was simply a bunch of somebody else's problems, recycled. I guess they figure nobody will notice. And sure enough, within days, it wouldn't synch, navigate, or access the net. Actually, it worked fine in my office parking lot; just wouldn't work in such out-of-the-way places as Tribeca (the one in New York City, near the financial district) or New Haven, CT. I told them I already knew how to get to my parking lot. They failed to see my wry humor.

So now I have yet another "Refurb". Seems "policy" is that you have to get 3defective replacements before they will consider "other options" (?). This one seems OK so far, except for the trackball occasionally sticking. We'll see. Anybody know how to get a unit that's actually been inspected prior to shipping?
    08-02-08 08:09 AM
    Sorry you're having problems. I ordered mine from Telesales the day it was released and haven't encountered any problems yet. These forums are full of helpful, knowledgable people. I'm positive you can post a question and someone will answer it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-08 08:16 AM
    Misleading topic...its not the curve that sucks its a culmination of things you've listed:
    A) Your phone company sucks
    B) Choice to accept a refurb phone
    C) Thinking that Telnav is great, better options out there
    D) Not a single mention of a curve specific issue

I've had a curve for a while from rogers....use live search/bb maps for my gps, rogers doesn't lock anything so my curve rocks. People have to realize that the curve isn't the iphone...thank god. Read the forums, grab some good software and you'll see the hype for the newer BBs.
    08-02-08 08:17 AM
    I am wondering if you may not have a PC problem. There have been several reports of BlackBerrys not connecting to USB ports. Perhaps you should try a different USB port, one that does not go via a USB hub would be best.

Question: does the charge icon appear beside the battery symbol when you connect to the PC? It should do all the time.
    08-02-08 08:33 AM
    Most of the problems you speak of seem to be software related. Also, the Curve may suck for you, but there are too many people here with them that dont have issues at all.

As Crisp said, you dont have issues related directed to the Curve. There are many knowledgeable people here who can help you out.
    08-02-08 08:39 AM
    I haven't had any problems at all with my Curve, but I do have a different model and company. If it isn't a computer problem like Pete mentioned, you probably have a defective device that you need to replace. You know you could have gotten a new trackball for your Pearl for about nine bucks, twelve bucks delivered. Your warranty was expired so no harm trying to replace .
    08-02-08 08:43 AM
    Sorry, folks. You guys are way too defensive!
    1. I've been with AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for years. They're certainly better than TMobile, and Sprint doesn't even deserve mention

2. It's not the software and it's not the PC. My Pearl, 8300, and several Palms worked just fine.

3. Read what I wrote. I've had 3 different Curve units in 8 weeks. All arrived with problems.

4. I didn't accept the Refurb by choice. I went as far up the ladder as I could and still get some work done. Only remaining choice was complain to VISA and buy another phone. Don't have time for that crap.

5. IT'S THE QC!!
    08-02-08 08:54 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry *sigh*

Way to make an entrance
    08-02-08 08:59 AM
    sounds like a bit of bad luck. i have not had a single problem with either of my curves....that being sad, welcome to cb!
    08-02-08 09:06 AM
    There is the old saying " a poor workman, blames his tool " I find it strange that each and everyone of the BB phone you had something was wrong it, including the Pearl. Let's call a Spade a Spade, none of the phones Pearl/Curve met your expectations, the only constant here is you.

08-02-08 09:10 AM
    When I said there are many knowledgable members here that could help, I wasnt kidding. They are the very ones that are responding to you now.

Sorry, folks. You guys are way too defensive!
    1. I've been with AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for years. They're certainly better than TMobile, and Sprint doesn't even deserve mention
    So, that "defensive" thing you think we have going on isnt defensive at all- you're the one with the problems; we're trying to help.

2. It's not the software and it's not the PC. My Pearl, 8300, and several Palms worked just fine.

I dont know anything about GPS software, so I'll just ask, is TeleNav dependent based on carrier?
    Do you have the latest version of DM. Did you upgrade the OS on any of your previous phones?

3. Read what I wrote. I've had 3 different Curve units in 8 weeks. All arrived with problems.

4. I didn't accept the Refurb by choice. I went as far up the ladder as I could and still get some work done. Only remaining choice was complain to VISA and buy another phone. Don't have time for that crap.

5. IT'S THE QC!!
    I read what you wrote. And again, it seems that the issues you are having are more software related than an actual problem with the Curve itself. If you are putting the same stuff on each phone from a backup, then where ever that backup went wrong, you're just transferring the problem from one phone to the other. I am guessing you used a backup cause no one has time to install one app at a time.

Refurbs have been known to be rock solid. Unless you have a dark cloud following you every where you go, I cant imagine that EVERY phone you have gotten has been a problem. Many here can attest that their refurb worked better than the phone that STOPPED working properly.

If you really want help, then open your mind to the possibility that it's not the phone but user error- meaning that whatever you're putting on your phone is screwing up the matrix.
    08-02-08 09:12 AM
    I have a couple of suggestions.

1) go here Download site for Desktop Manager
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22 MAke sure to get v4.5 or 4.6

www.BlackBerry.com site for finding your carrier�s OS download site
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp The AT&T OS is 4.2.2.170 and that will work fine on your phone.

You will need to download both programs and install both BUT only after you have removed the older version of Desktop Manager.

2). you can buy a new trackball for your Pearl from here 8100 - Apple, Mobiado, Samsung, BenQ-Siemens, HTC, Alcatel, Microsoft, Sony, LG, 3G, No

There IS nothing wrong with the Curve. Millions have been sold. You have been VERY unlucky and we will help you make it work because we know that this is the normal state.

We all understand frustration, and yours is cetainly justified, but throw rocks in the CrackHouse and they tend to bounce right back atcha as I am sure you understand.

08-02-08 09:13 AM
    There is the old saying " a poor workman, blames his tool " I find it strange that each and everyone of the BB phone you had something was wrong it, including the Pearl. Let's call a Spade a Spade, none of the phones Pearl/Curve met your expectations, the only constant here is you.

Pete & Mc know what they are talking about. When they jump in a thread, it's all about providing help. When you're sole focus is quality control and apps that work poorly with your device, then you've already shut down the possibility that someone may know more than you do. It's called an unwillingness to listen.

And you're correct, the devices have changed- he is the only constant.

08-02-08 09:17 AM
    You're the one in a million that doesn't make the curve a bad phone.
    08-02-08 09:19 AM
    I love my Curve. No problems. Just waiting patiently for my Bold........
    08-02-08 09:30 AM
    Have 8330 Curve. Love it. Its a wonderful device. Everyone is entitled to there opinions, but if you give reasons for your opinions they need to be on point.

08-02-08 09:46 AM
    My husband and I both have Curves and neither of us have had any problems with syncing, GPS or coverage. We're with AT&T too. I think that if you could break it down into each specific area you're having problems with and provide as much detail as possible you might find that the helpful people on this site can help you. Sometimes you might think something is broken or not working simply because it's new to you and you don't fully understand it. If we all understood our Berries from day one, there would be no Crackberry.
    08-02-08 04:04 PM
    my curve ROCKS!
    08-02-08 04:15 PM
    ive had 3 curves and none of these issues (2 of which have been refurbs)
    i hope you find something that works for you
    Last edited by kickinitlive247; 08-02-08 at 04:24 PM.
    08-02-08 04:22 PM
    I have to put my two cents in. I have had my curve on the at&t network since April. It has had some moments that it maybe wasn't acting correctly like gps or net but that was my error. I forgot to shut down apps or I dl something that was screwing up stuff or I had to much stuff dl and my memory was to low. My point is I check crackberry and wow there were my answers I wasn't mad at the phone or carrier I just didn't know so I found out.

08-02-08 04:40 PM
    Been using a Curve for a while now after upgrading from a Pearl. Haven't had any problems. In my opinion as a person with a degree in electronics and having listened to your "symptoms" I think that you are probably having issues related to software, network, or your PC. Not your Curve. But maybe you are right and are just a very unlucky person who got 3 defective phones in a row. If that is the case then nothing we will say will help you. Just like coming onto a help board with a confrontational attitude and an unwillingness to listen won't help.

I wish you luck.

08-02-08 10:18 PM
    No problems with my curve! Every BB that I've ever owned has surpassed my expectations
    08-02-08 10:24 PM
    I have to put my two cents in. I have had my curve on the at&t network since April. It has had some moments that it maybe wasn't acting correctly like gps or net but that was my error. I forgot to shut down apps or I dl something that was screwing up stuff or I had to much stuff dl and my memory was to low. My point is I check crackberry and wow there were my answers I wasn't mad at the phone or carrier I just didn't know so I found out
    very good point
    same thing happened to me the first week
    08-02-08 10:25 PM
    my curve is running for vice president
    08-02-08 11:04 PM
    No problem with my Curve. It's a great device.
    08-02-08 11:06 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD